SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Long gestation

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 3 » Long gestation « Previous Next »

Heather
Neonate
Username: Bonsaipony

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have read the article "is my mare overdue" and found it to be very helpful to my situation, but I'd like to hear from people who have had mares with very long gestations. My mare was bred at the end of June last year, and the vet missed the pregnancy when I had an ultrasound at 14 days. She did not display any signs of estrus after, so I had her scanned again at 49 days. The vet found the pregnancy then, but said it looked the size of a 21 day pregnancy. (no possible way the mare was bred later on without my knowing). He recommended palpating her over the winter to make sure it was still there. In January she was palpated and the vet said she was definitely still pregnant and well along. When she hit 377 days I had her palpated again while the vet was here for a coggins on another horse, just to check on things. She said the foal was there but not as big as she'd expect, and recommended checking her again in a month or so if she still had not foaled. Today she is at 420 days, and I just had her palpated yet again. The vet says it's grown since last time, but she doesn't think it's full term yet and suggested I take her for an ultrasound, which would mean a two hour round trip with an already cranky mare and high gas prices. Is there any value in making the trip? Is the ultrasound really going to tell me anything at this point, or is the foal too far along and too big to really tell anything? Based on the article and what little I know of this mare's last pregnancy (I THINK she went very long then too, but I do not know the date she was bred that time)I feel there is little to be concerned about and I just need to be patient. The mare seems fine (just cranky!)and I see movement. Anyone else have a mare go this long?

Teresa Byersdorf
Neonate
Username: Tbyersdorf

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 09:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand the vet telling you to get an ultrasound...the mare is way too far along to use an ultrasound....at least by what I have been told by my vets. The fetus is too big to ultrasound before the mare is even 1/2 way thru the pregnancy.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 2828
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Heather, While my mare did not go as long as yours she did foal out at 386 days. I like you took my mare to the stallion and knew exactly the breed date because she was covered one time, was under vet care the entire pregnancy, She did deliver a healthy stud colt, although he was small. It was her first foal. I would have thought he would have been huge cooking that long but actually I think he had to cook that long to get to his size :-) We found after she delivered she had a mild infection in her uterus. My vet speculated that perhaps that delayed developement. He is now a beautiful 8 year old gelding and perfect in every way. Fingers crossed for you!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3393
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other than the possibility of estimating gestational duration based on orbital diameter - which is irrelevant anyway as you know the breeding date - or the outside possibility that one might detect a twin - again unlikely based on the gestational duration - there's not really any advantage to having an ultrasound at this time that I can see.

Perhaps your vet can offer other possible advantages? :-)

Heather
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, that's about what I thought, I figured the ultrasound wouldn't be too helpful. If the clinic was close I might just do it anyway, but I don't see the point in any unnecessary stress.

The stallion HAS been on the property this whole time, but is in a separate paddock with very secure fencing and I am certain he never had any chance to breed her at any other time, and all the past vet exams indicate she has been pregnant the whole time. Like I said, I am not sure on the length of her previous pregnancy, although if I am right about the time frame that it happened in, I THINK she went between 412 and 441 days, so she's still within that window assuming she's consistent. That foal was very small but quite healthy and matured into a lovely animal.

I am very much looking forward to the foal I have due next spring from another mare, that one is on her 8th pregnancy and never gone a day over 340 and is often a couple weeks earlier than that. Assuming she keeps to her normal patterns, that mare is going to be a breeze compared to this one!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 4020
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather....ALL of my mares went at least 2 wks late this year....and they are minis who usually foal around 315/325....I can only IMAGINE the stress of waiting an extra 100 days....i'd probably shoot somebody LOL

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2829
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana,
Are all your mares settled for next year?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4021
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, it wouldn't DARE be that easy, would it? LOL Misty came unbred, and is rebreeding...I have no idea about the others yet. I will probably do wee foal tests in nov/dec.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2830
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-( bummer...fingers crossed for the rest of your herd :-)

Heather
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, I haven't been tempted to shoot anyone yet, but I have started to get a bit temperamental! I have to remind myself that good things come to those who wait, so this foal better be fantastic.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4022
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, i sure hope it's PHENOMENAL, Heather....I am just not as patient as you! LOL

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US