SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Maiden mare driving me crazy!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 3 » Maiden mare driving me crazy! « Previous Next »

Destiny's Mama
Neonate
Username: Destinys_mama

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a 6 yr old Clydesdale mare who was thrown into a field with a stallion for the year before I got her (Might as well say "saved her" but that's a different topic). So, no clue to a due date but we've been watching her to check for changes, etc.. (nobody even knew whether she was pregnant or not but she very clearly is). For the past few months I've stayed up to watch her on the camera to get an idea of what's normal for her. About 2 months ago the foal moved so much I could see it on the camera, but starting about a month ago the movement really slowed down and now to have to really watch close to see it at all. She has gone back and forth between having no tail strength to having full strength the following day, and her vulva would be gaping open one day to being tight the next. She's gone thru bouts of what appeared to be first stage labor and then the next day she was acting totally normal. About 2 weeks ago I started being able to express enough "milk" to check the color and it was clear to slightly cloudy. On 5/17 it changed to really light yellow. Then on 5/21 it was very deep yellow, thicker, and sticky. I've been testing with the water strips and on 5/21 the hardness was 300 and ph was between 7.2 and 7.6, but I don't know how much I trust it because it keeps bouncing around. So anyways before I ramble more due to lack of sleep, I'm hoping that with this info and the pictures somebody can give me an idea of when she may be having the foal. We've had 5 other mares foal and since they were rescues I don't know how many were maidens but I know there's no "due date" and that they don't always follow the rules, but I'm just looking for an idea (this week, a month, 3 months, lol just something). Thanks!!
p.s.
You guys are great and have given me something to do on all those sleepless nights!
http://s1050.photobucket.com/albums/s411/Destinys_Mama1/

Destiny's Mama
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot to add that she lost her mucus plug on 5/10.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 4244
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

usually , once they lose the mucous plug, it's less than 10-14 days. And pairing that with the ph result, I'd bet you have a foal in the next few days. Usually, about they can stay at this ph for several days before foaling...typically around 3 days, then it'll drop quickly to 6.4. Check her ph late at night before deciding to sleep, as it can change from where she is to READY in 30 min. I'm sure that udder will absolutely EXPAND the day/night she foals

Destiny's Mama
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You Diana. She starting rubbing her rear on Monday night and actually sat against the post bracing the stall wall (it's 2 12x12 stalls that we took the wall out of) so hard that it broke! I knew she was getting close but just wasn't sure how close so I'm glad to have your estimate. I'm very excited to see what the little bundle is going to look like :-)

Destiny's Mama
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, May 25, 2012 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update - Last night she tested 300 calcium (highest my test strips go) and 6.8 ph (the strips go to 6.2), still had a bit of tail strength. I thought her vulva was relaxed then, until I saw it this morning. At the morning check she had no tail strength at all, and her vulva was extremely long and relaxed and the color changed to alittle bit darker pink. I tested the milk just now and we are still at 300 calcium but the ph is back up to 7.6. I'm watching her like a hawk since she's a maiden and the milk testing is more so just giving me something to do to keep me occupied but we are hoping for sometime between this evening and Monday evening so nobody has to take off work to be with her. Her attitude also changed today. She's been very lovey dovey lately and now she's very aggitated if I touch her.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US