SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Unusually thick placenta?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Unusually thick placenta? « Previous Next »

Becky Schulz
Neonate
Username: Becky

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a miniature mare that has foaled 5 times now and two of the 5 have had an unusual occurance. This last being this past Friday night. When she went into labor, I watched and waited as she pushed. What presented was a large red bubble instead of the clear sack. Thinking it was a red bag, I grabbed my scissors and tore through it. The foal was in the correct position and delivered normally.

However, the placenta had not detached from the mare and it was approx 15 - 30 minutes before it came out. This has happened twice with this same mare and it is not a red bag in my opinion. It's as though the placenta is thicker(?) than normal and contractions aren't pushing the foal through it. It just bulges instead of breaking open.

Has anyone else experienced this? This mare is not on fescue nor is there any fescue in the hay and she is the only mare I have that has had this condition.

Jan Owen
Yearling
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like it was very lucky that you were there to assist in the delivery. Congrats on the new foal. Do you routinely culture your mares? Perhaps there is an infection in the uterus? Just brainstorming...

jan

Becky Schulz
Neonate
Username: Becky

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, thanks for the reply. No, I don't routinely culture my mares, but that is something I will discuss with my vet in this case. I've been foaling out miniature mares since 1990, usually 5 -10 per year and this is the first mare I've ever experienced this with.

And yes, I'm wondering if I wasn't there, would that placenta tear or not? I hope I never find out!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Becky,
Thats lots of experience you have! Keep me posted on what the vet says. Did he examine the placenta? Was there anything that he found remarkable? Perhaps a culture on this one mare would help rule out infection. Maybe this is just how this mare is and you will have to be ever watchful when she is close to foaling. Enjoy your newest foal!

jan

anita kabat
Breeding Stock
Username: Akabat

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please Help, I have a mare that is about 365 days and she was pushing very hard last night she was wet all down her legs and around her rear, Now she has not layed down yet she is still having some discharge is this normal I went out to check on her last night due to one of my mares came up to the fence near the house and yelled out i thought maybe the pregnant one got out so i went up to check on her it was about 11:45p.m and i have went out to check on her every two hours or so and she has not foaled yet.

nancy vance
Weanling
Username: Ndv101

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you haven't already call the vet ASAP

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your description is strongly suggestive of a mare that is in labour but has a dystocia that is preventing the appearance of the foals legs and the ability to complete the foaling.

As Nancy has already said: get your vet out there immediately!! If that is the problem, you will be lucky to save the mare by now, never mind the foal which will undoubtedly already be dead.

Jennifer
Weanling
Username: Jennifer_d

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anita,

How is the Mare?

Michelle Lyons
Weanling
Username: Chelle

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh goodness yes how is your mare and did you get the vet out? Hope all is okay

anita kabat
Breeding Stock
Username: Akabat

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All is Well she is Not Pregnant Vet said he did not feel like she lost the foal he said everything felt normal on the inside. Her temp was good he said he thought she may have gotten into something that caused her to colic a little he said they did push sometimes when they colic she was does not have worms, but needs to lose weight i have got her on that omelene 200 and need cut back on it.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US