SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Embryo transfer

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Embryo Transfer » Embryo transfer « Previous Next »

Linda Marynow
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am interested in using one of my other mares as a recipient mare for an embryo transfer. It seems it would reduce alot of difficulties and be much easier on everyone, not to mention more cost effective. What are the pros and cons? Linda

Jos
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2001 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pros would include the ability to have a foal from a mare that cannot naturally carry one herself for some physical reason (lameness; poor condition uterus etc.) or that is in heavy competition from which it is not desired to remove her; or the ability to successfully have multiple foals from a single mare in any given year.

Cons include lowered live foal rate when judged against actual breeding numbers (the harvesting and transfer processes are not fool-proof; nor is it a guarantee that once implanted into the recipient mare, the embryo will survive or the pregnancy maintained); and undoubtedly the cost of the process - which varies greatly depending upon technician - with generally the cheapest you will see being about $750 per flush. As it is statistically likely that multiple flushes will be required to secure a transferred pregnancy, a more realistic minimum figure is around $2,500 - and I have seen prices quoted as high as $10,000. Another con is that there may be a requirement to maintain multiple mares yourself if you are not using a commercial recipient herd such as is maintained at CSU.

J Bivin
Posted From: 152.163.252.65
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are you asking the pros and cons of using your own mare vs a recipient mare provided by an embryo transfer place? If so, it depends on whether your mare will meet the standards of breeding soundness. ie is she young and healthy? Has she carried a foal before?
Also, with just one recip, you may have a problem getting their cycles to sync right away. it may take a few months. that's what is nice about drawing from a large herd, based on ovulation date.

Jos
Posted From: 67.0.217.172
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Synchronization of mares is extremely easy if one uses "P & E" as is set out in the article on this site available by clicking here. It doesn't take months - only 18 days!!!

julie
Posted From: 66.149.142.128
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos
Difficult question for me. I have a 1991 Dutch mare who had one foal in 1998 without problem. She is a successful competitor and I really want a foal from her via ET now or real pregnancy at age 15 or 16 when she retires. Here is the problem she has had persistent fluid in one horn of her uterus (culture negative several times / yeast neg also).A biopsy showed Grade II endometrium 2 years ago. Should I even get my hopes up and plan another biopsy/culture with the hope of an ET or just forget it?.

Jos
Posted From: 67.30.223.115
Posted on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uterine fluid may or may not be difficult issue to deal with - it depends a lot on the cause. What did the cytology show in conjunction with the culture? Remember - an endometrial swab culture is useless as a diagnostic indicator of the pathogenic of the uterus unless a \i(cytology smear is performed and read in conjunction with the culture}! For more information on that topic, click here.

If the fluid is present as a result of delayed uterine clearance, then the use of oxytocin as outlined here will be valuable.

Biopsy IIa or IIb? Big difference - 50-80% live foal vs. 10-50%...

I wouldn't lose hope yet, but you need more answers to your questions!

julie
Posted From: 24.99.7.124
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 01:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, thanks for your help. I am going to rebiopsy her as the lab stated that the results are inconclusive. I hope to be back in touch soon with the results. Your course in Alpharetta, Ga this weekend was voted the best.

trevor march
Posted From: 203.26.196.169
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

im interested in et with a compatition mare and are keen to use my own recipent mare but is one mare enough

Jos
Posted From: 137.186.22.234
Posted on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Synchronising a single recipient mare can be achieved using P & E but obviously as the results of synchronization are not 100%, there will always exist the possibility of having a donor mare and no recipient.

Another frustrating situation with a single recipient mare can be found when twin embryos are flushed.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US