SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Milk coming out of nose

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Milk coming out of nose « Previous Next »

NL
Neonate
Username: Easykeeper

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a colt that is 4 days old and he started having milk come out of his nose after nursing. Is this a clef palate issue?

I asked two vets and various breeders and everyone seemed to have mixed opinions... some say to keep an eye on it, some say don't worry at all.

Any opinions from folks here?

I've never experienced this before and this is my 6th foal. Thanks!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10716
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds as though it may be. Note that manual palpation of the palate may not identify a cleft, while endoscopic evaluation may. Some clefts, if very small, may close sufficiently that there will not be a significant ongoing problem. Some don't. Surgery to repair tends to be quite expensive, so unless that is an option, evaluation and observation are probably your best route at the moment. I would have the evaluation performed (with endoscope) as that will give you a "base line" upon which to judge future improvements (or lack thereof).

Gynna Meiller
Breeding Stock
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 07:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If its something that just sarted then it may be that you mare is just a milk wagon and he is nursing to fast to swallow. Does he do it every time he nurses? I would have a vet out to make sure anyway. Here is hoping thats its just your mare producing an abudance of milk only..gynna

NL
Neonate
Username: Easykeeper

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry to report that I lost the colt this afternoon. He was nursing and knickering to me this morning at 9 am - perky and functional. By 12 (noon) he was refusing to get up, had a temp of 103 and never made it to the clinic.

Vet thinks pneumonia or might be something in his system that was very toxic or hit his immunity hard. I'm so sad, but glad he did not suffer. I'm thankful the mare is okay and hoping to breed again down the road. What a scary and sad day.

Daniel Crouse
Yearling
Username: Sneakers17

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NL im extremely sorry for your loss; words can't describe the sorrow I feel for you and your mare.

Im just throwing this out there and jos could verify or correct me but could it be jaundice or Isohemolytic icterus.

again im sorry

Faye Gallagher
Neonate
Username: Cazdan_arabians

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello NL
My heart goes out to you and especially the mare. I know they grieve I had the same thing happen. The problem with my foal was that he had bruised his throat badly when he got caught in a fence. The bruising apparently weakened the throat and allowed the milk to come back and get into its lungs. He literally drowned.
Faye

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 01:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NL,

I am so sorry for your loss. It is heartbreaking to have a much wanted foal and have things end this way. I lost a foal in April of this year. It was very hard to watch my mare grieve. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Jan

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 501
Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NL - what a tragic loss. I am so sorry.

True Colours Farm
Neonate
Username: Truecoloursfarm

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so sorry as well ... based on what you said I would bet it WAS a cleft palate foal and he was aspirating milk into his lungs as he was nursing, hence the pneumonia ...

I speak from experience, unfortunately ...

A few years back I had a cleft palate foal as well and we were contemplating surgery on him, but when we took him to Guelph to get him scoped (at 4 days of age) he had enough fluid in his lungs already that they felt he would succumb on the table even before they had a chance to correct the issue

Most if not all cleft palate foals do end up dying if not being euthanized. There is literally nothing you could have done for him ...

Big {{{HUGS}}}

kim tippy
Neonate
Username: Ktippy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

had a colt 4 days ago had colic on 3 day and today. yes it has had bowl movement and urined. Mare has been on senior feed since its birth,because of worms and someone elses neglect. It is a miracle this colt has lived as long as it has. Is the colic cause by the mare's too rich of feed and what can be done. Last bowl movement was medium to bright orange.

kim tippy
Neonate
Username: Ktippy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, June 30, 2006 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

had a colt 4 days ago had colic on 3 day and today. yes it has had bowl movement and urined. Mare has been on senior feed since its birth,because of worms and someone elses neglect. It is a miracle this colt has lived as long as it has. Is the colic cause by the mare's too rich of feed and what can be done. Last bowl movement was medium to bright orange.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US