SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How old is "too old"??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Embryo Transfer » How old is "too old"?? « Previous Next »

Tina
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2001 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone give me any information about the prime age of a mare for taking embryos. I have a 25 yr old mare with awesome breeding but i don't want her to carry a foal, she almost died on her last delivery and i don't want to chance it. I rescued her last year and was amazed at her bloodlines. Any thoughts?? Thanks in advance.

Jos
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2001 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Older mares produce embryos which have been found less successful in transfer. Mid-teens is generally considered to be the latest that one is likely to repeatedly be able to obtain viable embryos. This of course means that you may get a viable embryo from a mare as old as yours, but the likelihood is significantly reduced.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead!

alexis karr (216.160.83.164)
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHAT ARE THE SPECIFICATIONS FOR AN OLDER MARE IN ORDER TO BE ABLE TO OBTAIN A VIABLE EMBRYO. IF A MARE IS NOT SOUND FOR BREEDING DUE TO SCAR TISSUE OR WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE, IS IT POSSIBLE TO GET A GOOD EMBRYO FROM HER? THIS MARE THAT I AM LOOKING AT IS 23 BUT NOT BREEDING SOUND. SPECTACULAR CUTTING HORSE LINES!! 12PONYS

Kelly (63.172.47.218)
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't look too good.

The First consideration is her age, which would be a challenge even if she were in great breeding condition. Depending on where the scar tissue is, she may not be able to ovulate a viable follicle. No follicle, no conceptus, no embryo transfer possile. The vet of record should be able to best explain her condition.

I breed and raise cutting horses, so I do understand the temptation to maintain certain bloodlines. Look around, there are mares out there bred to do the job! Perhaps you can track down a daughter of hers, ask, you may be surprised.

Anonymous
Posted From: 67.1.4.221
Posted on Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mares are born with all the eggs they are ever going to ovulate. So age has a great deal to with embryo transfer. Some mares stop producing viable eggs from the age of 18 to 30. It just depends on the mares. The oldest mare we've done a transfer on was 25, but it took 4 times before we got a viable embryo. The embryo was too fragile to last the actual transfer into the recipient. The older theyh get (20+) the less viable the egg. Research has found that the eggs won't divide properly after being fertalized or that the outer membrane is weak. The fertalized egg has to divide so many times before it hits the uterus so it can properly implant into the uterus. Then that brings you to scar tissue in the uterus. Normally you do embryo transfer in mares that have too much scar tissue. You do the transfer before the egg implants into the uterus. The scar tissue may prevent the mare from getting pregnant but should not effect the embryo transfer if that is the only problem.
I suggest you talk to your veterinarian at length and found out what the best option is for you.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US