SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare in continuous heat cycle - Question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 3 » Mare in continuous heat cycle - Question « Previous Next »

kara britch
Neonate
Username: Kbritch

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2011 - 01:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,
I have miniature horses, and I have a mare that is about 12 years old. She has never had a problem with breeding or foaling (states the previous owner.)until this year. We bought her bred (we purchased that stallion also) She foaled 3 months early, and lost her foal, it was still born. The vet had to clean her out, and said she would be fine to breed her next heat cycle (this was Feb 4,2011.) My question is this: We put her in with tht same stallion (who we have foals proven from him currently.) I saw him breed her in early May, and early June. Since he bred her early June she has been in heat for almost 2 weeks straight. So, we put her in with the stallion,he sniffs her, and flirts, but doesn't try to breed her. So, now, I am wondering is there something wrong with my stallion or something wrong with my mare? Any help or ideas would be fine. I currently have 2 mares infoal to this same stallion, they are due in a month.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3995
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2011 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would make me tend to think the mare may have an infection....I'd check her for discharge, and possibly have the vet check her out. I know that my mini stallion will not breed a mare who is dirty....for some reason she doesn't smell *right or ready* to him. It's most likely the mare and not the stallion. I have learned alot from my stallion...and theres usually a reason for all his weird behavior. They usually know more than we do when it comes to breeding time! LOL

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3342
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2011 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That or she's pregnant!

I'd start by doing a pregnancy check before poking things like swabs in through the cervix... :-(

kara britch
Neonate
Username: Kbritch

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2011 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you both! If she had an infection would she have other symptoms? She is acting normally, eating normally, everything seems to be fine. I dont notice any discharge other than the squirting she is doing. Poor thing judt looks sooo desparate in constant heat since the beginning of June trying to find or follow the stallion, peeing and squating in his face. She did get some antibiotics when the vet was out acter she lost her foal. Also, I have heard that a pregnancy test for people will often work for horses, have you any experience with that? Thanks so much for all your input!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3343
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2011 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A uterine infection will typically present no other symptoms other than pathogenic presence in the uterus. Indeed, discharge from the uterus is not normal except in severe pyometra cases.

Human pregnancy tests test for the presence of human chorionic gonadotropin. Funnily enough, horses don't secrete that, but rather secrete equine chorionic gonadotropin... go figure! :-) No. Human tests will not work on the equine.

Have the mare checked for pregnancy by your veterinarian. If she's not pregnant, then check for uterine pathogenic presence.

A vet call is required either way...

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3996
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2011 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Wee Foal test for mares, but they have to be at least 38 days in foal. The 38 day test is not as reliable as the 120 day test, and probably best to get the vet out to know sooner than either of those!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US