SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Seasons

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 3 » Seasons « Previous Next »

Nicole Barrow
Weanling
Username: Pegasus

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2011 - 04:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 4 yr old maiden mare showed what seemed to be 2 normal seasons at the beginning of spring and now that it is almost summer I've been teasing her daily for the past 2 months. Theoretically she should be on her 3rd or 4th proper cycle for the season now. She has shown good seasons of normal length in her 2nd & 3rd years previously.

The last season she showed (20 Oct) she only stood for the stallion for 1 day and I had been teasing her on a daily basis so could see that she was only properly receptive that 1 day despite a small show of winking and urinating leadig up to that day.

I did not attempt to cover her as I assumed I wanted to wait until she was about 36 - 48 hrs pre-ovulation to do so to minimise covering. The next day she acted like she had already ovulated & wouldn't stand properly.

According to the above information, day 16 of her current heat was Saturday. I have teased her every morning since she (supposedly) ovulated last month, and up to date she is not showing anything whatsoever and today it's day 18 according to my records. I allow a long time for teasing and for the past 2 days have actually allowed her and the stallion together in a small paddock so that they can really get up close and personal.

Could she have a persistent CL or could there be a more serious issue here? She is maiden in very good condition,never been covered before, and has shown good seasons in the past.

Karen Knight
Weanling
Username: Sparkskaren

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2011 - 04:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a maiden mare a few years ago that was at stud for 3 months she would not show to the stallion at all vet said from scans that she was Ovulating but still she would try and kill the stallion. one day they tried teasing her with another stallion and she started showing. she was then covered and came home. it was decided that she just did not like the stallion that i had picked for her. typically the one she went for was 3x the price. although they teased with the expensive stallion they covered with the cheaper one.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3427
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2011 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She may be demonstrating "silent estrus" (follow that link for more details) or it is possible that she only shows receptivity right at the point of (or very close to) ovulation. This latter scenario would explain why you saw estrus and then a few days later when you went to breed, she was resistant and it would also explain why you are seeing an apparently prolonged period of diestrus - if she only shows around the day of ovulation, you should anticipate 19 or 20 days in between receptive displays!

An ultrasound would answer the question, but my bet is the latter scenario. The moment she shows receptivity, breed!!

Nicole Barrow
Weanling

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2011 - 03:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jos. I will certainly breed as soon as she is receptive to the stallion.

Apart from being nervous of the stallion (which she most definitely is not as she has shown to him for the length of regular seasons in the past) why would she not show anything at all? He is also a great barometer - he knows when the mare is close to ovulation and he will not attempt to cover unless he is satisfied she is ready. His attitude becomes totally different around ovulation - he is vocal and persistent - and this lasts 24 hours max for any of my mares. Even if the mare is squatting and urinating and totally ready, he will not cover unless his 'nose' tells him its the right time. Hence I have been able to successfully breed with just one or two coverings per mare.

This mare has me stumped because she's shown to him previously for the full 5 days of her cycle but the last season seemed extremely short & to date (day 19 according to my records)has shown absolutely nothing despite me allowing them to run together for 2 hours this morning and yesterday morning.

If this persists, would you suggest prostaglandin to try and short cycle her and start again?

BTW, my records have always been spot on as I'm very careful about recording everything from not having a repro vet to rely on:-)

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3428
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2011 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We sometimes lose site of the fact that we are dealing with sentient beings and not automatons with no feelings of their own.

Who knows why the change in attitude. Maybe the stallion said something rude to her on a prior cycle. These things just sometimes happen!

Prostaglandin is not going to cause her to "show" better. It will merely (presuming correct timing) cause destruction of the CL and a return to estrus - which she may demonstrate or not, just like now.

Your solution is going to be to breed the moment you see receptivity and/or have her ultrasounded.

Nicole Barrow
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 04:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point taken:-)

If she doesn't show in the next 2 weeks I will get her u/s. Next q: if the u/s shows she is ready but she won't stand for the stallion, there is not much one can do is there? Apart from getting her AI'd of course which isn't possible at the moment. I've heard of Thoroughbred mares being forced to be bred but that is not something I'd consider,and anyway I doubt I could get the stallion to oblige if she wasn't game.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3429
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can talk to your vet about giving the mare some estrogen. If she is in estrus (i.e. no functional CL) that will be likely to encourage receptivity. Estradiol cypionate will last longer than estradiol 17β.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US