SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

When can you feel foal movement in a pregnant mare?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Pregnant Mare and the Newborn Foal - Volume 1 » When can you feel foal movement in a pregnant mare? « Previous Next »

karen kehler
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2001 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like information on this topic.

quartercrazy
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2001 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our vet told us you can feel the foal movement from the outside around the 7th month.

Thanks,
Jodi

Deanna
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2001 - 07:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a very petite Arab mare that is due May 24th. We never had her pregnancy checked (something I will now make a habit of!) but she hasn't come in heat after breeding or this spring. All the other mares have come in heat already. She is a maiden mare and I thought prior in her pregnancy I could feel definate movement. Now when I feel her belly I can't feel a thing! Her belly is a little full but she really dosen't even look bred! Is there a chance that the foal just dosen't have room to move at this stage or is it a good chance she's not even bred?!! Wondering if anyone has had a problem with feeling the foal this late in the pregnancy.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Along these lines, are there any reliable tests to determine late-term pregnancy? I have a maiden 15 year mare who would be at 310 days or so. She looks and acts preggers, but I'm the only one so far who has felt any movement. The thumps and flutters I've noticed seem definite enough, but vet hasn't palpated anything rectally.I recall reading about a test for a certain hormone which would indicate a live vs. dead foal in utero. Would this be applicable? Thanks.

Katie Tims
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope there is an answer to the above question. I have a mare that is 364 days pregnant today and up until the last week I was feeling a lot of movement. Now there is none. I thought I might have felt something last night, but when my vet asked me if I was absolutely sure it was not gas I could not answer with 100 percent certainty. This mare does not have a full bag yet and I had just overcome that anxiety, but now my vet palpated her for 45 minutes and could not detect any foal movement. He tried to get a heartbeat, but the foal was not in position that would allow the heart to be seen. Of course I want to know if the foal is dead or not and the vet cannot give me a definite answer. I live more than 2 hours from a major facility and right now my vet is calling to get advice from more experienced practitioners. Three questions: Is it possible the foal is sleeping and I am not feeling the mare at the right times? Next, is it possible to run a test to determine whether or not the foal is alive? If the foal is dead, should the mare be induced? I don't have a lot of money but care so much for this mare and want to do what is best for her. Perhaps I am over reacting.

Anonymous
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2001 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We do not have water in our barn. I put some mares inside at night. When I take them out "early" in the morning, like at sun up and take them to water, "Cold Cold" water,it allways gets those foals to kicking. Even later term foals. You might give it a try. It doesn't cost anything and I have never had trouble with the mares going without water over night.

Christine (152.163.204.191)
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hello everyone;
I have two mares that are pregnent. my question is When will I be able to see the baby move. One mare is 6months along and the other is 4 months along.
Thank-you
Christine

Della (66.109.70.67)
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a maiden Paso mare that is 343 days. She is starting to bag and loosen in the hindend. I haven't been able to feel any foal movement. Is this unusual?

sharon (216.46.205.242)
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Della, just from my experience with my late mare (356 days), I can say that the last month or so, I did not see specific movement as much as the whole belly moving like it was jelly. Just sit quietly by your mare and see if you notice. The specific kicks are sometimes missed, they are so quick!! Also, look at pics of how that foal is laying in the last few days, not so much side to side in the belly as it is more moved up into the birth "canal".

amy (12.237.226.255)
Posted on Saturday, June 22, 2002 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can sometimes feel foals moving but it is easier to see them. if you look at the mare from the back when they are far into their pregnancy. you can sometimes see the baby has shifted to one side.

my mare has had teo babies. the first one i could feel move at about 7 months but they stopped in about the ninth month. I never did see her second baby move but it was born healthy. i would always ask a vet if you have consurns ( you know your horse best) but i would not be worried if you do not see much motion.

if i might make a suggestion, horses should always have access to water.

Bonnie Thompson (65.172.244.56)
Posted on Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone please answer my question. I have a miniature mare that is due or possibly overdue. She was bred last September and vet has never palpated her. She now has a clear liquid from her bag sometimes it looks like milk, her bag is not real big yet. She is having trouble walking but her tail has not completely relaxed yet. She doesn't look very big but sometimes I thought I could see the baby kick, hard to tell. This is her 3rd pregnancy and this one is entirely different. Has anybody out there experienced a false pregnancy - a mare has been bred, milk will come in when it is time and actually no baby! My vet said sometimes a mare will have a false pregnancy. She is eating and drinking her temp is normal. Thank you in advance for any responses.

sandy (65.58.177.159)
Posted on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have 4 mares in foal, one at 8mos. the other 3 are at 7 1/2mos. I have felt all of the foals moving within the last week or so. So, I'd have to say that around the 7th month is when you can start to detect slight foal movement. But I've noticed that I have to put my hand on the underside of the belly, kind of up close to the udder area to really feel anything.

Bonnie, I have heard of mares with false pregnancies that do make a bag, drip milk, the whole nine yards, but there is no baby. I'd be interested in knowing whether or not your mare finally foaled!

Magnolia Acres
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could see movement on my mare when she was about 4-5 months. She had a huge filly. I have noticed it at around 6 months on other mares, but you have to pay close attention. The best way to make a foal move is by giving the mare really cold water to drink. OB's do this to women. Tell them to eat ice. That or lunge them a little. It wakes the baby up. That's how I first saw the movement in my mare. I was trotting her and then stopped. I looked down and could see a knot on her side. I pushed it and could feel it move. Maggie always liked to run when her Mama did and she still does it now.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US