SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Maiden mare overdue

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 3 » Maiden mare overdue « Previous Next »

jeffrey miller
Neonate
Username: Jeffrey

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mare is 346 days today her milk bag is full but hard and i cant get any milk frm her she has dropped and everything is this normal

Carol
Neonate
Username: Mariposa_sport_horses

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mares don't have a due date. They can foal out anywhere between 320 days to about 370 days. 340 days is average, but not the rule of thumb.

Since your mare has developed a bag it is roughly 30 days from the first development of the bag, give or take a few days. Once she actually has milk in there you're getting closer. At that point, you could attempt pH testing. Once the pH starts to fall towards 6.5 or lower, you're getting very, very close. Other people also just watch the physical body signs. You may have some days to go yet. The anxst that mares cause is simply that you can't really use just one sign to figure out an impending foaling, but rather to gather clues from a variety of sources and stick very close by! Good luck with your foaling.

jeffrey miller
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thankyou carol but shesbeen bagging up for over a month and this morning she also has a mucus type blood on her

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 4210
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Usually once you begin seeing the mucous plug, you will see a foal within 10 days or so. I have milk tested mares for years, and have often found that it's usually pretty easy to get a small amount of milk for a while, then there are a couple days where you can't get ANYTHING before the mare foals. I would be willing to bet that the day she foals she will have AMPLE milk, and it will be easy to get. IF it's thick and sticky, keep your eyes on her, you'll have a foal VERY SOON (within 24 hrs). Also, watch her vulva....when it is sagging down, and very bright red inside, you know you're close...but don't look at it after she lays down, bc it's always saggy and red then LOL

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4211
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

also, alot of times, it helps to have wet fingers and reach ABOVE the teat to milk her....yup, spit on your fingers. LOL

Jane Whritenour
Breeding Stock
Username: Quarterhorsetimestwo

Post Number: 174
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2012 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it is easier said than done- but relax- I just had my first and only foal 9 days ago. The old saying when the apple is ripe it falls from the tree is very true. She will probably go with in the next few days- just figure she has a few finishing touches on that baby yet. Good luck.

jeffrey miller
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2012 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is our first foaland we are so nervous! thankyou to all for the comments! she did however trick us this mornin, went out about four and she was layin down yeaaahhhhh! then NO THANKS WILL LET YALL NO SOON I HOPE!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4214
Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2012 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jeffrey, it may help to know what to look for if you look at the foaling page at http://www.yellowhouseranch.com it's got tons of great visual information!

Colleen Beck
Weanling
Username: High_valley_gypsy

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2012 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first foal is always so exciting! Keep us posted.

jeffrey miller
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2012 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well still no baby and im scared she may have lost it she is stabled at night and small pasture in the day we havent found anything so im still not sure. she was big as a house an not so much now but still has bagging of her teats is it possible that she could have had a late abort ? the 29 will be a year

Karen Knight
Weanling
Username: Sparkskaren

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2012 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she is still within normal foaling range so dont worry yet. chances are baby has now moved to the foaling position if the mare look flat down her sides so not long now.

jeffrey miller
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2012 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

karen thanks i have a question she is full and hard on her teats i cant get anything out shealso has had thebloody mucous stuff on her what does this mean

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4225
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2012 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Usually means she will foal within 10 days or so....that is the mucous plug that seals her cervix. When the cervix starts to dialate and thin for delivery, the mucous plug is lost. You're getting close, and it sounds as if the foal is in position. I often ask my mares "what did ya do with that foal?!!" when they turn into position. One time I walked the pasture, even when i KNEW she didn't abort. LOL If she had tried to abort late term, the foal would not have been in proper position, as it doesn't position until the very end...and you'd have had a bad day, I promise you'd have known about it. :-)

Carol
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeffrey, she sounds to be getting very close. You are not alone with mares who are taking up to a year to foal out - I personally know of 3 others, so you're in good company.

I would stick very close to her now and try not to make any trips away from the farm - watch her day and night. :-) Have you been able to get any milk on your fingers at all? Is it sticky, or thin? Color?

First foals are very exciting and fun! Keep us updated! :-)

jeffrey miller
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 08:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tonight very tiny clear fluid not really sticky tho! and its thin! now my other mare is doing everything just right! she has honey colored sticky fluid that started yesteday!

Carol
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can taste it too. Once it changes from salty to sweet then she is very very close.

jeffrey miller
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2012 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeahhhhh! Dutchess has had a fiesty baby boy! about 6 this mornin so exciting! His name is Dutchess' little Romeo ! we'll just call him Romeo! thankyou everyone for all your advice! oh yeah he is a beautiful paint with blue eyes and white face! one more baby to go and then were done! thanx yall!

Jennifer Holan
Neonate
Username: Jenzcritters

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2012 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4240
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2012 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, that's great! Congratulations!! Glad everything went smoothly

Carol
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations! :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US