SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Weaning foals

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Weaning foals « Previous Next »

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 568
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pulled Catcher (4 months) off of Dream last night and started the weaning process. This AM, Dream's udder is engorged. How long does that last and is there anything I should watch for or anyway I can make it less painful? Dream is not complaining...I am just having my own baby flashbacks! If I gave her banamine, would it help her or am I just wasting money?

Hope Parr
Weanling
Username: Hope26us

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,
When I wean my babies I start with only a couple hours a part for the first 3 days. Then I add 2-3 hours every two to three days I'll take on a couple more hours. I had to start at 3 1/2 months for my one colt since he's growing so fast and had to had a Ligament cut in his from legs from Contracted tendon's bring him up on his toes. He's now 4 months and 1 week and is weaned and all the way off Mom today. The last day I put my babies out for about half hour with Mom. She's not in any discomfort and that made a gradual decrees in milk production. Instead of one big long shock of No foal.

Hope Parr

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee,
Doesn't the udder get HUGE??!!!! The poor mares.
My therio vet advised once weaning was "truly" underway to cut the mares grain ration by 50% for about a week. This reduces the amount of lactation due to the reduction of calories.
Get her OUT. This made the most difference for my mare. I also hosed her poor udders down once or twice.
I also did a slow-ish wean, which did help with the milk issue..but she still blew up when he was pulled completely.
Cut her grain, let her out to exercise, and don't milk her...it will only delay the process.

Off topic, ...Hope, how is your colt doing?? The one with the ck ligament surgery? Mine had it as well. Are you pleased with the surgery site?

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 569
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the input. I put her out to pasture all day and I left her out tonight since the weather is good. I will cut her grain...I didn't know about that trick. I did touch them tonight to make sure that they were not hot to the touch...I am doing the cold turkey wean, not the slowish. My poor mare went from normal nursing size to huge over night! I sooooo remember that with my last baby. They used to give women a shot to dry up milk and they stopped between my second and third child...surprise. I spent 2 days with cold packs strapped to my chest! I can't figure out how to make that work for my mare...maybe I will give the cold water hose a try.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 498
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 08:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are also some herbal remedies you can give to help dry the milk production out - I cant remember them off the top of my head so this is not a suggestion but if you were to look it up start with peppermint because I think that was one of them - I use a book by hilary page self and its really been fantastic. Just an idea if anyone else is interested in that approach...

Hannah MacDonald
Weanling
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How exactly do you go about this process, Huey is quite independant and happily wanders off in the field but really not sure what the best approach is - do you turn them out and then seperate, leave one of them in?

Any advice would be great

Also I am looking to show them, once his is weaned will this be a problem?

And...when is best time to get him gelded?

Thanks
Hxx

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 977
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well we just past Gracies first day alone. After the immediate hollering mom and baby settled down and were quiet throughout the night but they both sound off when the see a person and carry on for quite a while. I think they are trying to coax (or harrass) the "person" to put them back together :-) Strict instructions posted that they are to be left where they are despite how desperate the seem. When the "person" leaves they quiet right down.

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 715
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh, that has to be hard to hear them holler like that!

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 512
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will get easier each day, hang in there! :-)

Zoe Urquhart
Weanling
Username: Landtober_babe

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2008 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when we wean our foals we use 2 foaling boxes, both are very secure with 7ft partitions that mare and foal can see through, we try to wean them in pairs so mare and foal have a buddy to find comfort from.
We ensure foals are eating hard feed rations at least twice a day, are reasonably well handled (to avoid extra stress) and are used to the place they are being kept in.
We keep the mares next door for up to a week until all calling stops or mares can be turned out near by without panicking, when they are settled mares are removed from the farm to another farm with there normal herd.
The foals are then supervised for a couple of days before they are added to the already weaned group for day time turnout. They remain in there pairs until they are fully handled and we work out there individual requirements (feeding, nervousness, issues ect) once we know what they need they are re-paired with an existing turnout mate who has similar needs or in the case of a nervous foal we will pair them with something quiet but confident to leatn from.
This works fantastic for us so far.

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 260
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 01:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have any of you tried weaning a foal with a quite mini?

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 608
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No I havent but I dont see why it wouldnt work. My mini is a doll with ppl but is boss of all the big horses. lol

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 609
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hannah - I dont geld until both testicles have dropped between 2-3yrs of age. It is becoming a common practice to geld much much early, but I still wait till later.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 261
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I plan on trying it when the time comes. My mare and mini are best buds right now, but when the baby comes, I'm sure it will be a different story. When do you think I will be able to put the mini with my mare and foal out in the pasture at grazing time?

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 611
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very seldom due I see herd structure change over a mare having a foal. So I'd give the little guy a day to get his feet. Then turn them out together. I will leave a long lead or lungeline on the non mother mare when first introducing them that way if something unexpected happens you can grab her up without getting in the middle of flying hooves.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 517
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene, I think the mini would work well. I usually turn mom and foal out by themselves for a couple of weeks with a shared fenceline so they can all "meet" and touch noses but no one will get hurt. When it looks like everyone is fine and getting along between the fence then I turn them out together. I have never had a problem using this method. When I wean, I put mom in a different stall with run and leave baby in the normal place with one of my other mares. They know each other from being turned out together and seem comforted. Again, this has always worked wonders with me. I have never had any of my foals screaming for mom, they have all done ok. :-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 262
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the advice Jenni and Tracy.

Terry Waechter 5 march foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have found that the fact that the horses involved in the foaling/weaning etc process are part of a herd makes a lot of difference. Often the foals are very independent and have already made a place for themselves in the group before weaning is even started. I feed the babies in a separate pen next to Mom from an early age and before many days go by the foal is asking to go into there own place at feeding time. It is the mare I remove from the herd when I wean and when I put her back in the weanlings have all moved across the fence to their own pasture with their gelding baby sitter. There are a couple of days of calling and a swollen bag that is handled with a no grain diet and a little Bamamine if needed.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 650
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I need to specify what I meant the mare does not loose her place in the herd bc she had a foal. By the time weaning occurs the foals have made their own place. Also I dont leave the lead on for a long time and only use it when introducing the non mommy to the mare and foal. This obviously doesnt work if you are putting mom and baby out with several other horses. A fence line is better for that situation.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 264
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you on that Jenni. My barn has seperate runs attached to the stalls. My mare and the mini are right next to each other, so when she has the baby and they go out in their runs the baby and the mini will be able to sniff noses. If my mare will let her that is. I was planning on keeping my mare and her newborn foal in the run that is attached to the barn for the first day or two, before I put them in the pasture. I think the first time or two I will only put mom and baby out in the pasture until the baby gets used to its new surroundings before I add the mini to the mix. Does sound like a good plan?

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 657
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your plan sounds fine better safe than sorry. I dont see any potential problems with it. who was the boss b4 mini or your mare?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mare.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 658
Posted on Thursday, January 10, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

then you really wont have a problem

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just worry about my mare hurting our mini.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 666
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If thats the case leave the lead on your mare instead or the mini. I'd leave it for an hr or longer and just stay close by ( I have a 20ft lunge line). If your mare gets to agressive with the mini you'll be able to grab her and get her attention asap. After you see how they are mingling you can make a decision to leave them together or to seperate them from there.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 531
Posted on Friday, January 11, 2008 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will also get a good idea on how they are going to be on how they interact thru the fenceline. If your mare pins her ears and goes for the mini thru the fence then you know you can't turn them out together but if they all seem fine and mama doesn't care if her foal touches the mini thru the fence then will probably be ok to turn out together. :-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 269
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jenni for all your advice.

Tracy, thanks I'll keep that in mind.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 673
Posted on Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your welcome wishing you the best.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 514
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 08:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The most important part of weaning is cutting the mares grain out. I do not feed mares for one week prior to weaning and up to two weeks post weaning and the udders seldom get huge, I think I had to milk like 3 of 18 mares this year. I don't do the sort of seperation thing, that would be a pain and my guys would most likely quit! I just one day take the mare out of the field and leave the foal with the rest of the other foals and mares.

Paul Liberty
Weanling
Username: Sptxthrill

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We do the 'buddy' system at weaning time. Usually we have 3 mares and 3 babies in 1 pasture, we pull 1 mare out at a time leaving 2 mares with 3 babies and that way the weaned foal has the other 2 foals as buddies, and the mares have their buddies as we take the mares to another place we have down the road and it's not so stressful on either the mare or the foal and the mares can't hear their foals calling for their mamas. I also don't grain the mares for at least a week after weaning. I do vaccinate the foals a week before they are weaned.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 515
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess we do the buddy system in a big way, I just keep the foals in the baby field and move the mares to the other side of the farm. They holler for the first hour and that is it. I had a girl this year who I had leant a mare to and I requested the mare back and she informed me she was only 2 weeks into the weaning process, I was like process?! My process is one day they have mom and the next they don't!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 556
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also stop the grain and move mom to another stall. I don't have a huge facility so they are able to see each other but can't touch. Baby stays in his paddock with another mare to keep him company, this has always worked for me too.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 07:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tracy, Is it snowing at your place yet? It is here in Port Angeles, WA. Do you know of anyone in our area that might keep colostrum on hand?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 559
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Charlene, it's not snowing at my place but it is in town. I live right by the Snohomish river so it has to come down a lot to get to me. I kind of wish it would, I love the snow!!

I don't know of anyone in our area that keeps colostrum on hand but maybe try calling Puget Sound Reproduction. I believe they are here in Snohomish and work with Pilchuck Vet Hospital. If they don't have it they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 279
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tracy. I have the number to Pilchucks, should I just call them, or do you think Puget Sound Reproduction would be a better resourse?

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 724
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know the real stuff is best but I keep the powdered stuff on hand at all times. Its better than nothing in a pinch also you can continue to feed the powdered over their food or give it to adult horses who need a little boost.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 281
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What brand do you use Jenni? Does it have the same antibodies as the real stuff, and will a foal surive with it if he or she doesn't get the real thing?

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 728
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fortunately I've never had to use it as a sole source but they are supposed to be able to survive on it without the real stuff. Honestly I just buy whats available (sounds bad I know) but I use it mostly as a pick me up for adults.
www.jeffersequine.com sells some that is pretty good I believe last year a foal from here was brought up on it. I'll get the name of what I have tomarow. I got it from the feed store in a 50lb sack or i should say hubby did.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 282
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni, are you talking about the one by Manna Pro? I was thinking of getting it. I had the page dogeared and the stuff circled.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 729
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no the mana pro is just a milk replacer
this one looks good http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=1&mscssid=FV2V76JP9X8D8K3VWA4VR 8A26KXB5U85

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 730
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I just seen the colostrum by manna pro the natures way looks good to. I would call jeffers and ask which would be best. they used to carry a paste foal starter as well you might ask the about.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not according to my catalog. What is the name of the one your talking about cause the link you pasted didn't work http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/products.asp?CID=1&mscssid=71MEX91M2QPG8NJDP1NX Q23NXUDE6B92&area=&BrowseList=461&dept_id=522&c=&sort=&r=1

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, I'll ask my vet about it, then I call Jeffers.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 731
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.bioqual.com/immuno_gam.asp
check this out this one sounds great but you have to call for pricing.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 560
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene, I would call Pilchuck first. If you can't purchase it from them they could probably point you in the right direction.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 732
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=1&mscssid=J050F4TW01QK8JFJ7787L VG8S7DP948D

this should be the ultrastart in jeffers

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 733
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

plz dont think i'm recomending the powder over the real stuff at all bc im a firm believer in the good stuff, but Id rather give the foal the powder asap if its going to be a few hrs b4 the real stuff is available than let them go without anything. Plus the powder will store for over a yr so its not a bad investment

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 285
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 01:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tracy I will call Pilchuck first.

Jenni I didn't think that at all. I just want to be prepared just in case my mare leaks all her colostrum or she won't let the foal nurse, etc. I'm trying to find someone local who might have the real stuff stored in their freezer, over getting the fake stuff. Thanks again. Char

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 516
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 04:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pull colostrum off my mares when they foal and mark the baby bottle and freeze it, that way when I need it, I have it, thank God have not needed it in years!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy, when do you collect and how much. Also what do you use to collect it in for freezing purposes?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 766
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, I was wondering if you're collecting the colostrum from the mare, how much do you collect from the mare? Does it encourage the mare to leak even more after milking? My mare was streaming milk (colostrum) before birth.

When do you need to milk her? When she's dripping or streaming? By milking her I would be depleting the mare's own supply, so I would have to give the foal all the previously milked milk to make sure she receives the colostrum right?

I'm to understand that you need to give the baby the milked colostrum for a few days, does the baby eagarly drink this from the bottle after it's been drinking from the mare?

(Message edited by marilyn_l on January 15, 2008)

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock
Username: Lisa98

Post Number: 201
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you collect bottles from a mare it's usually done just post foaling. I collect one bottle per mare, after the colostrum has been tested to be sure it's "good" and then freeze it like Cathy said. The mare will still have plenty for her foal. I have never done it prior to foaling. It's just to be used if a mare has really poor colostrum, dies, or rejects the foal. I've only had to use it in the case of the mare having poor colostrum....knocks on wood.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, I think Cathy is talking about collecting after the baby is born and everthing is ok, then you can safely collect about 8oz at a time and still have plenty for the baby. This would be so you can store some in the freezer for future foalings if you needed it. I've read that if your mare is leaking or streaming colostrum before the baby is born, then you just want to collect it with some sort of sterile container by just holding it up to her nipples. You don't want to physically milk the colostrum out of her if she is leaking and the baby hasn't been born yet because this will cause her milk to come in to early. I was wanting to get some, or at least find a local supplier that would have some on hand just in case I need it. Like since she is a maiden, she could reject the foal and not let it nurse, or for whatever reason the foal might not be able to nurse, or if the foal was to weak to nurse on it own, then I would have to milk my mare and bottle feed it to the baby. That is why I plan on getting that "udderly ez mare milker", just in case I need it.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 767
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you girls for explaining all this to me. I'm relatively new to breeding, so I'm trying to soak up as much information as I can. You've helped me understand more about this process. Thank you so much girls.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 768
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I'm going to do. I'm going to collect the milk after the foal is born and then test it to make sure it has enough colostrum. Is there a test kit that you can buy to test it?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 293
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's an IcG test, and I think your vet has to do it. I'm a first time breeder too. That is why I've been reading everthing I can to get myself better informed, because this whole thing scares me to death. I've spent alot of money getting my mare pregnant, and I love her to pieces. So I just want everything to go ok, and have a health foal.

judy cervantes
Yearling
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I SECOND EVERYTHING YOU JUST SAID CHARLENE.IM GETTING SCARED AND EXCITED..

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad I'm not alone. That is why I love this website. I don't know what I would do without all of you helping me out. My daughter said if my computer gets a virus or breaks down, I'll be a basket case. Well aleast I have your email address.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 770
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again!! If I ask again sometime down the line, it's because I'm getting so forgetful. Drat this old age stuff sucks!

Charlene, if the computer has a virus or breaks down, her email address won't help you. LOL!!! I'm sorry, I couldn't resist, I just thought that was funny!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 298
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I know, I just thought of that after I clicked post message. Oops, too late. Sucks getting forgetful. That's why I have to write everything down.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 773
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me too!!!

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 737
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 04:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got back from the DR he moved my date up to Friday sounds like you all have been having fun. lol Colostrum is a great thing to have on hand and I'm glad that you all are trying so hard to get the real stuff just in case.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 775
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So your going to have your C section this Friday?

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 988
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1/18 is a Great Day! That is my only daughter's birthday and now it will be your only son's birthday too! I will be praying for a safe delivery and healthy boy!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 776
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea for Jenni! How great is that. I am very excited for you!

Now I don't want you worrying Jenni, everything is going to go smoothly and soon you'll have that little guy in your arms. I can't wait to see pictures!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 566
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How exciting Jenni! Can't wait to see pics of that new boy! :-)

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni-I can't believe that you're having your baby already....it seems like such a short time ago you were telling us that you were "bred" too!! Congrats and, of course, many thoughts and prayers for you and the little baby boy!!!

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 739
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You all!!!!!!!!!! I'm so looking forward to it. I WANT TO SEE HIM!.
My DR did that wonderfl exam we all love-yuk- and decided he wanted to see me this Friday morning for my blood work then do the c-section Friday afternoon.
IM SO EXCITED NOW!!!!

Zoe Urquhart
Weanling

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Jenni!! it`s not fair I still have 6 weeks to go!!! it`s forever LOL!!
Good luck - keep us posted x x x

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 745
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HOW ARE YOU FEELING? I'LL SAY A LITTLE PRAYER THAT YOU GO AT 38WKS (STILL FULL TERM) AND HAVE A HEALTHY BABY GIRL! HOW IS YOUR MARES EDEMA?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 299
Posted on Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be thinking of you Jenni. Can't wait to see pics of your new son.

Zoe Urquhart
Weanling

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 04:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I`m dying from flu!! I feel fat and slow and udeless too LOL!!! so everything fairly normal.
38 weeks would be great
Nan is still getting a little edema now and then but I have spoken to other breeders are they are saying it`s the fact she is in such good condition, I`ll give it a little time and see how she goes.
I can`t wait to see pics of your new baby boy, I bet you can`t wait to meet him properly too!!! not long now though x

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 517
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn I use a device called a colostrometer to measure the weight of the colostrum and I collect it in baby bottles then straing it through cheese cloth to get the dirt out. I only collect about 9 ounces a mare and it needs to be done in the first 6 hours after foaling. I also lable each bottle just in case something goes amiss and the mares colostrum is deemed bad.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 783
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy, thank you so much for the detail, I'm rather nieve when it comes to this. I will make sure I copy this thread so I won't forget what everyone has told me. You've all been a great deal of help!

Zoe, I hope you're feeling better today. Stay in and keep warm.

Marilyn

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, like Cathy, have used a colostrometer; but I have read on here that you can use a tester for anti-freeze too. Obviously not as accurate; but colostometers are not cheap and are sort of hard to find calabrated for equine and not bovine. Maybe, Marilyn, you can search for colostometer and find out which antifreeze tester can be used. I'm going to see if I can find it too as my colostometer was broken during my last move. Crumbs.

Zoe-congrats on your baby too; sorry to hear your ill - that is the worst, being pregnant and sick.

Jenni-can't wait for pics!!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 785
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Lisa. Hey if you find one cheap, can you let me know, that is if there's more than one. I really have to watch my money right now and I can't afford "not cheap". *smile*

Thank you very much, Marilyn

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, this is from Jos last season:

You can also use an antifreeze tester for your car (follow that link for an example - http://www.247autoparts.com/store/antifreezetester.html), which can be obtained from Wal-Mart and car stores in the USA. You milk out some colostrum, and draw the colostrum up into the eye-dropper (you do not need the little rubber hose on the end - pull that off before use). Tap the glass part after filling to make sure that surface tension has not drawn the beads up to the top. You want to see all of the little plastic beads floating in the colostrum. If any are left at the bottom, you have low IgG levels. If any are at the very top, you have high IgG levels. It is not a quantitative analysis, but gives a good indication - and is considerably cheaper!!!

I had to put in the link b/c it didn't copy over. Cool huh??

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 786
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This I can afford. Thank you Lisa!!!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 572
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zoe, hang in there! I'm still recovering from the flu myself :-( Being pregnant on top of it makes it miserable.

I might go out myself and buy one of those antifreeze testers, I can handle $2.99 :-)

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 749
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zoe you poor soal!!! being this far along (beeched whale stage) and having the flu is just flat out cruel. I will keep saying those little prayers on your behalf.

thnx everyone I will post pics asap. 1 more day!! cant believe it

Terry Waechter 5 march foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jenni...best wishes for a happy and healthy delivery...babies are the best...a joy and a blessing to be a mother...Terry

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 994
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni~I will be praying for you on the 18th!

Hubby and I are off for a week long vacation so I will be checking back in a week and hope to see lots of pictures of babies and foals!

Take care all!

Jan

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 759
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Terry & Jan.
I hope you have a wonderful vacation.

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 519
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got my colostrumeter at Exodus breeders supply, it was pricey but worth it with as many babies as we drop a year!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 581
Posted on Thursday, January 17, 2008 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cathy, how much does a colostrumeter usually run?

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 522
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought mine like 8 years ago and it was like $150 I think.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 607
Posted on Sunday, January 20, 2008 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US