SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pregnant Mare with Hives

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 3 » Pregnant Mare with Hives « Previous Next »

Brittany Hindes
Breeding Stock
Username: Bhindes

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 02:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All,

My mare is 7 1/2 months pregnant and we have been battling hives. Usually we give her 1 packet 10mg of dexamethezone and they go away, so far we have given her 2 packets within a 5 day period and they are not going away. How much and how often is it safe to give her without harming the foal or putting it at risk? Also if I don't give her any medicine and just let the hives take it course would it hurt the foal? Her hives sometimes get as bad as her whole body swelling and the hives start to ooze fluid. What do you all think? I jus would hate to do something either way and it hurt the foal.

Brittany Hindes
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone help? I just don't want to hurt the foal. I am only giving her the Dexamethasone when I feel she absolutely needs it. Should I let the hives take its course or will they eventually effect the foal? Also does anyone have any experience in giving Tri hist or antihistamine products to pregnant mares? Is it safe? I hate giving her the Dexamethasone as I fear that it will affect the foal one of these times. My mare gets hives every year in the fall and I have never been able to figure out why. Please give me your advice.

Thank You,
Brittany

Andrea Barnes
Weanling
Username: Gsagain

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry. I have no clue. Have you asked your vet?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3072
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably best to ask your vet. Also good to find out what is causing the allergic response and remove that from the equation...

Brittany Hindes
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 137
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All,

I have asked my vet but she does not even know if the over the counter antihistamines are safe for broodmares so I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with using these products. The hves only happen in the fall nothing in her diet has been changed that she hasn't been eating all year as soon as mid winter hits they usally go away. My concern is for the sake of the foal as I don't want anything to happen to it. Thank you for your input though.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 3700
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2010 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe she just needs an allergy shot? I know that I get one 3 times a year, and they work wonders. One shot lasts 4 months.LOL
I know they give them to dogs, but I'm unsure about horses.

Brittany Hindes
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 07:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All,

The store that sells antihist called the company who makes it and says that it is not safe for pregnant mares. Unfortunatly that mean we are back to giving her the dex. After giving it to her a couple of days later I will try to feel the baby kick and when I do I am very happy. It just worries me because I am the type that will not give her anything besides what is absolutely necessary as I don't want anything happening.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US