SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Unknown due date

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Unknown due date « Previous Next »

Michelle Lyons
Neonate
Username: Chelle

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 05:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now some out there whould chastis me because I don't know the due date. But there is a reason. First, I need to share about this mare then I will tell you what is going on.Last summer I argeed to buy this mare. there was a stipulation that theprevious owners were to get to breed her to any stud but they were responsible for the stud fee and extra mare care this would intel. Ok this mare was bought by me because if I had not bought her, she would be dead with out any doubt. Let me explain why. Last summer during the first part of June this mare ran through a barbed wire fence. She nearly cut off one front foot and cut the back feet very badly. They did not know how to care for these woundsand so had the local vet take care of it for a little over a month. By the way our closest vet is not a horse vet he will tell you this. He says I know more about horses then he does(how to take care and fix traumatic wounds)so you see where this is haeded I hope. I got a call one day from my hubby about this mare she was in his bosses field. He says to me you need to come look at this mare if you don't she may die. So I went out and her leg from the tip on her toe to her knee was swollen so bad you could not see the knee joint. So she came home with me she was takebn care of and now only has scares(vet said she would be lame the rest of her life but she is now running in the field) during this stressful time I have a stud that is four and I had no mares. She was seperated from him. But he got in with her and bred her. OK this is where it gets wierd. He only bred her once this time and she came back in heat. so we bred her on purpose this time to give him some prsctice(first times for him) she came back into heat. we didn't breed her the next few times because we thought she didn't settle and didn't want to be too late in the year and since she didn't settle and is in good health we would let them breed he this spring. Ok, I hope you get where this is going. She is very pregenate she has milk(yellow clear kind of amber in color) and she has the V and she is starting to show a little pink in her vulva and last night she was very sweaty arouns her teats. I have no idea when her due date would be because of the accedental breedings. but baby is large and vot as active as it once was and the milk I check on her all the time. The last time they were together that I seen was in November but she looks due soon. I have ordered a foal milk testing kit and some other stuff. Please share any info you might have.
Thanks

Michelle Lyons
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also I need to say that she has soft bowel movments and they smell Like spinach (sounds gross but you can smell it right away) and her tail head is becoming soft I check on her and so does my hubby(he doesn't know what to look for) he is starting to get annoyed about the whole thing I told him to get used to it we will be doing this for a while. Oh and she is not a madian she has had at least five foals that I know of two live next door to me.

Beth Nesbitt
Weanling
Username: Ponygirl

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michelle,
I don't have a due date either, but I think both our mares are close.

Michelle Lyons
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got the shots to give her. But now that she is so close I went to my vet today and got an antitoxin for the baby when it is born. I am glad there is someone ou tthere that knows what I am going through. I hope we both have healthy foals. What are you hoping for?

Beth Nesbitt
Weanling
Username: Ponygirl

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michelle,
I just want a healthy foal. Since I don't know about the sire, everything will be a surprise.

Michelle Lyons
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is doing good got the foal predictor kit and tested her no signs that she will foal in the next 24 to 48 hrs. But I am still keeping a close eye on her. She has dropped back alot more and her pelvic bone is getting ready. She now has a little bit of an opaque tint but it is still very clear. So now we are playing the waiting game. I have to have surgery on the 2nd of august so I hope she either has it before or after(fingers crossed) I will let ya'll know when she has it and I will post pics.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 558
Posted on Monday, July 17, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michelle - let us hope it is before surgery! Those clumsy little foals can knock you around the first day as the misjudge things like ...how much room they need to allow for stoping before running you over!

Michelle Lyons
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks kathy but it seems (not for certian because you never know) that she is going to do things slow. But there is one thing good about my surgery that is it is just an oral so I should be alright playing with the baby as long as I don't bend over the first two days after surgury. Don't want to cause a dry socket.. I have hadteeth pulled and I heal quickly so I should be back on my feet in no time.

Michelle Lyons
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am keeping a close eye on my mare and she is still just huge and has a small bag it is getting a little bigger and her tail head is not to mushy yet but soft and she is still holding her tail down. she is deffenatly dropped though. her belly is really pointed but milk is still clear and very yellow. You can still see right through it. it is getting a bit thinner though. she is also chasing off the other horses she doesn't want tthem around her and she is not normally like this. I will keep you all updated on the progress.

Michelle Lyons
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos
I am soory but I have seen a test for foal antibodies but can not remember what the name of it? I know that the blood has to be prepared and such and have arranged with a vet to use his spinner but I can't remeber the name. can you please let me know so I can get the test for my comming baby. Thanks

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 946
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What antibodies are you trying to evaluate? IgG or antibodies against the foals own red blood cells (Neonatal Isoerythrolysis)? Two very different things!!!

There are commercial test kits for the former - "Immunocheck-G" is one (also marketed by Exodus Breeders Supply as the Quick Check IgG Test Kit. For the latter, a "Jaundiced Foal Agglutination test" is often performed.

Michelle Lyons
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jos I am wondering though how common is the Jaundiced foal agglutinion test neded? The reson I ask is because the vets around here are not known for their horse knowledge if you might understand so is it something I can do or does a vet have to do it? I read the instructions but don't quite understand every thing and will be reading it again. I am saving the money to go to some classes on equine repo because of this lack of equine knowledge and hope to do so soon. Around here we really need someone who knows what they are doing. And it will be a side job for me because I will not be running an entire practice on it I am just going to do it for me and I know it will help some other folks out. but if I can not do the JFAT then I am at a loss. Thanks again!!! Just trying to make sure I have a healthy foal.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US