SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Wanting to learn ET for own ponies

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Embryo Transfer » Wanting to learn ET for own ponies « Previous Next »

Gypsy Cob
Neonate
Username: Gypsy_cob

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, January 04, 2010 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Everyone

If at all possible I would really like to go and learn how to do ET on our own ponies/horses

Is it a possibility that someone who isn't a vet can learn it?
If so can any one point me in the direction of a good trainer and let me also know what country they are (can't do it where I am)

I do not want to learn this for any reasons other than my own use. Basically if we send our guys away to try for ET which has so far been for no positive result we miss out on breeding with our stallion to our own mares as its about 800kms away to the closest ET place and three or four hours drive just to have our stallion collected and shipped and even collecting ourselves were still up for the big drive to get it to a place it can actually be sent from. Basically it's all a big giant pain in the bum and it would be so much better to be able to do our one or two a year here and there.

I have been looking into places that offer ET short courses over in America (I would be thinking something like ET really needs something a bit longer) but that on its own is cheaper than one attempt, flush and fingers crossed implant charge AND on top of that I could fly to America and do a short course for less than an ET package charge anyway

If I could learn it, I would want to go and do other courses first to make sure I was in the know about all other aspects as you either do something properly or not at all, my Father is an AI tech anyway and he would also like to learn ET if possible.

Am I just mad for thinking this is an option?

Any light that can be cast upon the situation would be very much appreciated

Thanks All

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2673
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 04:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Performing ET is not difficult, but it is one of those things that the more you do the better one gets at it! That in itself can be a hamper to the success rate of doing one's own mares unless one is doing a lot.

Having said that, we offer an ET course to everyone (general public as well as veterinarians) and this year it is being held February 15th at California Polytechnic (Pomona). You can read more about it on our courses page. A prerequisite is having attending one of our 3-day courses, but we hold one in conjunction with the ET course for the 3 days preceding. At the ET course, attendees will learn about the techniques for ET and do hands-on work with flushes and transfers on mares. The only thing that we don't teach to lay persons (non-vets) is the rectal palpation work, but if you are already competent in that or learning it, then you will come away from the course completely equipped with the knowledge to perform an ET - but note what I said above about practice making perfect!! :-)

Ann
Breeding Stock
Username: Northernperch

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 07:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thre is also a course that I have heard good things about taught by Dr. Kubiak...here is a link for that course as well http://www.thebreedersassistant.com/embryo_transfer

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2678
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...bearing in mind that the courses we offer support this bulletin board, web site and our continued ability to offer the support and advice that we do here... :-)

Gypsy Cob
Neonate
Username: Gypsy_cob

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much to you Jos and Ann.

Not to be difficult but is one day really enough?
Can you really get it in your head firmly settled with that?
Do people find it easy enough to grasp everything like syncing the mares to start with, checking their recipient mare... all those other things along with the actual process in seven hours?

I know that with the one offered "here" that you must first do a three day course...

Anyway is there more detailed information that I can look at on the ET course and the three day ones other than what's on the courses page?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2679
Posted on Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The three day course is intensive! You will learn all about synchronizing mares and preparing mares for breeding and much more in that course. Much of the "leg work" of ET is included in good breeding knowledge. You can find a list of topics covered in the course notes index - you go home with a 200 page set of course notes too... :-)

For the ET course, there is another set of course notes - not as long as the above, but still reasonable and specific to ET. As much of the basic information is already covered in the 3-day course, there is no need to reinvent the wheel and make everyone sit through it all over again. That's why we structure it that way. If people haven't grasped the basics, they shouldn't be doing an ET course (in our opinion), so let them do the basic course first (and as I note above, it's not really that "basic" as it is intensive).

There is nothing particularly complicated or magical about ET. It's straightforward. Consequently, the basic technique is easily taught, and yes, in 7 hours can be learned. It's a bit like learning to drive a vehicle though - if you learn to drive a car in 5 lessons, you're not going to be proficient enough to go out and race Formula 1! The same applies here. The more practice you have, the better you'll get at it. I see no particular reason why one should have to do the same (basic) process for day after day, paying for the privilege in a course, when one can go hope and practice on one's own mares. As I say, it's not difficult. And if you get home and find that you have a question about something when you try it at home... well, that's what e-mail is for, and like any Internet company, we have a "support" section! :-)

If you have more specific questions, please feel free to contact our office (follow that link to the contact page).

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US