SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Can a mare be pregnat if she has milk?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » General Mare Questions - Volume 3 » Can a mare be pregnat if she has milk? « Previous Next »

kelly roberts
Neonate
Username: Kelly40

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 01:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

today i was cleanning my friends horses teats and she squirted out milk. does it mean that she is pregnat?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3047
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not necessarily. Non-pregnant mares, particularly if fat, can also have milk. If you have any doubts however, you should have the mare checked.

kelly roberts
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 05:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks soo much for the response.. and yes the mare is overwieght but has lost weight from exercise and a great diet but a vet check sure will be in order..thanks again,kelly

kelly roberts
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i do have one more question for you...i have a mixed arabian mare about 16 years old... she has a tenency of dragging her back legs(or hooves) out in pastere,but when i ride her she picks up fine-she has always done this since ive owned her for 7 years.its just a pain to keep her hooves rounded..so my question is--is she just being lazy? my other horses dont do this.she sound but it looks funny

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3049
Posted on Monday, November 08, 2010 - 02:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a reproduction question, so best ask your farrier or your vet! :-)

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2317
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 09:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos...
Could you explain to me why an over weight mare can produce milk? And also, once she loses the weight will it stop? , if so , how long does it usually take?
I am thinking this is what happened to my mare, but she has been loosing weight steadily for almost 4 months and now is at a more desirable weight.
Also another question, Will the loosing of the weight also shorten her cycle days? Or could this be from winter coming? The first cycle she had after she came here, she showed to my gelding for almost a week but the last 2-3 cycles she has only shown for one day. Your thoughts on this?
Thanks in advance!

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 3056
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Typically this issue relates to increased prolactic production which stimulates mammary development and milk production. Whether it will go away when she loses weight depends upon the underlying cause of the obesity - if the obesity is related to Cushing's or pre-Cushing's syndrome then that issue will have to be resolved or brought under control before the hormonal irregularity resolves.

Showing to a gelding is an unreliable form of estrus determination. Although some mares will "show", typically the gelding will not give a consistent degree of teasing and consequently over time the mare may lose interest in him causing an apparent reduction in response. If she was teased with a stallion you may have seen a completely different response. Or not!

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 493
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2010 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that is not overweight but her previous owners used her as a breeding machine and she now always has milk. Not a huge udder but puffy-- and we can express milk if we try

Allison Sable
Neonate
Username: Sableranch

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2011 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare that is 14 and has had 7 foals (none in the last 2 years) She is not fat at all infact is a hard keeper and needs all you can eat food. She is producing milk, should i be worried. It was convinient last year when her daughter died and left a 2 mo old foal that needed nursing (the grandmother nursed it to 5 months with no hiccups or rejection issues).it's now the 3rd spring with no foal and she still lactates. Should we be concerned. could this be why we are having trouble getting her pregnant the past 3 years where previous years she was easy?

Sara
Weanling
Username: Sznanners

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, June 27, 2011 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently took in a mare that is approximately 14 years old. She was underweight and a very hard keeper as well. I called the vet out as soon as I got her home and her checked her to verify she was not in foal. He said some mares just produce and that it is nothing to worry about. He called it witches milk....she is a great mare and has filled out nicely and looks wonderful.....and still has milk :-)I had him out again last week as my other mare was injured and he took a peek at her again and said she may always have it and still told me not to worry. Best of luck to you :-)
As far as getting her bred, I have no idea as I have not planned to breed my mare...although she is such a sweetie and registered very well, she has had it rough and I just don't want to put her through that. Hope all goes well for you!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US