SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Placental folding? Jos?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 3 » Placental folding? Jos? « Previous Next »

Audrey Crosby McLellan
Yearling
Username: Accphotography

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 12:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is 10 months pregnant this week (bred once on April 24th) and we just had her last vet visit prior to foaling (hopefully anyway). The vet and I decided to do a trans-abdominal ultrasound just to get one last look at things. I'm not personally familiar with typical results of a 10 month ultrasound so I have no idea what to expect to see at that stage. The vet said everything was normal with the exception of some placental wrinkling and folding. She showed me an area where the placenta was wavy along it's attachment to the uterine wall and an area where it had folded over on itself (it looked a bit like a loop pointing away from the uterine wall on the US). She said this was not a very common finding, but not really an unusual one either. She also said that she only worries about these cases if there is a lot of the folding and she didn't consider this amount a lot. She was sure to say that she could not see the top of the placenta with this type of ultrasound so she couldn't be sure what was up there but she did not feel concerned enough to do something as invasive as a trans-rectal when we have NOO reason to suspect anything is amiss outside of that folding. She did say the placenta was a normal thickness everywhere she could see it and as such she was not concerned about placentitis.

My question for you guys is, is this something that really IS common and we just don't realize it because we don't often do late term ultrasounds? Is this uncommon but harmless? Is it something to be concerned about? Basically I'm just wanting another opinion that my vet is correct in her assessment of its being basically benign. She did say to watch her for discharge, fever and/or sudden udder development (she already has an udder but it's not big yet). Is this standard protocol?

I DO realize it is difficult for anyone to say without having seen the ultrasound themselves so I'm not really asking for specifics as much as general thoughts on the matter.

Thanks!!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3140
Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All sounds pretty reasonable, although I personally don't have concerns about performing late-term trans-rectal ultrasounds, particularly if I have something specific to check such as CTUP.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US