SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Embryo transfer questions...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Embryo Transfer » Embryo transfer questions... « Previous Next »

Cindy
Nursing Foal
Username: Vanity

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am contemplating possibly using my warmblood mare for a donor mare for embryo transfer but have some questions. I won't be doing it but my vet but I thought I would like to know.
What does it cost to do the P&E to synchronize the mares? I have a friend that has about 30 mares, do I still need to synchronize or can I tease them and see which ones are close to my mares "cycle" and go from there? How close to they need to be? Ovulate the same day or within a day of each other?
What is involved in the flushing process?
I know you flush the mare day 6 or 7 (I am assuming this is post ovulation rather than post breeding)?
When would donor mare come back into heat following a flushing or can you short cycle again and if so when?
If the vet was to flush more than one embryo, how long do you have to find another recipient mare so that it is still viable? How would you "store" it in that time?
Thanks!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does it cost to do the P&E to synchronize the mares?
It will cost about the same as using Regumate would. You will have to contact your veterinarian to determine what they usually charge.

do I still need to synchronize or can I tease them and see which ones are close to my mares "cycle" and go from there?
You should synchronize. Your success rate will be higher, and the overall frustration level lower if you do! :-)

How close to they need to be?
The recipient mare should be no more than 1 day ahead of or 2 days behind the donor mare, and preferably 2 days behind (i.e. the recipient mare ovulates 2 days after the donor mare).

What is involved in the flushing process?
In essence, passing a Foley catheter through the cervix and running in a large volume of flush media, then running the flush media out through a filter that will (hopefully!) capture the embryo.

(I am assuming this is post ovulation rather than post breeding)?
Correct.

When would donor mare come back into heat following a flushing or can you short cycle again and if so when?
The donor mare should be short-cycled with PGF2a immediately following the flush. She should return to estrus in about 3-5 days.

If the vet was to flush more than one embryo, how long do you have to find another recipient mare so that it is still viable?
It is desirable to synchronize 2 or 3 recipient mares in case this happens, then one can transfer the second embryo immediately. If one cannot do that, one could possibly transport the embryo to a recipient herd location if the happen to have a suitably synchronized mare, and there have been instances where when attempting transport of embryos they have been lost by the courier and actually not transferred for up to 3 days and yet still successfully maintained! It's not exactly desirable to plan on that though...!!! :-)

How would you "store" it in that time?
If to be stored or shipped, it is best placed in a special transport media in an Equitainer. Another alternative of course is to freeze the embryo for future use.

Cindy
Weanling
Username: Vanity

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos! That was really helpful! Just a couple more questions.
When in a mares cycle can you start the P&E? Also is it adviseable to have the recipient mare the same type (size) as the donor mare? I have one recipient mare (proven broodmare) lined up which is comparable to my mare in size but the other mare offered to me is only a 15-15.1HH QH maiden mare. My mare is a 17.2HH warmblood mare would be bred to a 17HH stallion. I don't want the foal to be big for a QH mare, especially being a maiden, so should I look for a bigger mare? Thanks for all your help!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When in a mares cycle can you start the P&E?
Anytime. check out the article on P&E on this site.

Also is it adviseable to have the recipient mare the same type (size) as the donor mare?
Yes.

Beth
Yearling
Username: Beth13

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this thread is really old but I have some questions as well. We have a mare who we would like to breed from again. Her first foal is gorgeous, beautiful in every way- looks, temperment, trainability, attitude, everything. Anyway we breed the mare again, but she got colic about 10 weeks of foaling and it resulted in a really nasty abortion and the vet has advised us not to breed from her again, which we fully intend to do. But if ET is an option I think we would seriously consider it.
All I know about ET is that the eggs are flushed out of the mare and somehow placed in another. And approx how much does it cost? We have a mare who could be the recipiant mare, and another who we could use if we had to.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US