SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Cost????

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Embryo Transfer » Cost???? « Previous Next »

S. Scholtes
Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2000 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been looking for a warmblood broodmare and cannot find one that i like that is in my price range. I am trying to look in to doing an embryo transplant from my coming 2 yr old filly into another mare that I have. What am I looking at price wise (assuming that we were successful with in 1-2 tries)? Anyone have any thoughts/comments?

Thanks

Jos
Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2000 - 09:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ET costs seem to vary enormously depending upon your location. In a recent discussion on the EquineRepro e-mail list, costs varied from $750 to over $10,000!

You will either need to maintain 2 recipient mares yourself; have access to them; or be prepared to transport the embryo to a facility that maintains mares for ET services.

I think the last set of figures I came across for averages was something on the lines of it took an average of 2.4 flushes to obtain an embryo, and 1.7 to successfully achieve a maintained pregnancy. This means that statistically you will take an average of 4 flushes/transfers to achieve a maintained pregnancy. If the cost per flush is approximately $750, you will be looking at about $3,000 to achieve a sustained pregnancy on the average, plus any additional mare/transport costs.

You may of course get lucky - statistics rely on both ends of the spectrum to obtain the average!!

I don't mean to be negative here, although I realise it does sound that way, but I believe that it is critical that one evaluates the mares and stallions being used even more thoroughly than normal before becoming involved in ET, simply because of the additional expenses. It is certainly a worthwhile procedure though if you have the quality of stock.

Good luck!

L Haydon-williams
Posted on Monday, January 15, 2001 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

L. Haydon-Williams 3rd year BSC student
Think yourself lucky ET is just not excepted over here in England. Anybody any ideas how we can get the thoroughbred and breed societies to accept it?

C. Vines (12.80.75.213)
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

S. Scholtes,

If you are looking for a nice WB mare in an affordable price range, I have a SWB mare for sale that will be sold at a pretty low price for someone that is willing to foal out her '03 foal.

You can reach me at (909) 864-5632 if you are interested.

Zena Cooper (66.52.22.147)
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 01:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In southern Cal. I use Dr. Burns of Menifee, Ca. He is pretty much THE man for ETs on all of the west coast. His farm has several hundred recipient mares and all I do is trailer my amre in at 6 days, he does the flushes, and I take her home. It all takes about 25 minutes of my time. If he gets an embryo (which he usually does, since he has an over 80% success rate and does over 200 ETs a year) then he finds one of his mares who is cycling at just the right time and implants the embryo in her. I pay $1k for the flushes and $3k for the recipient mare whom I take once she is 45 days in foal. After she foals and is weaned, I return her. From what I know it's really hard to use a mare of your own because it's all about the timing of the 2 mare's cycles. The chances that your donor and recipient mare will be cycling at the exact perfect times are slim, and I think this is why ETs have gotten a rep of beeing expensive and unreliable. Anyway, just my 2 cents. Best,
Zena
North Night Sport Horses
www.northnight.com

Anonymous (63.190.112.168)
Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the vet could synchronize the cycles of your mares before you breed the donar mare, then the recipient mare will by ready to receive. Is that not correct?

Kuda12
Neonate
Username: Kuda12

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 04:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need some help. I am interested in the possibility of an embryo transfer. I wish to add another horse but the breed I am interested in is not found here. I would like to try the equine embryo transfer. Is this possible? Can it be shipped overseas from either the US or Canada? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 906
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is certainly possible, as embryos can be frozen or shipped cool (the cooled viability will depend upon the duration of the trip to the recip mare). The first thing to check is if the applicable registry allows the registration of foals produced through ET. Not all do. The next thing is to determine what health requirements are required by USDA-Aphis. It is possible that the mare and stallion will have to be in quarantine at the time of breeding and flushing, and undergo tests for a variety of diseases. There will be different requirements from different countries in all probability. If you are looking at importing from the USA or Canada to another country, you will have to contact the counterpart to USDA-Aphis for that country (DEFRA for the UK for example).

So yes, it is probably possible, but likely to be expensive.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US