SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How likely for a mare to show heat when pregnant never has before?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 3 » How likely for a mare to show heat when pregnant never has before? « Previous Next »

hidden lake stable
Neonate
Username: Hiddenlakestable

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare who made some major attitude changes, consistent with her being pregnant in the past (moved into lead mare spot, very protective of herd suddenly, agressive, more hungry; all of which have been typical of her last two pregnancies). She also usually comes into heat on day 14 after her last heat.

She as bred by AI, once in late afternoon, remained in heat for three days post insemination, was out the morning of the fourth.

She was out of heat on day 14, but today she unrinated and lifted tail for the stallion, however she still squealed at him. I still would call her "in heat". The teaser stud was very interested in her urine, but not very interested in her. I had to struggle to get him to sniff her or her tail, etc...

I obviously will have her ultrasounded before re-breeding, but what are the chances she is actually in foal and just showing hormones from a new follicle developing if she has never done this in the past?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3210
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About 10% of mares show estrus while pregnant.

FWIW, of the mares that show, there is a slightly higher percentage that carry fillies... :-)

hidden lake stable
Neonate
Username: Hiddenlakestable

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very interesting. I LOVE Fillies! lol.

Is there any suggestion that if they have shown heat while pregnant in past that they will do it again (or if they have not shown heat that they will continue to not show heat)?

I swear this is making me feel like I've never bred before :-( Gosh! But I was sure from how she was acting she was in foal, it was such a huge attitude change.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3211
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the reasons for estrus display during pregnancy are not entirely clear, consequently it is not possible to predict that it will or won't happen on subsequent pregnancies.

Christine Marks
Neonate
Username: Mtbcolouredmorgans

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2011 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...ok...I had two mares, different breeds, one Arab one Welsh and they both showed signs of heat while pregnant and both had colts....very interesting...considering that only 10% of all mares show heat while pregnant and most have filles... hmmmmmmmmm

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3317
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2011 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All that means is that 92 other people out of a hundred owners of pregnant mares had mares that did not show estrus; and for your 2 colts, 3 other people had fillies.

Statistics. Simply because you had two mares that showed means nothing as you have to look at a lot of animals to even out the statistic. And as far as you having colts - it's not "most", but "a slightly higher percentage" that have fillies - and that's a long way from "most"!!! :-)

hedgerow pony farm
Breeding Stock
Username: Lotsofponies

Post Number: 204
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering if your mares did a wink and squeal or a full feldge break down where you can drag them away from the stallion?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US