SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Perfect delivery

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Perfect delivery « Previous Next »

Fred H. Moyer
Weanling
Username: Fmoyer

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Qtr Horse mare had a perfect delivery this morning of a very healthy molly mule. She kept walking in tight little circles about 1145 pm last night so I took a chair down and sat with her. She would come over occassionally and stand next to me. Then she went and laid down 4 times and on the fourth time let out a groan and I could hear the fluid rushing out. I shined the flashlight off to the side and could see the baby's front feet and head were out but still in the sac. That was at 0124 am. I went up to the house to get my foaling kit and wake my wife up. By the time I got back down there, which was about 4 minutes she was already up and licking the baby. I helped dry her off and did some inital imprinting, but not the full routine like I wanted to, as it was dang dark and momma was a little restless. Isabo was up and nursing about 57 minutes after she was born. Momma kept moving a little so the baby would have better access to her teats. She is very attached and taking good care of the baby. I posted some photos on the PG Mare and Newborn foal section. She has already passed her first bowel movement.

Cindy Moore
Weanling
Username: Chorse_1998

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats!! It is a neat thing to watch - have seen 3 of my own!!! I have 4 more to go this year.
Again, congrats!!
Cindy Moore
}

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fred,

Congratulations! I am so glad you got to be there! The long waiting is over and now the fun begins!

Jan

Jenn
Breeding Stock
Username: Jenn

Post Number: 193
Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fred, I saw your pictures. She is adorable. You have every right to be proud.

Fred H. Moyer
Weanling

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks a bunch, she is just too cute! :-)

Pita
Weanling
Username: Pita

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

congrats how fun

Hannah Elizabeth Lough
Neonate
Username: 20hannah10

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just wandering... how did all of you know when your mares were so close to foaling. Did you just so happen to be in the barn? or did you camp out? I just don't want to miss my mares birth. lol maybe it's a dumb question

Fred H. Moyer
Weanling

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked her every evening, and then around midnight each night. Then I started getting up at daylight, which is 4:15 am. I would let the dog out and stumble down and check. The night I checked her she was very lovey dovey and restless so I pulled up a lawn chair and stayed. the longer I sat with her the more convinced I became she was going into labor. Finally at about 0120 she laid down and groaned and I heard fluid rushing out of her. She never waxed like you see in some books. And she had a single drop of milk on one teat about 2 weeks ago.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 506
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a barn camera. When she showed some of the traditional signs, I set up camp in front of the monitor (also known as MTV - Mare TV). In fact, I worked on my tax return for 2 solid hours! But to answer your question, if you don't get a list of the possible signs and watch for them...the odds are that you will miss the birth. Let me know if you need a list and I will post it from my "Blessed are the Broodmares" book which I highly reccomend you purchase if you don't already have it. It is full a great info and will give you something to do when you are on Mare Stare!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US