My mare is a maiden, 9 yrs old, roughly 65-70 days bred. She has not been confirmed in foal by a vet. I have done a wee foal 38 with positive results, as well she has not returned into heat.
However, she has been acting studish the last week or so with the mares next door when they are in standing heat. At first it was mild, just sniffing, nipping, and lip curling. Today however she has started biting the mare on the neck, back of legs & running the donkey gelding away, and trying to MOUNT the mare over the fence, (who thinks she is studish enough to let her!). Jos I read on another topic about this here, that at certain stages of the pregnancy the fetus will produce testosterone, is it possible this is whats going on? At 65-70 days? She is not squealing, winking or squatting or peeing. I am not seeing signs of heat in her, unless she is just really screwed up now! I was going to wait and retest next month with wee foal 120, but now I am thinking maybe I should have a vet out to US and possible do blood work. Your thoughts?
The most likely reason is that the mare is pregnant. You can either have her pregnancy checked now by a vet, or wait for the >120 days Wee Foal check period. Obviously if you have major concerns, it is worth having the vet check her, but my guess is that pregnancy would be the most likely explanation.
Duration will vary from mare to mare. It seems likely that testosterone levels are linked to eCG levels and the presence of a functioning CL (or secondary CL's), so it is not unreasonable to presume that one would see a decline by around day 120 of pregnancy.
She didnt act studly for about a week. Then yet another mare came into heat.Of course I didnt know and didnt put kate up because the mini mare foaled and was in the paddock. Unfortunately, I found out because the kids found her in the pasture bleeding. Apparently, she tried to mount again over the fence, and came down on a T post. Thankfully it was just her shoulder, and she suffered torn flesh and a 3 inch gash to her muscle. I took her to the vet, decided to go ahead and Ultrasound before we worked on her and prescribed meds. Well good news is she IS pregnant roughly 75 days. Bad news is she is going to be healing for a while. The vet stitched up the gash, cut off the dieing flesh and we have a lot of work to do twice daily top get her healed as best as possible.
Just another reason to get ALL T posts capped.Will be doing that this week also.
Could have been so much worse. I feel guilty as heck.
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: