SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Edema - what is it and what should I do

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Edema - what is it and what should I do « Previous Next »

Kyle Koehler
Neonate
Username: Echo_ridge_farm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would like some info on Edema in my mare....

BACKGROUND: This is my first foal and my 10 year old Red Dun's second (she had foal at 3 years old).

She was bread July 19th, 2005 and we anticipated foal on June 24th. According to previous owner she foaled about a week late last time (7 years ago).

She started developing udders 2-3 weeks ago. Really got going in last week. She in relaxed in the butt and tail is high. Udders are VERY firm and large. Can express some liquid but is clear/sticky not very cloudy. The very end of her teats are still soft and loose.

I think she is ready to go any evening now. She lays down at night and grunts but no kicking/pacing/colic signs yet. As a matter of fact... this pregnancy made her the most gentle horse I own.

She been in 16 x 20 birthing stall for 10 days with a couple of days out in the field with her friends. I am afraid of all I have read about "fescue" grass so I've limited her time with them since she developed udders.

MY QUESTION is that she has started to develop "edema" in front of her udders. I think I understand what this is but don't know how worried I should be about it.

Is it something I should call the vet about or just let it go and watch it. Will exercise help this condition?

Like I said this is our first foal after having horses for 10 years. I have the camper parked outside her stall where I can listen and watch for a distance. My kids and I have enjoyed the adventure of being on "foal patrol" over the last 10+ days.

Just found this website a week ago. It's is a great source of information. Thanks for your help in advance.}

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 647
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 03:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kyle,
Under most situations edema is normal, especially at this point in her pg. Edema is swelling. Do watch her legs, if she is swelling being left in the barn then you should get her out for the day. Standing around, the fluid and blood will pool in the legs and make them swell. Walking will help that from happening. Edema by the udder is also common.

Good luck
Kim

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 805
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 08:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare had edema real bad the last week, so bad it went from her udder to her chest!! and was 4 inches deep, if i set my hand in it and put slight pressure for 15 seconds and removed my hand my handprint remained...I spoke with my vet and was told this is normal in all horse to a degree, and this extreme is commoon in older or overweight mares (she was both), they said usually the mare foals within a week of the edema getting bad, mine foaled about 6 days later...so...sounds like a foal will be in your arms soon! watch the "milk" color...best indicater!!!

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 650
Posted on Thursday, June 29, 2006 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a few mares that swell like that, they are neither old nor over weight. The are fantastic milk producers and very large boned, well built mares. Our swelling to this degree has started up to six weeks before hand. The body has so much more fluid in it to begin with just due to being pg. that it makes more work on the heart.
Good luck
Keep a eye on them
Kim

K. Koehler
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your input. The edema report came from my wife and kids. When I got home it wasn't as bad as they reported. I put my mare out with her two gelding friends and any sign of it went away.

My mare is very well built. I always said she looked more like a gelding (which I liked).

While her udders have been large and hard for a few weeks now. Her teats are just finally being the last to fill out.

After checking her milk for about a week. I was warned against "milking" her from my vet when I called their office about the edema. Seems like everyone on this website and all over the internet is "milking" their mares and checking color/calcium.

Only thing I am waiting for is wax and for her to get that "day-of" grump. After enjoying her increased gentle nature for the last several months... I actually am looking forward to the evening I find her unhappy and wanting her space.

Being new at this I've decided that I should have taken every bit of advice on signs and doubled them. (i.e. when I thought she was loose in the tail - I should have doubled it. When I thought she was bagging up in the udders - double it. When I thought her belly was going to pop - double it. When I think I have waited in the camper too many night - DOUBLE IT!!!)

I am hoping for a foal over the long holiday weekend so I will have tons of time to work with the foal.

P.S. Oh yeah... I will be checking the milk...

K. Koehler
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, July 04, 2006 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UPDATE: FOAL BORN July 2nd....

Watched mare more closely on July 1st as teats finally filled out.

On the night of July 1st, the neighbors two properties over shot off fireworks for a couple hours. Arrived at barn in the middle of them. My mare was going crazy. Every time one went off she would circle the 15x20 stall and then stand swaying in front of the gate... and I mean out of control. She was drenched with sweat and I was incredibly scared this was going to have a bad ending. 11 months with no problem and now this!!!

Unable to get a halter on her because of fireworks I finally blocked pathways and let her run from her outside birthing stall into the barn where I was able to calm her, get a halter on her and finally lead her outside to hose her down at about 11:10PM (after the fireworks had stopped).

I brought in my other horses to calm her down but it took almost until 1:00am for her to really calm down.

At 4:30am I woke in our camper to see her swaying again in front of her stall gate. From inside the camper she looked sweaty again. When she pee'd I could see her hip muscle were wet with sweat and really tensed up. When she got into position again to pee just 1 minute later with no result I knew what was going on. I woke my daughter and asked her to confirm what I was seeing. We radioed my wife and in just minutes we (myself, my wife and our five kids) sprung into action.

By the time I got my shoes on and out to the stall, she had laid down and the "white bubble" was showing. Her water was either breaking or had just broke since all of it was leaking out as she laid down.

By 5:15am she had delivered.

Water Breaks 4:30am
Front Hooves
Muzzle Appears
Entire Head is Delivered
Delivered 5:16am
Dried Off
Stands 6:06am
Nurses 6:11am

Just Hours Old

Our only issue was every time my mare stood up she would sit and at the last minute roll with her butt towards a wall. Even with a 15x20 stall she seemed to always find the wall. With both front hooves and muzzle showing she attempted to push directly into a post with me "janking" on her alter trying to get her to stand up. She finally stood up, only to turn around and swing the foals front hooves into a poll.

She then laid down and delivered a beautiful paint colt.

Only other issue was the the mare delivered the placenta with the hips of the foal. When the mare stood after about 15 minutes, the placenta was stayed with the foal. I finally had to cut the ambilical cord myself (after calling the vet to ask what to do). At one point the foal was trying to stand but was tied to a water bucket filled with placenta via the ambilical cord.

Everything else went perfectly. Foal passed stool within 30 minutes and nursed with minutes of standing. Only other question was waiting for mare to pass a stool which took about 10 hours (after watching her poop every 15 minutes for the last few weeks!!))

Colt's barn name is Lightning (goes with my mustang called Thunder)

You can see all the pictures at our website:

http://www.echoridgefarm.net/foaling_pictures.html

(Message edited by Echo_Ridge_Farm on July 04, 2006)

(Message edited by Echo_Ridge_Farm on July 04, 2006)

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 658
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 12:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

some great photos !

You guys are neigbors ! We are in Northern Indiana. Nice to meet you and congrats on your foal

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 529
Posted on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K.K. - Congrasts on a beautiful foal and being able to witness the miracle! My husband, 10 yr old daughter and I were present during Catcher's birth. You are right, it is an amazing event and one my daughter was completely moved by (as were my husband and I).

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US