SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

What is the problem?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Embryo Transfer » What is the problem? « Previous Next »

Andrea
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I have read, there is a not a huge success rate with embryo transfer. Can anyone tell me why this is? What is the physiology/anatomy behind the problem? I'm applying to an M.S. program in theriogenology, and this might be a problem that I'm interested in researching. I need a place to start from, though. Thanks!

Horse Pro
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andrea Jos is certainly more knowledgeable than I in this area, but I think the information you have is based on industry averages rather than facility averages. Included in those industry averages are those many instances where, one two or just a few mares are done and often by people who do not routinely perform this procedure. In addition they are often performed, not at a dedicated facility but on a farm or in a practitioner's clinic where this is not a routine procedure. Across the industry the conception rates are comparatively low for a whole host of reasons not directly attributable to the procedure it's self.

Actually when the procedure is performed in a facility that is set up to do it and both the donor and recipients are under the control of these people. That rates are actually quite good. As with many forms of reproduction where their is a human factor added to the equation. Frequently it's the human factor that adversely affects the overall result. Professional reproductive personnel excepted.

In the case of embryo transfer, the use of mares that are not prime donors is probably the largest negative factor. The second would probably be the difficulty of synchronizing the recipients with the donors and having a sufficient number of quality recipients available. Other than those things, the procedure it's self is relatively simple and effective.

I know of a facility that for a number of years consistently had a very high conception rate. However it was a dedicated facility that only did embryo transfer and nothing else.

HP

Andrea
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2001 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Horse Pro,
Thanks for the information. I guess I probably need to do more reading before I can figure out where to base my research project in graduate school. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

Jos
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Embryo transfer is prone to failure in different ways in each of its stages. These different failures will all affect the overall statistical analysis.

Firstly of course, one has to get the mare pregnant; then there has to be a conceptus that has descended into the uterus by the time the harvest is planned (usually day 6 or 7); then you've got to successfully flush the embryo and find it; it must be washed and analysed for quality - not all embryos are of suitable quality for transfer; once you have successfully managed all that, the transfer itself has to be successful and then the recipient mare has to be gracious enough to retain the pregnancy.

As you can see, a failure at any stage is going to compromise the whole operation and statistical analysis.

I think the average for obtaining a successfully transplanted and maintained embryo is somthing like 2.5 flushes/transfers - which considering all the possible failures actually isn't too awfully bad!

On top of all the potential procedure problems, one has to add technician failure - and there is no doubt whatsoever that some are more successful than others at performing the procedure.

Jane Wickham
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2001 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has any one got a list of statistics for embryo transfer success rates compared to that of artificial insemination?
I know that each horse is very different but just as a law of averages would be great. i am duing a reseach assignment on the different artificial breeding techniques in showjumpers. I need to know the pros and con of both the A.I method and Embryo transfers.
If this is possible the information would be much appreciated.
thank you.
jane wickham.

Jos
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2001 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You cannot compare AI to ET as they are like apples and oranges - both advanced breeding processes but not the same. The statistics for AI relate to pregnancies achieved, whereas with ET the pregnancy has already been achieved and it is the successful flushing and transfer rate that is important.

There is more information about AI on this site available by clicking here.

ET statistics are even more variable with the success rate highly "technician dependent". Generally it takes a little over 2 flushes to obtain an embryo on the average; and a further 2 transfers to achieve a maintained pregnancy. These however are only averages and as I say are highly technician-dependent.

Hope this helps.

Vinicius Bandeira
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2001 - 09:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iím a Brazilian veterinarian and my specialty is non-surgical equine embryo transfers. I have been doing embryo transfer for over 4 years and have done over 150 successful procedures in farms across Brazil. I can confidently say that my conception rate is over 80%, depending mostly on the quality of the mares (age, proper nourishment, etc). I am looking for the possibility of spending some time abroad to explore new ventures. I can be reached at:
vini.vania@verizon.net

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US