SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

HELP Underweight Pregnant Mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 3 » HELP Underweight Pregnant Mare « Previous Next »

Stephanie
Neonate
Username: Foxysky

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sold one of my mares 3 months ago and let them know she may be pregnant as she was out in the pasture with the stallion. When she left she was in great weight she went to lesson barn and obviously they didnt take care of her properly. When asked why she had lost so much weight they said they work there horses hard so apparently they work hard but don't get fed right. I can see her ribs and her topline is being dragged down and she has a HUGE belly. What would everyone recommend to feed to get her weight up before foaling? I'm guessing she is due in March. i will try to get pics up here later tonight. She is on a round bale and gets 12% sweet feed mixed with safechoice but working on getting my own grain mixed at the mill this week if I can get a good recipe together.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3737
Posted on Monday, January 31, 2011 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the most luck putting weight on horses with Purina Strategy. It's a great feed, and accepted well by most horses. Also has the copper and selenium prego mares need. Hopefully they have stopped working her so hard here at the end of her pregnancy!

Stephanie
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are the pics of her...

Before she left:

[IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/foxysilhouette/10-5-10.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/foxysilhouette/10-18-10.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/foxysilhouette/10-18-10-1.jpg[/IMG]

When she came back 3 days ago:

[IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/foxysilhouette/jan2011-3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/foxysilhouette/jan2011-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/foxysilhouette/jan2011.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/foxysilhouette/Geishaoct.jpg[/IMG]

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3744
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, she sure looks prego in that 3rd pic! That kind of weight loss is not from working hard, it's from NOT EATING...what a shame! Some people should be shot!

Stephanie
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes you are so right Diana it irritates me she looked so good when she left. She already seems much happier and hoping she will start to pick up. yes she looks very preggo in person its insane no bag yet tho thank goodness I have some time.

Amber Ackerman
Weanling
Username: Sunsetv

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw poor baby. I agree with Diana she looks like a not eating skinny. I have the answer to both of our problems yous mare can have all of Rythem's fat

Stephanie
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sad part is I thought I sold her to a good home as it was a lesson and party barn but I would never reccommend a horse to go there.

Amber Ackerman
Weanling
Username: Sunsetv

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah sadly that does happen. You think places are great and it turns out they weren't all they were cracked up to be. At least you found her and got her back before she got too much further along and or worse.

Linda Bauer --
Breeding Stock
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 348
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG, some people. I am sure she is happy to be back home.

Stephanie
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup she is happy to be home. The sad part is the lady who had her says she came super underweight and has gained lots of weight while with her but the pics and my vet say differently. Not fair to any horse but especially a pregnant mare. She will not be for sale ever again.

Carol
Weanling
Username: Cjslev

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats the problem you never really know how someone is going to treat your horse uless you can see them from time to time. This is why when I get an animal I have a terrible time parting with them cause I'm afraid of what might happen to them. Some people think that is a sign of animal hoarding. But I think you just have to make sure you don't take on anymore than you can afford to take care of.

Cheryl Mondry
Yearling
Username: Cmondry

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so glad you were able to get your mare back - she is beautiful. My mare never holds weight unless she is being worked even when pregnant. However, there is quite a difference between that and being thin from not eating....poor baby...I had great luck putting weight on my mare with Calf Manna when I first got her - she was horribly underweight with bones sticking out and she was 4 months along....good luck.

Stephanie
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2011 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the tips. Below are some new pics of her after just 1 week and she seems to be picking up as well as not so depressed.

[IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/foxysilhouette/2-4-11.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/foxysilhouette/2-4-11-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b228/foxysilhouette/2-4-11-2.jpg[/IMG]

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 3752
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stephanie, she does look better! Thank goodness she's back at home!

Tina
Yearling
Username: Hotti

Post Number: 86
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow what a sweet mare, looking very pregnant and far happier now Steph (good on you).
We had a mare here last year that went to bone in the last 2 months and we fed her a huge amount of feed..she had the most amazingly BIG foal..we called him DURASIC. However this seems obviously a case of neglect and you can read that in this mares face. Im glad she is home with you Stephanie!

Chris Taylor
Yearling
Username: Galaxy

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, February 21, 2011 - 03:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oil will give you quick results as long as you introduce it slowly and build up from there. Cold pressed rapeseed oil is about the best you can get or rice bran oil is ok too. I wouild avoid the cheaper supermarket oils...s you really do get what you pay for.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US