SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Signs of Pregnancy??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal - Volume 1 » Signs of Pregnancy?? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Maureen (63.10.230.210)
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2001 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Arabian mare was bred to an Arabian stallion about a month and a half ago today I noticed drops of milk coming from her teats. What does this mean? Information will be greatly appreciated!

Kelly (63.172.47.196)
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maureen- Some mares will do this. It can be considered normal for some mares. I have a mare that will make a bag and drip during her heat cycle. If there is another horse present to tease her, it is worse.

I would be aware of this, and check her periodically to make sure that it is not hot and hard. If you detect heat and it feels increasingly harder, call your vet. Mastitis could occur and would need immediate care.

Maureen (63.10.223.145)
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vet is arriving tomorrow morning to check up on her. Thanks for the advice! I will know for sure tomorrow.

Robyn Johnson (208.186.108.4)
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2001 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend has a mare that foaled about 2 months ago, a healthy rambunctuous colt. She has developed mastitis and is under vet care to treat. How dangerous is this and what can be expected in her recovery. Vet has separated the colt from the dam for 7 days and wants the mare milked twice a day to keep her from drying up. How bad is it for the colt to nurse her infected side and should the colt recieve milk replacement for the week of dam's recovery. I know very little about horses and would appreciate any information. Thanks

Noble Knight (206.157.249.115)
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2001 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robyn, mastitis is a serious infection that needs to be treated immediately. It sounds like the vet has it under control and the mare should recover just fine. I hope your friend follows the vets directions completely. The colt SHOULD NOT consume any of the milk until the vet has given it the o.k. I'm sure the vet has recommended a milk replacer for the colt. Tell your friend to be careful while milking the mare. Mastitis is very painful to the mare and it is sometimes quite difficult to manipulate the teats for milking and/or treatment. Application of hot water will ease the pain and help make milking easier if having trouble. Mastitis is considered a rare condition that is sometimes confused with the swelling and pain that occures when a foal is ill and not sucking or with the natural swelling that follows weaning. Go to "the articles" on this sites home page and type Mastitis in the search, maybe there is more information there.

leigh Ann Welker
Neonate
Username: Leighann_welker

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have never had a mare that has had mastitis so i don't know what it looks like. but i have a mare that is due to foal in 3 weeks and her bag is really hard and when you push on it, it leaves a indent. it is not holding heat but it is really hard. is this mastitis?

Kassie Finley
Breeding Stock
Username: Jkqh

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leigh that sounds more like edema. It kind of feels like memory foam. Usually they get it infront of the udder along the belly. That could be what it is. And if it gets very large sometimes exercises helps.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 282
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 01:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*memory foam*..........fabulous description Kassie!!!
Leigh Ann, also, mastitis is typically very painful to the animal. She may have pus-like discharge (nasty), and very resentful to touch. Normally will have heat, mares may also run a fever with mastitis.
If your mare isn't to irritated by you touching it, I'd bet that it's just like Kassie mentioned...:-) memory foam!!! (i.e. edema) :-).

Jehnet Carlson
Neonate
Username: Montanagal

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a mare come to my ranch that had a foal last year, while breeding her observed what was thought to be mastitis, but with a culture it was found to be Bastard Strangles. She is cleared up now with no apparent damage to her udder and bred back to my mammoth jack for a 2007 baby www.djbarranch.com

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US