SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Late bag development

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal - Volume 1 » Late bag development « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
nonenonenoneFalse pregnancyTracy11-15-02  07:43 pm
nonenonenoneWhite on Teats ? Sarah14 05-03-05  08:50 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Sandy (65.58.177.81)
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 7 year old Appaloosa mare whose due date (340 days) is Mar. 9 2002. She is showing all other signs like she should be, tail head more prominent, softening of ligaments around pelvis, belly has dropped, but, she does not have a bag to speak of. It has always been my experience with my mares that they would make bag at least 4 to 6 weeks prior to foaling. I just purchased this mare 2 weeks ago, so do not know her usual foaling practices, but prior owner says she usually bags early and has no complications, and he even double checked her breed dates and they were Apr. 1,3 of 2001. What is the latest anyone has ever had a mare make bag?

Kelly (63.172.47.192)
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They can bag directly after foaling. However, most mares do follow the same pattern year after year. You may want to make certain that she is getting enough protein. There are supplements on the market that promote milk production.

She could go well over the expected 340 days, so do not be too worried yet. It is a good thing that you are aware, and can keep an eye on it. She may be one that goes longer than some.

Sandy (65.58.179.226)
Posted on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kelly,
I guess I'll look into the supplements for milk production, because as of today, there still is no significant change. I am feeding her some good quality alfalfa hay, plus she also gets a good grain blend that has alfalfa in it also. Her prior owner said she did go over a year pregnant last year, but still made bag on time. I'm thinking she's going to go well over her due date. I'll just hafta keep watching I guess....

Sandy (64.158.65.129)
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just an update. My mare is still not showing any signs of having a bag any time soon. With her due date being only a week and a half away, I'm beginning to think someone definitely has her breeding dates wrong. But I can't help but feeling that she is going to have this baby sooner than what her bag production is indicating. It's very frustrating.

Kelly (63.172.47.208)
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It can drive you nuts! You are doing a great job of observing her. Remember, she can go a year or more.

Keep an eye out, she can change dramatically within an 8 hour time frame. I have seen mares that did not look like they would foal at 6:00 in the evening, that were bagging and foaling at 3:00 am!

Sandy (65.56.46.157)
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya know, I almost have the feeling that is what this mare is going to do. By the way she has been acting lately, plus all of the other signs, I would swear she's ready to foal any day now, but still no bag!! It's crazy!! Not to mention what it's doing to me.... but I check on her at least twice a day, just to be on the safe side.

Sandy (64.158.65.82)
Posted on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, here we are at day 334 and still no bag on this mare. She does have a stretched out and deflated looking udder with some swelling on the right front. But as far as filling up, that's not happening.I was able to get a small fluid sample from her and I checked it for the calcium level. Well, according to that, she has a long time to go. I also checked a mare who still has 5 weeks to go, and it showed her calcium level as being higher than what it is in this mare.
I have never had a mare do this before, do you think I should be getting concerned at this point, or am I just getting over anxious?

Jess (142.166.249.16)
Posted on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 07:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandy, any new developments?

Sandy (65.56.45.157)
Posted on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, as of today, on the mares 341st day of gestation, she has a full bag. She did not have one yesterday, but when checked this morning, she has a full bag!! I've never seen this happen before, so now I'm wondering how long it will be before she foals. I am watching her very carefully, I'll tell ya that.

Linda Chandler (208.25.51.159)
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well,I have mare that is on day 352 and has no real bags to speak of..Ihave given up.heheEvery morning I go down and check and there is NO change..She is a maiden.Dates of breeding are for sure,since we only bred her on one cycle...Our other mare due in 2 weeks,has full bags,soft butt cheeks,milk,restless,vet checked cervix Sunday and said she should have a foal within 24hrs...It is now Tuesday..Go figure..All I know is that I need a good nights sleep..:)

sharon (216.46.205.27)
Posted on Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. My 18 year old mare is due in 4 days, no bag, not much softening...this is her sixth foal, hopefully she is just playing games with me, I am sure she knows what to do....her date has to be correct, she was bred on her foal heat, one time. I have not put down straw for her yet, seems she just is in no hurry. Last year she was 1-1/2 weeks late. Will be losing sleep soon enough!! Good luck all...

linda chandler (209.142.19.13)
Posted on Friday, May 03, 2002 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well,here we are day 355,still no changes....The other mare that the vet said would foal in 24 hrs hasnt foaled either .That was Sunday,today is Friday.:(...The fact that there are no noticible changes in the udder of the 355 mare kinda bugs me,but after reading on this list,i dont feel AS bad..hehe...Still could use a good nights sleep...

sharon (216.46.205.45)
Posted on Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update, mare at 340 days today, all of a sudden we have a full udder and I can see just about every vein in her belly. No dripping milk. Her vulva has softened over about a 6 hour period, really, about doubled in size today and bright red streaks inside. She is also moaning every once in a while, no contractions, maybe just a belly ache. Can this be it? Probably just messing with me again...eating like a little piggy. This is her sixth foal. Finally I have strawed her bed, just in case. I guess my sleepless nights start tonight!!

Sandy (65.58.178.49)
Posted on Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon,
I would check the color of the mare's milk before you start your sleepless nights. Is it still thin and water, or has it gone gooey?
My mare made a bag overnight at 340 days and had all the other signs at that time. Very relaxed vulva, very saggy in the croup, belly dropped, and she still didn't foal until 375 days.
But then again, my friend had a mare that made a bag and then foaled in three days. She had absolutely no bag at all then all of a sudden, whoosh, bag, then foaled three days later. But, you have to check on the milk. When that milk turns white, you know she will foal within 24 hours.
Good luck to ya!

sharon (216.46.205.137)
Posted on Sunday, May 05, 2002 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandy, thanks, I will do that...guess you are speaking from experience. She moaned and groaned til about 2 o'clock this morning and then stopped. Just uncomfortable I guess. Last time I touched her bag she squealed and got cranky with me, I wasn't going to mess with her, but I guess it is better than ME being grouchy from being up all night and then having to go to work!

Sandy (64.158.66.66)
Posted on Sunday, May 05, 2002 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon,
Oh yeah, I'm definitely speaking from experience.
I foaled out 3 mares of my own this year, and that milk change was definitely the final determiner for me. Once that milk changed, they foaled within 24 hours. Once you see that milk starting to go cloudy after it has already hit the gooey stage, then you can start your sleepless nights and being groucy at work!! Been there, done that!
She probably squealed when you touched her bag because it's uncomfortable. Just work with her a little bit, she'll let you touch it before too long. It'll be good practice for her anyway before the foal gets here.
Let us know when she foals. It'll be interesting to see how long it is after she made that bag.
One thing I found interesting, all three of my mares foaled approx. 34 days after making bag. Kinda a weird observation I thought. Two of them were exactly 34 days and the other was 35.

linda chandler (208.25.50.105)
Posted on Monday, May 06, 2002 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well,here we are day 359,no bags to speak of...The other mare whose cervix was loose and thin 8 days ago(the vet said within 24hrs)still hasnt foaled either....Although that mares udders are full and tight and have colostrom them.The maiden mare at 359 days has not bagged up at all...Her butt cheeks seem much softer today,but that is the only change....Last night on the monitor I saw the older mare looking at a dark blob on the screen and ran out to the barn in my jammies to find a big....shadow.....My husband had to tease me about that all morning.....I would feel better if the maiden would at least get SOME bags.....Is this normal???

Sandy (65.56.47.160)
Posted on Tuesday, May 07, 2002 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda,
When you had your vet out, did he also palp the maiden mare? I'm just wondering what he said if he did. I have heard of mares doing what your mare is doing, and it was a false pregnancy. But, being a maiden mare, she could just pull a fast one on you and make a bag after she foals. Or do what my friend's mare did, make a bag and foal three days later. I can totally understand your frustration, it starts to just drive you crazy after awhile.
Do you turn your older mare out during the day? If her cervix is thin and loose and bag is full and tight, I'd try walking her for 15 or 20 minutes if she's stalled up all day. Sometimes that will help things to progress a little quicker.
Keep us posted!!

linda chandler (209.142.18.84)
Posted on Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes,she palped the maiden,ha!Said the babywas BIG,especially for a Peruvian Paso...And she said it was very active.I turn both mares out every morning and today is day 361 for maiden,grrrr,no bags yet....:( Last night when I went to check them after coming home from work I noticed the maiden had been rubbing her tail and behind on the stall,hmmmmm....Doing this curious backing up and shaking her head...I will keep you posted.This had been one wierd foaling season for us...Thanks for your advice!!!!We will go take "walkies" this morning..hehe

linda chandler (208.25.54.41)
Posted on Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well,went out to check mares and the maiden actually has started to fill a little bit,her vulva is swollen and her vaginal area is bright red......I can see the she has been rolling,as there is dirt all over and rubbing her behind again....Hopefully soon??????pleeeease!!!

Sandy (65.56.45.69)
Posted on Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda,
Sounds good!! I bet that maiden mare is going to make a bag overnight and then foal within a couple of days of that. Start watching her, some mares can foal with what looks like very little bag. Especially if she is rubbing her butt on everything and she's shaking her head and rolling, she's getting close. I'm excited for you! All of my mares are done foaling for this year, so now I have to get excited for other people. It has been a weird foaling season for me too.

sharon (216.46.205.191)
Posted on Wednesday, May 08, 2002 - 05:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, here we are at day 344, I guess I have nothing to complain about yet....sounds like you all have a few weeks on us. My mare is not really progressing further, same signs, no wax, no milk (although finally a bag). On day 340 I was SURE it was it, she was moaning so much, but alas, here we sit. My biggest concern is that the foal is not ok as I have not seen much activity in there lately. I think we should just change due dates to 365 days, say a year and be pleased if it is earlier!!!....still on foal watch with you guys...good luck.

linda chandler (209.142.18.144)
Posted on Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

came home from work tonight and I cant believe how much Gracie(the maiden) has bagged up since I left for work!I am leaving the monitor on tonight.Will report in the morning.....

Sandy (64.157.22.232)
Posted on Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda, Sharon,
I'm dyin' here with anticipation, what's going on lately? Anyone progressing, any foals?

Linda chandler (208.25.52.111)
Posted on Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YIPPPEEEE!!!:) Gracie bagged up in 3 days waxed up yesterday morning,and foaled last night at 11pm..It was a big colt(for a Peruvian)..SHe started dripping milk about 940 and at 1048 her water broke and 1100 her came baby.Afterbirth came out within 15 minutes..Great easy delivery!Baby is a beauty..I thinkhe will be liver chestnut like mare,2 big rear socks,big diamond on forehead and a lil stripe....Very nice...Now,one more to go!Will keep you all posted....:)

sharon (216.46.205.21)
Posted on Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, Well, we are ONLY on day 346 or 347, ... not much news here, lots of laying down yesterday. Same dark pink vulva, bag has even gone down. I noticed what I thought was a bit of wax on the inside back leg yesterday, about 1/4 the size of a dime...couldn't see any on the teat, so I am not sure what that was about..maybe from laying down and getting up. Guess we may have a while, was hoping for a mother's day present, but don't think so....waiting waiting waiting.....will let you know progess. Last year was 1-1/2 weeks late, so that would put her mid-next week...sooner would be better. :) I am pretending when I see her that I could care less, but I think she has my number!!

Linda chandler (209.142.18.64)
Posted on Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well,good luck and keep us posted!Gracie went 4 weeks past what I THOUGHT was her due date.VERY frustrating!!!!Good luck......:)

Sandy (64.157.22.220)
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda,
What did I tell ya? She made a bag in three days and had her foal, I had a funny feeling that was going to happen. Glad to hear everything went well. What day of gestation did she finally foal at?
I would have to agree with the earlier post that we should consider 365 days as the due date and if they come earlier than that then we can be happy.
Sharon,
Just think, the baby has to come sooner or later, that's what I had to keep telling myself with my mares this year. Hang in there.

Linda chandler (209.142.18.111)
Posted on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandy,she foaled at day 363...I think that we should say the gestation is 365 too....Less stress ..hehe If it comes earlier,goodee...Just keep an eye on them.

sharon (216.46.205.244)
Posted on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI, posting under another thread too, hope not to duplicate, but don't want to miss you....well, at day 350 tomorrow, not much progress. Decided to use these last few days (or weeks!!) to do some serious barn cleaning and get ready for company to see the foal. That way I can play with baby and not feel guilty for letting my work go....
kinda like the burst of energy pregnant women get before labor!! :) :) keep on posting...

Sandy (64.157.20.189)
Posted on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,
Just had to let you guys know that I sold a mare about 2 months ago that was in foal to my stallion and just got a phone call tonight that she foaled today at about 4:30pm. Her new owner says she foaled a beautiful, very tall, black and white Appaloosa filly!! I just knew that mare was going to foal a wild colored foal if I sold her.....oh well. I'm going to go see the new filly tomorrow and take pics. But....I'm a grandma again! She foaled at 350 days.

sharon (216.109.204.173)
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

congrats!!!! 350 days, not too bad...bet you wished you would have kept her (?) Can't keep 'em all though. At least this way you can still visit :) Grandma's get priviledges sometimes without all the work and expense....

Tracy (67.250.177.148)
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 02:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone, I have been reading all these posts the last few days hoping to get some insight on my mares. I have 2 Arabian mares, both maiden due within 4 days of each other. One is at 326 days and is starting to bag up. I can milk clear yellowish fluid from her. The other mare is at 322 days and shows absolutely no signs what so ever. No bags, softening, swollen vulva, nothing!!!! My mare at 326 days rubbed the hell out of her tail this am. Could this mean something? I think all my hair is going to fall out before this is done :)

sharon (216.46.205.135)
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tracy, are you sure about the due date on the 326 mare? I have heard of that happening when they are close, but have not had one do it. I have although noticed tail hairs on the board in my mare's stall, so maybe she had been doing that when I am not looking :) (she's on day 351,352?, I don't know, losing count!). I have learned that they can have signs one day and nothing the next! bag can get hard and then deflate, enough to drive you nuts....keep on watchin'! ..p.s. you may want to do a search on "tail" "rubbing" and see if you come up with anything in the archives

Tracy (67.250.180.212)
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon, I'm positive on the due dates. We used ultrasound to detect a follicle and bred her twice. Pregnancy was then confirmed by ultrasound 18 days later. She's out in pasture right now and I keep running out to check on her, she's wringing her tail and she seem more swollen in the vulva but still has only clear yellow fluid when I milk her. By the time I get through this one, I have another one due 4 days later! I must have been nuts to breed 2 at the same time!

Sandy (65.56.44.178)
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon,
Yeah, I do wish I would've kept that mare now, but oh well....

Tracy,
Tail rubbing and pressing their butts against things are signs that they are getting close, but... don't think that means she'll go in the next couple of hours, or days even.
One of my mares this year started rubbing her butt like crazy on everything about 3 weeks before she foaled. Then a different mare didn't rub her butt until about a week before she foaled. And the third mare didn't rub her butt at all that I noticed, she just pressed it against the rails, or the fence, or the barn, whatever, but never rubbed her tail.
Just watch the milk, it can change in the matter of hours. One of my mares had clear yellow fluid one day, the next morning it was the thick honey, and by the afternoon it was white milk, and she foaled that night! It can change fast. But that milk is the best predictor you can have!

Tracy (67.250.82.106)
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sandy, thanks for the tip. So far her milk has stayed clear yellow, I've been checking it in the morning and then at night when I bring her in from pasture. The only change I've seen so far in her is now she just holds her tail up and occasionally "winks" but she seems very content and is standing quietly in her stall. I've waited 7 years to find the right stallion and breed her so now I'm very anxious!:) She's my baby so I really want to be there when she foals to make sure nothing goes wrong.
Sharon, has your mare foaled yet?

sharon (216.46.205.22)
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI, no foal yet!! day 352. No milk, hard bag and clear fluid. The night before last she was standing in the pasture and I thought she was trying to pee, but just squatting and walking, weird, maybe baby was pushing on something!! This mare was bred one time, on her foal heat, ultrasounded 3 weeks later and stiched (caslick) in foal. Her date is not off....I guess a lot of them are going over this year, maybe because of this really weird weather we are having (MICHIGAN!) We have had a few times I thought "this is it!" but false alarms....she didn't bag up til her due date...but come ON...that was two weeks ago :) Gotta love 'em!!

Tracy (67.250.176.209)
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I thought last night might be it but I was wrong :( For a few hours she was lifting her lip up, grinding her teeth, biting at her back legs and kicking at her abdomen. She also was off her grain and hay but now nothing. She's back to standing quietly in her stall and is eating fine. She's only at day 328 but I swear she's going to go soon. My other mare who is 4 days behind her shows nothing, still has not bagged up. Her nipples have gotten a little bigger but that's it. She'll probably end up delivering before my first mare!

esiverts (63.49.181.5)
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Numerous people on the Equine Repro email group have reported that alot of their mares have been going about 3 weeks over.

My friend, whose mare normally foals like clockwork within a couple days of 340, bagged up like she normally does, then went 2 1/2 weeks over... He was staying up all night with her (very anxious guy, and his favorite mare), sure that she would deliver each night... And no go... I had to laugh because I talked to him at about day 340, and he said, "She really looks like tonight's the night!" I called him a couple weeks later and his wife told me, "Oh, he's been sleeping all day. He was up with Fox all night last night waiting for her to foal." I'm sure I'll find that really funny right up until I'm sleeping outside for two weeks waiting on a late mare.....

sharon (216.46.205.34)
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

esiverts,
do you have a mare due? what day is she? just curious if you are in the waiting game this year :)

sharon (216.46.205.151)
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys, we had a filly!!! :) :) Details on the pregnant mare and foal chart page.

A worried mom (142.154.68.187)
Posted on Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 09:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I certainly feel a little better after reading this. I have a 16 year old maiden mare who is on day 370 and she has had me worried. She is huge, her udder has just begun to fill in the last couple of days - no milk or wax yet. Her vulva is relaxing but the muscles in her hind end are still quite firm. Is there any thing I can do? I am on pins and needles!

Kelly (63.172.47.246)
Posted on Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 03:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just observe and be ready! Any day now!

a worried mom (142.154.68.34)
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is at day 372 - no significant change. Not much milk or softening around her hind. Vet came out and said everything was fine. How much longer can she go?

Jos (142.177.7.143)
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

417 days is the longest recorded pregnancy with a resulting live foal.

Be patient!

a worried mom (142.154.64.111)
Posted on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your reply. It is just worrying waiting. I certainly hope i won't have to wait any where near that long and that it will be soon.

ELizabeth Hardy (12.38.198.125)
Posted on Tuesday, September 10, 2002 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sinful is at day 321..if I have calculated this right last breeding date by AI was 10/23/2001. (she has been off reguamte since Aug 14) foal has dropped lower in her belly and she has not really bagged up yet but is starting; teats are defintely larger.. and she is rubbing her butt like crazy ( anyone know how to save a nice tail)... but the other signs are not there yet.. I think she is going to be like Dam and sneak the foal by everyone....

Vet was out on Monday and agreed with the breeder's estimate 3 more weeks.. So I sit an wait. Foal watch in the heat of TX. is really the pitts...

Anonymous
Posted From: 151.213.157.235
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 01:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worried Mom,

Let us know when the foal comes, It's killing me to know

Trisha
Posted From: 64.65.233.43
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hard when the stories aren't followed up! I always want to know, but having had my filly this Spring, I thought of nothing but the barn after delivery. My instructor was worried before we delivered in April since the udder was so small, ordered milk and colostrum replacer and everything. In the last 36-48 hours, the mare's udder went from an "A-B" cup to a double D, dripping with wax. It was amazing. Each one will do it their own way!

Elizabeth
Posted From: 205.188.208.72
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 12:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trisha I do agree and am horribly sorry that I did not f/u on My 9/10/2002 post

okay here is the scope my mare did foal at 2 am on 9/13/2002

the day after I wrote that post the mare bagged up and waxed by 9/12/2002 she was in the early stages of labor we just did not see til later.

She delivered a healthy black bay filly

as of today I suspect she is pregnant again ( long story..but ultrasound in July 03 said no pregnancy) yet she now appears pregnant andvet to come and do a Estrogen Assay tomorrow..

Anyone is free to email me at elizabethktg@aol.com

again so sorry for not post ing follow up..

Trisha
Posted From: 64.65.233.43
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, it is not really a big deal. I find it amusing, these boards are addictive. You get so involved in peoples stories! I am so happy yours had a happy ending!
I wonder how often they miss pregnancies on ultrasound. My mare was AI'd in September, but was checked not in foal by two different vets. My sister who was doing the breeding bought a weanling from the same stud instead since my mare is coming up on 21...we thought it would be best to let her ease quietly into semi-retirement instead of breeding again, especially when this fantastic filly came up for sale. Well, she never went back into heat...it was close to transitional time anyway. I told my sister that knowing Abby she will turn up pregnant in the Spring now that we have the alternative!
Good luck with the the hormone stuff, I hope it all works out!

Elizabeth
Posted From: 205.188.208.72
Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trisha Well just to get back to you the Blood work was negative so she is not Pregnant :-(

Good luck with your mare.. I hope she is pregnant .. it would be a nice surprise

Trisha
Posted From: 209.187.120.129
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, that is sad. I am sorry. Before Abby had Soph, she lost one around 2-3 mos. I had it named and everything. Isn't it amazing how easily we get attached in utero?
I am not holding my breath, although I have found a really good deal on a Trakehner, so I am considering rebreeding her this year anyway. You know if I decide to go ahead with that plan she will be pregnant, just to spite me! sigh.
Are you planning on breeding her again? If so, good luck!

Dana
Posted From: 68.118.37.222
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 01:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So glad I found this forum tonight! I have a mare that is due in three days (340days) and is showing no signs at all. No bag, and no softning. I am 100% on her breeding date because I own the stallion. You have all eased my mind a bit about the 340 day due date. I will be patient and keep you posed on her progress!

Dana
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 01:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question about iodine on the navel? I have always put iodine on my foals navels then I found this on the internet tonight:

"The umbilical stump is exposed to the environment, and can easily become infected. The infection can spread through the blood vessels to the liver, and even into the general circulation, causing fever, illness or death. Prevention involves keeping the foal in as clean an environment as possible, and bedding the foal on straw, not shavings, for the first week of life. In addition, the umbilicus should be dipped twice daily in a 0.5% chlorhexadine (brand names are Nolvasan or Virosan - your veterinarian can obtain this solution for you) solution. Do not use iodine solutions of any kind. Tincture of iodine is damaging to tissues, and can even increase the incidence of infection. Betadine is not a strong enough antiseptic for this area."

Anyone ever have trouble with iodine???

Sandy
Posted From: 64.158.66.167
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dana,
I have always used an iodine solution on my foals' navels, and have never had a problem with it.
As for your mare's due date, don't get too concerned if she goes over 340 days. I have read some things that have said that the earlier in the year a mare is due, they tend to go over 340 days more often than a mare who is due in the later part of the spring/early summer.
The latest I've had one of my mares go to was 375 days. It was a very strenuous waiting game! Then that same mare in 2003 foaled at 336 days. Seems like they just love to keep you guessing.
Let us know how your mare progresses!

Dana
Posted on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! Wow 375 days UGH! I will keep you updated on her progress. I had a mare when I was growing up (about 25 yrs. ago)who always went 30 days over. The first year we bred her and she went over the vet convinced up to induce her. We had very little horse knowledge at the time so we took his advise, big mistake! The foal never stood up so we called the vet back out and he put sugar water in the foal via IV. Within minutes the foal was dead. She had two more foals after that that were fine when born at 12mo.

Sandy
Posted From: 64.156.238.18
Posted on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I've heard that inducing a mare is not a good idea. I actually talked with my vet about that when my mare was at 365 days, and he told me that every instance when a mare was induced, it was a "train wreck", (his exact words). I wasn't sure what he meant by that, but I just took it to mean that it was just ugly! So, at 372 days, I had him come out and palpate the mare, just to ease my mind that everything was all right and that the foal wasn't dead or something. So, he palped her and said that the foal was definitely alive, everything felt good and he could actually feel the foal's muzzle and it was nibbling on his fingers! Isn't that just too cool?! So, at that point he guesstimated that she would go another 2 or 3 days, and sure enough, she foaled 3 days later. But once she hit 340 days, and didn't even have a bag yet, I have to admit, I was getting quite nervous. But everything turned out great. The birthing process went without a hitch at all.

Dana
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well today is 340 days from her last breeding and still nothing. My friend lost a foal last night
:-( second one this month. Both mares foaled early by about two month. She said it was a nice black and white colt. She is really baffled!!!

Sandy
Posted From: 67.31.180.227
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, at least be greatful that you know your mare isn't going to go early!
That's sad about your friend losing two foals. I had also lost two foals in one foaling season,(2002) and it is so discouraging, not to mention heart-breaking, but I keep on breeding my mares, and every year it turns out to be worth it.
I have a very dear friend, who actually got me started in the breeding business, who once told me "as long as you know you have foals coming, you will never die." So, I guess I'll just have to keep those foals coming!

Dana
Posted on Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing the mares have in common is she gave them both West Nile vaccines that she had to order from out of town. All other mare got vaccines bought locally. We are also very selenium deficient in our area.

Dana
Posted on Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just an update on my mare! She is at day 351 from her last breeding and still no signs at all! Hope this means it's a colt! I would be happy with even a little swelling in her udder. It still looks like a deflated little balloon! However I was happy to see the baby really kicking today! Patience, patience.......

Rhonda Barket
Posted From: 207.69.140.21
Posted on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 07:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a find this thread has been for our family! Thank you all so MUCH! We have a mare due in a few weeks and no bag. Her teats are swollen but no milk yet. Great information and relief for all.

Dana
Posted on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another update! Now we are at 357 days and her udder is just now starting to swell (just a little bit). No other signs of getting ready. Baby is still really kicking!

Sandy
Posted From: 67.31.170.58
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep hanging in there Dana. Now that her bag is starting to progress, it could go quickly from here.
I don't know if you ever told us or not....but is she a maiden mare? Because they are really good at throwing surprises when you least expect it.
Is her tail head up at all? Does her belly look like it has dropped?
I hope you don't beat my personal record of 375 days, that about drove me crazy!

Dana
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now at day 360 and no she is not a maiden mare. She is 9 yrs. old and has had at least two prior babies. Tail head is not up but she is starting to soften. The belly has not dropped yet. Udder is filling very, very slowly! Maybe we'll get a valentines baby! I slept in the travel trailer last night. I parked it so I can see right into her stall from one the the windows. She is doing a great job of making me crazy! Hilltop Quarter horses had a cute filly born via web cam 4 weeks early yesterday. Wow my baby will have cooked two mo. longer. That's amazing!!!

Sandy
Posted From: 64.158.65.237
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess there are some mares who take just a little longer to bake 'em in that oven!
I feel for ya having to sleep in the trailer, especially in this weather. Well, at least I know where I'm at, we were at 5 degrees F last night. Brrrr.....

Dana
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Five degrees bummer, it was 60 here today and gets down to about 38 at night. The trailers not to bad it has a great heater, tv, potty, and sleeps 10 (wee I can have a party). Anyone want to come to Oregon and sit up all night haha! Today is day 361 and the udder has not changed much! She did start to bite at her sides today. Didn't want to eat her hay tonight but did eat her grain. Squeezed a little fluid out of her udder and it is still very clear.

Sandy
Posted From: 65.58.176.81
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, I would love to see 60 degree weather again! I'm in Utah, so not too far from Oregon.
Sounds like your mare is starting to get a little agitated? I can only imagine that she is with being at 361 days. Hopefully she'll start doing something soon, both for her sake and yours.

Dana
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

365 days and still going stong! Her udder is rather tight and waxed tonight! At noon today she was pawing the ground then laying down and ringing her tail. We thought for sure it was time. After about 5 miniutes of that she got up and started to graze again UGH!!!! I really need a full nights sleep but I'm determined not to miss it!!!!!!!!

Sandy
Posted From: 67.31.172.107
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Dana,
Do you have a baby yet? Sounds like it isn't going to be much longer at all. I'll be on pins and needles until I hear!!

Dana
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Day 367 and still no baby. She started first signs of labor yesterday about 22 hrs. ago. I was up all night watching her walk in circles. I called the vet and he said she is just taking a little longer in the first stage of labor. Yea, I would say so! She has been dripping milk off and on also for the last 22 hrs. Started sweating about 10am and now it's 1pm. Oh, I feel so sorry for her. Of course it's pouring rain and I had to dig a small ditch to keep rain out of her stall.

Angela
Posted From: 12.19.119.169
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone, I have a 5 year old mare first baby and we bred (by accident) on January 30th last year until february 8th, our 2 year old stud colt broke through the panels) anyway we figured and the vet also figured January 3rd or 4th so here we are february 17th and still no baby. Vet checked her at 5 1/2 months pregnant in July. I took her back to the vet this past friday the 13th and he said that we may need to induce becasue the baby is really big. Problem is we have no milk and so we put her on domperidon. 5 days later and still no milk. We also have started feeding her wheat bran about 1/2 a 3 pound coffee can 2x a day. Today we have an udder but it is really hard. I have stressed about all that I can does anybody have any other solutions? Desperate in OK.

Dana
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 01:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's here!!! We finally had a big bay colt with a nice white blaze at 2:45 this afternoon. Mom is so happy to be done with labor and the colt is big and strong. He is probably the largest colt we have ever had. He is so tall he can't walk under mom and he had to bend his knees the first time he nursed! He has huge leg bones! I guess the over cooking didn't hurt anything! Thanks so much for your support Sandy!!!

Dana
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 01:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angela,
My mare just went 367 days and I like you was stressed to the max!!!!!!I have been talking with the vet the last few days and he told me to hang in there, inducing was the last resort. If you read my above posts you can see what I was going through! The baby she had today is really big but delivered ok with a little help. You say the udder is really hard is it full???

Sandy
Posted From: 67.31.155.129
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Dana!! Glad it all went well and you have a healthy colt. 367 days, hmmm.... guess I still unfortunately hold the record on this thread with the 375....oh well, that's okay, I wouldn't want anyone to go through the stress I went through with that!
Angela,
If your mare doesn't have milk, then I definitely would NOT induce. There is a lot more that needs to happen for that foal to be ready to be born than just the mare having milk though. With everything I have ever read on the foaling process and the mare's and foal's preparation for foaling, they are not sure whether it is the hormones that are released during the relaxation of the cervix that starts the milk let down, or whether it is the opposite way around. And with your mare being a maiden, they have also been known to produce milk directly after foaling. Or even just a few days prior to foaling. Does she have any of the other signs of getting close? Is her belly dropped? Is she getting soft around the tail head? These are also some things to look for to predict the time is getting closer.
According to your breeding dates, your mare would be approx. 375 days today, and there have been mares that have foaled successfully at 400 days or so.
A mare's udder will usually get tense and hard for a few days prior to foaling, so that may be a good sign.
You say the mare was bred by accident when a two year old broke through the panels. Is it possible that she didn't get in foal during that time period, but maybe at a later time? Like for instance could the colt have gotten in with her again later on?
I would just keep in contact with the vet, let him know of all the changes that are occuring with your mare. But, I really wouldn't consider inducing at this point unless your vet feels that maybe the mare's life is in danger. But then again, with inducing, there is always the possibility that it can be harmful to the mare anyway. If her body isn't ready to give birth, then she will have an extremely hard time delivering if she is forced to have that foal before everything is ready.
I know we all get anxious and concerned about our mares when they go overdue. But I honestly believe that time and patience is the best help we can give to them.
Let us know how things go, and I wish you and your mare the best of luck.

Toni
Posted From: 66.156.35.32
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am new to this group, although I have read tons of postings to try to learn. My problem is I have a 10 year old Miniature mare who is pregnant. This is her fourth or fifth foal. The problem is the lady we bought her from can only tell us she is due anytime from now until July. She says not to worry, she will just deliver with no problems, but we want to help if needed. We are new horse owners, so can only use your experiences to help us learn. The mare, Sophia, is HUGE. Her udder started developing in January, but is not "full and tight"--Its actually big but wrinkled. Lately she is is standing on one hind leg than the other for hours at a time. Her tail is up a lot, and her bottom looks bigger(???). I don't know how to milk her so that I can test that. What is a good way for me to know when she is due?

Sandy
Posted From: 4.228.243.205
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toni,
Look at the post under "countdown to a foal part two".

Suzanne
Posted From: 205.188.116.13
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So here is my question our mare as you can see on count down to a foal 2 is 349 days all the signs and even has a bag but I can not for the life of me express anything out of her bag! I even tried the syringe trick and she is just not giving anything up...have any of you seen this?

Corine
Posted From: 80.100.15.107
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you tried massaging the bag first? That usually does the trick for me when its hard to get milk out. Sorry I cant help you any further.

Suzanne
Posted From: 64.12.116.13
Posted on Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 08:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't tried that. I am too busy trying to dodge her teeth...amazing she can still reach that far back with as much belly as she has! I will try that in the morning. Right now she is asleep with her head in the feed tub!

Corine
Posted From: 80.100.15.107
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 05:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, dodging the teeth...;-) I know all about that! My mare does the same, but as soon as I start massasging real soft and with warm hands, she settels down and just tries to bite her rope. Eventhough I've had her since she was 6 months old and she knows all the rules, I have learned never to trust a mare (have the scars on my back to show for it) and I always halter and tie them now.

Beverly Outlaw
Neonate
Username: Outlawpaints

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

}Hello Everyone.. I have a question that I have asked the foalwatch group and got some GREAT advice, but thought I would ask here too.. We have a maiden mare day 338 ish. she started having the first signs of developing and udder back in february.. started very small..and has been making progress since then, but not like i would think she should have by now. She has not got a huge udder at all. not even half full. yet she is at day 338. i know they can go longer than this, but should i worry because her udder is changing so slowly? she was butt pushing so hard to day and scratching that she looked like she was going to push the wall down..She is out in pasture now..Until i see a little more development and then will put her in a stall where i can watch better. Any thoughts? Thanks!}

Deena
Weanling
Username: Morganslil1

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beverly do yall have fescue problems?Deena

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US