SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

HCG dosage

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 3 » HCG dosage « Previous Next »

C. Krauss
Neonate
Username: Mari08

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, spent some time reading the many lovely articles. The dosage for hCG was mentioned to be 1500 IU, but I have no idea what that translates to in MG. Can someone help me please?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3496
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will have to read the outside of the bottle that your hCG came in. One cannot convert IU (International Units) to mg (milligrams) as they are two different measurement methods - it would be like trying to convert inches to gallons! :-)

hCG typically comes as a powder - a good example is the product "Chorulon". You will note if you follow that link, that is is packaged as a "freeze-dried preparation of chorionic gonadotropin (human Chorionic Gonadotropin or hCG) for intramuscular administration after reconstitution. When reconstituted with the accompanying sterile diluent, each 10 mL vial contains 10,000 I.U. chorionic gonadotropin" (this is specifically referencing use in bovine or fish. It can also be used IV in the equine). In this instance, the powder is reconstituted with 10 ml of sterile diluent, giving a final concentration of 1,000 IU/ml. (Note that the values do not mention mg!!). In Canada, Chorulon (which is the most commonly used form of hCG in equine reproduction in North America) also comes packaged in 5,000 IU packages of dried powder, making it even more important to check the packaging!

Obviously if the powder is reconstituted at 1,000 IU/ml, then for a 1,500 IU dose, one would use 1½ ml. Do not overdose beyond 3,500 IU in the same cycle as this can actually suppress ovulation - in particular if one reaches the 5,000 IU dosage level (which is important to note in case someone takes the attitude that one can simply "stick the whole vial in the mare"!!).

Once reconstituted, one can draw off suitable volume dosages and freeze those that are not used immediately in the fridge-freezer and air-thaw them later in the same season for use. I would not recommend keeping them beyond one season, but this will save on cost significantly.

C. Krauss
Neonate
Username: Mari08

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2012 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, thank you for all of that information - it makes much more sense to me now.

I would be getting everything compounded at a human pharmacy, which is the only way I can get it.

The pharmacy here states they have estradiol valerate. Trying to read up on that as I don't think valerate is the same as cypionate or benzoate.

Once again, thank you for all your help!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3497
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2012 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your profile lists you as being located in Alberta, Canada. "Chorulon" (hCG) is available in Canada - one of the links above references Canada - and Estradiol cypionate ("ECP") is also commercially available.

There should be no need to use a compounding pharmacy for either of these products as your veterinarian will be able to purchase them as a ready-made approved product.

Carol
Neonate
Username: Mariposa_sport_horses

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm the same poster - I had some problems with my log-in so I had to re-register.

The problem is, Jos, a number of vets up here will not sell the products to a horse owner. They want to be the one administering--protection of their business, I suppose.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3523
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hCG is a controlled substance and requires a prescription to obtain. Furthermore it is abused by some people as a "dietary aid" or in body-building practices. It is therefore not protectionism on the part of the veterinarian who will not hand it out, but compliance with legal restrictions! In some cases, a veterinarian with a valid client-patient relationship may release a dose for use, but - again legally speaking - there would have to be a valid client-patient relationship in place, as well as the veterinarian being "comfortable" with releasing the product to the client.

If you are obtaining hCG from a pharmacist without a prescription, that pharmacist is breaking the law. Furthermore, even if you do have a prescription, as there is an approved product available commercially, the pharmacist is breaking the law by compounding an already-available product. The alleged proposed actions of this pharmacist therefore leave me a little leery of the legality of the situation... :-(

Carol
Neonate
Username: Mariposa_sport_horses

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2012 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, the pharmacist not once ever mentioned doing this w/o a Rx. In fact always stated a Rx would be required if I could find a vet willing to write a Rx. None of the local vets (not that I have a lot of choices) were willing. I'm rather remote and the closest vet I have is 45 minutes away. Thus, to explain further, the ONLY thing I was wanting was to save on travelling, vet fees and board fees for these 2 mares who should be rather straight-forward to inseminate.

I finally found one vet quite a good distance from my farm, who doesn't do repro work as his maintstay, who is willing to do a pre-breed exam on the 2 mares and then provide me the medications and outline the exact time-table for me, so it all ends well. I am wanting to inseminate the mares myself this year, but it was really hard getting a repro vet to just be willing to do a pre-breed exam and give me the meds for P&E, plus chorulon here and let me have at it. The usual response was "No, not unless I do the mare's insemination as well". In my area, it costs about a $1000 per cycle to have a straight-forward fresh semen AI insemination here (including mare stay), double that for frozen semen.... all I was hoping for was to cut down on vet fees, not insinuating I was wanting to allow something illegal to take place - such does my reputation no good. :-(

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US