SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Read My Story 2 mini mares in foal

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Read My Story 2 mini mares in foal « Previous Next »

Jennifer Taylor
Neonate
Username: Taylor815

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have 2 mini mares supposedly in foal I bought them from a girl who's life is in turmoil after her hubby commited suicide. Anyways I bought 3 minis from her 1 who is 10 and pregnant , a 4 yr old who wasn't supposed to be pregnant but looks like it and the 6 month old filly from the 10 year old. The filly was supposedly weaned.. Not...she has been nursing on her momma the whole time. I separated them as soon as I realized she was still nursing. The 10 year old bagged up , leaked milk for 3 days , then shrunk back down. Her teats are still full and pointed and her stomach seems to have shrunk also. The 4 year old is huge in the tummy and a little swelling in front of the teats but the teats are still stuck up tight. My vet will not confirm the pregnancy on the minis because of rectal tears. Then the other day a have a quarter horse gelding (handsome boy he is) in the pasture next to the mares, well they were like to hookers on the street corner, raising tails, urinating, backing their butts up to the fence. I was like WHAT??? I have no actual dates on when the mares were bred. I was told middle of May the 10 year old was due and the 4 year old nobody has a clue but she was exposed to a stallion sometine after the girl's husbands death. I know this is like a soap opera. The vet won't do anything, the girl I bought them from moved. I have been watching for the signs, and nothing. My hubby thinks I'm losing it because I'm out there looking at udders and butt all night.... Well thanks for listening to me vent, hope to hear from ya with some insight. Just looking for some light at the end of my tunnel.

Megan A Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 110
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you can use pregscan on minnis, which should give you an idea if they are open or not but I'm not real familar with the technology and you would probably need to contact some mini breeder to find one calibrated for minis. Alternativly, you can do a blood test. Beta labs has one that I think alot of mini owner use that your vet can request, their web site is here
http://www.betlabs.com/
Minis have a high occurance of early embrionic death and soponatinous abortion, so they might just be hay bellies. People are always asking me when my 10 hand teasing stud is due. Are these type A or B minis? Type A minis have more problems foaling typicaly than type B so I would be a good idea to keep a close eye on them.
By the way almost everyone here has already "lost it" or is in route, so you’re in good company

(Message edited by FABmeg on May 11, 2006)

Jennifer Taylor
Neonate
Username: Taylor815

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Megan, there both type B. As far as keeping a eye on them, it never ends. The one maiden is huge , the other shrunk in the past couple days. Its bizarre but if you look at her from the side she bulging on the left. Thanks again for the input. Its greatly appreciated...

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US