I am hoping this is No Big Deal, but I have found that my 150 days pregnant mare has clear fluid that I can express from her left teat. Not her right. No bag, no heat, no swelling. It certainly doesn't hurt her as she is not shy about expressing her opinion in those matters.
At the same time, we are just about done weaning her off Regumate that she was put on for a tear in her cervix. My repro vet feels she should be fine to be weaned off.
I really don't know if this has been going on all along and I just didn't notice, but I am riding her and she is groomed daily so I am guessing this is fairly new.
Should I be worried? There are no other signs of problems - no vaginal discharge, no change in appetite, fever, etc.
The vet comes in 7 days to do the 5-month Rhino and to palpate her - should I have her come sooner?
It is curious that your vet would suggest taking the mare off Regumate if she had been placed on it as a result of having a torn cervix. Unless the cervix was repaired, the concern about cervical incompetency (and resulting possible uterine pathogen access) should be present throughout the pregnancy, just as the risk is (the exogenous progestin keeps the cervix more tightly closed).
The concern with premature lactation is that it is possible that is may be indicating placentitis. Typically this would be associated with milk production and mammary development rather than clear fluid presence, so it would not be a major concern to me at this point, although if would not hurt to have the CTUP measured to confirm that all is OK. You would not be likely to see discharge or change in appetite or disposition as indicators of placentitis (although rarely discharge may be present).
Thank you so much for the quick reply. As to the cervical tear, this is an email from my vet:
"Progesterone levels must be over 5ng/ml to be considered pregnant or in diestrus. Since the cervical tear is on the caudal aspect of the cervix you should be safe to discontinue regu-mate as long as the current level is above 5."
That was around day 100 or so I think. We decided to just keep going to day 150 since I would need to buy more Regumate anyway to get through a proper taper. So that is where we are at. Tomorrow we are down to 5 mL from 15 so we are just about done. Should I just keep her on the 5 mL until the vet comes, or is that not enough to matter?
I appreciate your help and will call the vet in the morning and see if they want to come out earlier. }
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 11:33 am:
Just to update - spoke w/vet's office - they are not worried about the cervical tear, as it was very minor. I am to keep her on the 5 mL of Regumate until her 5-month check next week to be safe. As for the clear fluid, it doesn't seem like an issue that can't wait until the vet comes out, so unless that changes, I will just sit tight. (!!)
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: