SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Does my mare look pregnant?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 3 » Does my mare look pregnant? « Previous Next »

Jean-Mari
Neonate
Username: Reggie123

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 06:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j329/reggielove1/190085_10150115931227372_539417371_6467659_4347639_n.jpg

Hi

I have a mare that is maybe pregnent, she was standing with my colt last year May/April 2010, he was then 1 year and 4 months. They were standing together till he was 2 years old. In between I have taken her out for a week or so and put her back, and now for a while i could not see that she came into season. This was not planned and not buget for. Sadly the vet asks almost R1000 and i am a student and can not afford to get her check for just a yes or no answer, i am saveing for if the foal is there to check both, so i hope you can see from the pics if she is pregnant, her udder is still small but a tiny bit bigger the useal... I will post new pics today. She is stil very big.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3803
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She doesn't look prego with an april foal. But, it's possible she's pregnant for a foaling after that. I don't understand how a foal can be "not planned for" when the two were wilfully left together? I didn't see any udder pics of her on your FB page. Please post them on photobucket as you did the other pic! We'll do the best we can to guess. You can order a wee foal test for $38, and find out for sure.

Jean-Mari
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am from south africa, i can't find it here. Udder stil small.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3807
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.weefoal.com you can order online :-)

Jean-Mari
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks but i am a student and i realy do not have the money for that, i am saveing for the day she gives birth so i can get both checked, this was not planned as I was away on holiday and he got out and the workers put him with her and yes they only told me when i got back.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=296669&id=539417371&l=ec641ba87b

Try this link you would be able to see it now as you are a FB friend

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2394
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok wait.... he was with her from 1yr 4 months till 2years...thats 8 months. You were on holiday for 8 months? And you cant afford a wee foal?Leave them together for 8 months and call it unplanned?
Seriously?
To me she looks like she could be pregnant. Have a vet check her or get a wee foal. She needs more care than just aftercare.

She looks like she could be pregnant.

(Message edited by Bonny on March 04, 2011)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3808
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kinda think she does too, after seeing all the pics.....
If you can't afford a wee foal test, you can't afford a wee foal! I'd certainly be looking into finding the mare someone who can possibly take over her care for you until you can afford it. Foals aren't cheap!

Jean-Mari
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys please I have been working with horses for 12 years!! I rescued this mare, and i went on holiday to make some money to pay my studies!! My parents is curently helping with feed ect and i am a Student and little money!! But i am give her the best attension she needs regarding feeding ect! So please do not tell me i do not no what i am doing ect! I lost a mare last year she got very ill had the vet here almost 24/7!! The foal was 1 month old when she died! I raised him myself!! trough matric! He is 2 years old today and sold him!! I just am not going to waist that money for a yes or no answer... I am trying my best, and the mare you saw she was skin and bones coverd in ticks (took me 2-3 weeks to get all the ticks of) I almost ut all my money into my horses! I am not of the riches, and the stupis farm workers did not think that the colt would cover her! Yes 8 months!! I just asked a qeustion now you get all up tight towards me! I am trying my fliping best here!! My horses are well looked after and i wil def, make a plan to look after the foal i have raised 3 foals befor! One was a orphan! But yes she does look pregnant and do you think she still has till end April??

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3809
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whoa! nobody's getting uptight with you.....I'm just concerned and trying to help. I didn't doubt your ability to care for a horse.
Judging by her udder, I'd say she still has a long way to go (at least 8 weeks) as she has no udder development as of yet. My mares who are due april 21 and 22, have small slightly puffy but filling udders. So in comparison, I'd expect she'd have a ways to go. I wish you the best of luck with your mare, and am glad that you have help financially taking care of things. I hope that she is on appropriate feeding for a mare in her last few months of pregnancy.

Jean-Mari
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey thank you so much! Yes there is a bit of puffyness infront of her teats only a little bit, but yes she is on a studmix, for broodmares

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2395
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2011 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its not about being uptight, its about the truth, You said it was unplanned but the mare was left with an intact colt for 8 months. Maybe The workers left the mare and colt together with out your knowing, but that doesnt change the situatuion. I would consider having them pay to find out if she is indeed bred because she will need care, vaccines and so forth. You said you dont have money for a wee foal, So obviously money to care for a sick foal or a problem during foaling is going to be an issue. If you cant afford it, then the next most responcible thing to do would be to find someone who can.
We didnt say you dont know what your doing, we are just trying to help you. No one can tell by photos exactly how close she is. If she is even pregnant. The best thing would be to have a vet out to check her, second best is to order a wee foal and see if she is pregnant.
Pictures are some what helpful but not exact. No one here can tell you for positive when she is due or if she is pregnant for positive.
I may have come across a bit harsh, but honestly being told that you cant afford a 40$ wee foal but can afford an 8 month holiday seems a bit odd. Maybe you meant you were away at school for 8 months? I dont know. I thought holiday is a vacation.
I have more I could add but think its best to shut up.

Jean-Mari
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes... I was away for WORK!!! To get money to pay my studies!! And i am saveing money for the day that foal comes, inbetween my parents help were they can! I wil never give this mare away in some elses care as i CAN look after her and will do anything to give her the best! No one knows her like I do! And I am from SOUTH AFRICA can not get a wee foal here and it is going to cost me alot to get it here and that just for a yes or no answer, so i rather wait it off, Thanks anyway.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2396
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok fine, cant get a wee foal. Then get the vet out to tell you approximatly when she is due.

Quote" I have a mare that is maybe pregnent, she was standing with my colt last year May/April 2010, he was then 1 year and 4 months. They were standing together till he was 2 years old. In between I have taken her out for a week or so and put her back, and now for a while i could not see that she came into season. and now for a while i could not see that she came into season. This was not planned and not buget for. "

Sounds planned if you (quote) "In between I have taken her out for a week or so and put her back,"

And if you were away....then blamed the workers....(Quote ) "I was away on holiday and he got out and the workers put him with her and yes they only told me when i got back."

Dont bite my head off when your the one posting contridicting information.

(Message edited by Bonny on March 05, 2011)

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3147
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK everyone... chill! :-) (And that's official!!)

Jean-Mari: As has been pointed out, one cannot tell from a photograph if a mare is pregnant or not. I have seen mares "in the flesh" that didn't look pregnant and were, and vice versa, so you can be sure a photo isn't going to be accurate!

While it is true that she has a somewhat rounded appearance in the photo you posted, that could be as a result of a foal, worms or an excess of forage (grass or hay), or something else. As you can see, there are obvious problems with relying on shape as an indicator of pregnancy status!

The fact is that in the event that your mare is pregnant, she should be getting vaccinated for various diseases throughout pregnancy and about 30 days before her anticipated foaling. That latter vaccination in particular protects the foal (who is born without immunity). If you do not check the mare to determine if she is in fact pregnant, then you could be wasting a huge amount of money on unneeded vaccinations if you vaccinate and she is not pregnant; while on the other hand, if you do not vaccinate and she is pregnant, you will be putting the foal's health seriously at risk. You can see by that, the pregnancy check is not as simple as answering a "yes or no" question, but in fact could save you a lot of money, either by avoiding the need for vaccination (if the mare is not pregnant), or preventing huge vet bills if you don't vaccinate the mare and she is pregnant and the foal gets sick.

While I appreciate the financial issues, you can see from above, that a small investment now may save a big investment later, one way or another. The good news is that is appears that the Wee Foal test kit is available in South Africa through MG Enterprises (follow that link for more details), so that at least should save you a little on the shipping costs if you choose to use it.

Good luck.

Jean-Mari
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys realy make me feel so bad and being so rude with me! I am just trying my best!! I will never let a mare or foal suffer! If i need to sell my tack to look after them a will! Not happy!

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2397
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3817
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all, I want to say to Jos that I am (and will remain) "chilled"...if i cross any lines, I apologize in advance.

Jean-Mari, the last thing we wanted was for you to think that we're being rude to you. I think you're very misunderstood and misinformed. The thing is this....if you're staring at a pregnant mare at pasture now, the time to sell tack and handle your business is NOW. When the foal arrives and needs a plasma transfusion or supplemental colostrum, there is no time to sell tack and wait for money to take care of things...you've got 12 hrs. When the mare aborts to Rhino, b/c you didn't get her vaccinations, and the foal is breech...there is no time to sell your tack and wait for money, you need it NOW. When the mare foals with no milk, and you need domperidone and colostrum ordered, there is no time to sell your tack and wait for money, you need it NOW. When the foal has respiration pneumonitis and needs a vet ....there is no time to sell tack and wait for the money....you need it NOW. There are a multitude of things that need done on a moments notice. All of which cannot wait until you can come up with the money. The MOST important part of breeding two horses and bringing a foal into this world is not just the happy feeling a furry baby gives you....it's RESPONSIBLE PET OWNERSHIP. You have an obligation to take care of the mare you "rescued" now that you have put her in this situation. Your duties to her INCLUDE ALL that jos mentioned above, in addition to the loving and petting and tick picking! If you're not doing these things, you're promoting irresponsible practices, and possibly putting your mare who you treasure in danger along with her foal.
I believe (at least from my perspective) that you need to be responsible BEFORE the fact, and then as well AFTER. Being well prepared is very important, and the only way to assure that your mare and foal are cared for properly.
I can appreciate the fact that you're young and looking for advice. But I believe you were looking for a fairy tale answer instead of the truth. Sorry I was unable to deliver that for you.
Wishing all the best for you, your mare, and possible foal.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2399
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very well said Diana. I couldnt agree more.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3149
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2011 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is now closed as it's heading nowhere good. Thank you everyone for your input.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US