SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

150 days with fluid from udder but no bag

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 3 » 150 days with fluid from udder but no bag « Previous Next »

Kris
Neonate
Username: Booboo

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am hoping this is No Big Deal, but I have found that my 150 days pregnant mare has clear fluid that I can express from her left teat. Not her right. No bag, no heat, no swelling. It certainly doesn't hurt her as she is not shy about expressing her opinion in those matters.

At the same time, we are just about done weaning her off Regumate that she was put on for a tear in her cervix. My repro vet feels she should be fine to be weaned off.

I really don't know if this has been going on all along and I just didn't notice, but I am riding her and she is groomed daily so I am guessing this is fairly new.

Should I be worried? There are no other signs of problems - no vaginal discharge, no change in appetite, fever, etc.

The vet comes in 7 days to do the 5-month Rhino and to palpate her - should I have her come sooner?

Thanks!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3433
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is curious that your vet would suggest taking the mare off Regumate if she had been placed on it as a result of having a torn cervix. Unless the cervix was repaired, the concern about cervical incompetency (and resulting possible uterine pathogen access) should be present throughout the pregnancy, just as the risk is (the exogenous progestin keeps the cervix more tightly closed).

The concern with premature lactation is that it is possible that is may be indicating placentitis. Typically this would be associated with milk production and mammary development rather than clear fluid presence, so it would not be a major concern to me at this point, although if would not hurt to have the CTUP measured to confirm that all is OK. You would not be likely to see discharge or change in appetite or disposition as indicators of placentitis (although rarely discharge may be present).

If in doubt, check!

Kris
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so much for the quick reply. As to the cervical tear, this is an email from my vet:

"Progesterone levels must be over 5ng/ml to be considered pregnant or in diestrus. Since the cervical tear is on the caudal aspect of the cervix you should be safe to discontinue regu-mate as long as the current level is above 5."

That was around day 100 or so I think. We decided to just keep going to day 150 since I would need to buy more Regumate anyway to get through a proper taper. So that is where we are at. Tomorrow we are down to 5 mL from 15 so we are just about done. Should I just keep her on the 5 mL until the vet comes, or is that not enough to matter?

I appreciate your help and will call the vet in the morning and see if they want to come out earlier.
}

Kris
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to update - spoke w/vet's office - they are not worried about the cervical tear, as it was very minor. I am to keep her on the 5 mL of Regumate until her 5-month check next week to be safe. As for the clear fluid, it doesn't seem like an issue that can't wait until the vet comes out, so unless that changes, I will just sit tight. (!!)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US