SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

First Show!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » First Show!! « Previous Next »

Hannah MacDonald
Weanling
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well today Huey went to his first show and finished 3rd in the foal class. It was his first time out in the horse lorry, first time at a show and behaved fantastically well!! Am v.pleased and cant wait for the next one!!!

Hannah Elizabeth Lough
Nursing Foal
Username: 20hannah10

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations!! What do they do in the foal class, I would like to show Roxy in one just for the expierience. Is it like a showmanship class?

Hannah MacDonald
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 07:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foal class - we walked round the ring a few times, judge is looking at their walk, attitude etc. Then we trot them up alongside their mums, all done one by one so they dont all run off!! Then the judge calls them in their preffered order from what she has seen, then checks confirmation and then again they get trotted up to and away from the judge to see if they have correct straight movement.

Nothing too strenuous at all, you just need to make sure that they lead well and are happy to run alongside mum without shooting off to often.

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I showed my yearling at two paint horse shows this year. He showed in halter, in long line, in in hand trail and color class. He did amazingly well in all the classes. He got second in halter, Reserve Grand CHampion in Halter, first in Long Line, and First in In hand Trail.

The second show in July he got almost the same, so we collected 16 ribbons in total and got him some APHA points in his yearling year. Not too many people show yearlings and no weanlings were at the shows this year. Im hoping more show up for the two year old classes next year.

I will attach a picture of him with his ribbons for you to see what he looks like at 15 months old.

Deb.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/canadianhorselady/1595BurnettBanner1Small.jp g

Hannah Elizabeth Lough
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hannah, your yearling is fabulous. Would you mind me asking what you feed him? I have a two month old paint filly and I want her to grow to her full potential. Do you have any suggestions?
I just measured her she is 12.3 at the wither and 13.3 at the hip. Her dad was 10 hands and her mom is 14.3 Thanks

Hannah MacDonald
Weanling

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

congrats debbie! I never knew showing could be such fun but its great being able to enjoy competing them at such a young age. I am really looking forward to my next show and then doing the yearling classes next year.

Have you had to do much prep work with yours debbie?

Hannah Elizabeth Lough
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry i meant to put 16 hand lol definitly not 10!

H Ducey
Neonate
Username: Heppy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I showed my yearling palomino overo paint filly last year in halter, longe line and in hand trail. She did super too and I was all excited about showing her at Congress in Longe line and In hand trail..but they didn't offer In Hand Trial... Total bummer. She was awesome in those classes but it wasn't worth it to me to take her for Longe line alone, so we stayed home. She's done super this year in about any class you can enter one in. She's competed and placed in large OPEN trail classes this summer. I'm soooo proud. LOVE the In Hand Trail for Yearlings!

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Hannah;

I brought him up to Canada from Indiana in January of this year, then he went to a trainer in April. She did all the work, which included some ground work, and even getting him used to respecting electrical fencing since he had only ever been on page wire in the US.

She taught him long line, and voice commands, as well as manners, respecting her space, standing for feet cleaning and even bathing, trailering, etc.

She then got him ready for his first show in June of this year, then a second one in late July.

Being a yearling, there were only a few events he could compete in, which were halter, stand there and look pretty, long line, walk trot, stop, reverse direction etc. and lastly the in hand trail which was over bridges, around pilons, backwards through pilons, sidestepping a post, backing into a box, through a gate etc.

I found that not many people show yearlings, so there wasnt enough competition (not enough horses entered to get APHA points) to make it worth the expense of trailering and training etc.

For this coming year, we are going to start training again in March for going under saddle. That way, he will be able to enter more events and those are the ones with larger number of horses, so that means points.

However, that all said, my main reason for taking him out to the shows was for him to be seen. He is a stud colt that I hope to use for breeding purposes when he is 3. I want those looking for studs to know hes around, and him being a homozygous tobiano perlino, he is rare up here.

Also, seeing him do so well in the shows is very addictive. He has his first APHA points for Reserve Grand Champion from June, and I am waiting for the July show to be posted on the APHA site, and keeping my fingers crossed for even more points next year, and maybe a few more shows to get him seen, maybe even one in NY depending on the expense and border problems.

Deb

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US