SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare Overdue Need Help (first timer)

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Mare Overdue Need Help (first timer) « Previous Next »

Dee
Neonate
Username: Dee

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare was breed May 2nd of 2005 and I took her to the vet and he said that she was in foal. She was due on April 7th but, it is April 29th already and she still hasn't gave birth. I asked the vet last week why she hasn't gave birth and I also told him this is her first foal. He told me that first time horses can carry for a year but, May 2nd will be a year and she hasn't started making "bag" yet. The only thing she has done is gotten fat (looks like she is in foal). What is wrong! Can someone please help me I am getting worried.

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock
Username: Ryu2832

Post Number: 105
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some maidens don't bag up until just before or after they foal. You might talk to your vet about having some oxytocin around just in case she doesn't let down milk after foaling.

If you read some of the other posts sometimes and they go over well over a year. Keep in communication with your vet. They go when they are good and ready.

Good Luck!

Dee
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! I have only had one other foal and I bought her that way so I just have never had a mare go over the due date. Thanks!

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck!

Just keep an eye on her to make sure she isn't showing signs of distress (colic symptoms). Keep you vet informed. She should be fine! Let us know how she does.

kerry hauff
Neonate
Username: Khauff

Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi I am soh appy to have found this board... I am a first time at this and not really sure what I am doing. Anyway, my question... My mare is overdue.. I bought her about 3 months ago and from what the previous owner told me she was bread the middle of May 2005 I am going by May 25th as a breeding day the previous owner said she was bread before than but that is what I am going by. Anyway, She has been bagged up for about 5 weeks now swells badly during the night and than goes down during the day (edema I am assuming). The last couple of days when I feel her she eats like she is starving and literally grabs the food from my hands. She has been doing a lot of butt rubbing (what is this for?) on the fence and really does not want the other horse anywhere near her. Her mild is sticky but clear. I had her palpated by the vet 5 weeks ago and he said the foal was big but lungs needed about 4 more weeks like I said that was 5 weeks ago. What is the main thing I should be looking for here. I let her out during the day but put her inside at night and get up about midnight to check on her. I am really nervious and want this baby to be born.... Thanks for the help....

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if she was bred the middle of May , she's not 'overdue'. There is an article on the forum about Overdue Mares. A lot of mares are going longer this year, many going over a year. Has the mare foaled out before?

The rear rubbing and pressing is usually due to pressure from the foal.

When she gets close her bag will stay up, and the milk will go from clearish to nearly opaque white.

In at night is a good idea. My mare was very hungry for the couple weeks before she foaled.

Good luck with your mare!

kerry hauff
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Sharon... This will be her second foal... She is 9 years old. I think I am just so excited because the foal has bloodlines to the black stallion (El Mohktar) and I am praying everything goes okay.....

kerry hauff
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should state the bag is staying up is is mainly nipples that are swelling and getting rock hard during the night and by mid day they are back to normal.....

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good if she's foaled out before that helps a bunch.

Watch for that milk change. I usually checked right before bedtime.

Dee
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is Dee again. What should I be looking for in my mare?
What my mare is acting like: She is rubbing her butt. I haven't seen this but I know she has because she has her hair pulled out in the back of her tail. She is very food agressive and has never usally been this way. She always wants love and hangs close to me. She looks huge (over hangs on both sides when looking face on). The only thing she really hasn't done was get bag but, her bag is a little saggy(doesn't have milk though)and this is day 364.

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mares usually get pretty hungry towards the end of the pregnancy.

Can you tell if she has 'dropped' yet? Usually a week or two before foaling the big round belly 'drops' and most of the sticking out is in the lower third of the belly. (Hard to explain)

After the mare drops you are looking for the 'V'. When looking at the mare from the side, there will be a definate sagging behind the ribcage, and from behind the sticking out will be almost gone. The 'V' along with relaxation and sinking of the croup muscles and tail means you are coming down the home stretch. Changes in Maidens can be hard to see because everything isn't stretched out yet.

The best indicator is the milk change, once it changes you'll know.

Good luck!

kerry hauff
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare definately has the v shape. I noticed this morning when I put them out she went to the opposite side of the field than the other horse whish is very unusual for her normally stick pretty close together but they are at opposite sides this morning. Her milk is still clear though this morning...

Hannah MacDonald
Neonate
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so confused by looking at my mare every day I really cant tell the difference now! However today her teats no longer discharge clear fluid but it has turned that lovely white/opaque colour I have been waiting for!! Fingers crossed it will be tonight.....seems an awfully long time ago that she went off to stud now!!!

Dee
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare kind of has the "v" shape but it is not that clear to see I think she has her baby sucked up under her ribs. I have heard that some mares can go up to 370 days. I hope not, I guess I will just have to wait a little longer than planed. I hate waiting though.

Dee
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question: Does all peg. mares have a "v" shape before they?
(what about there first time foaling)!

Hannah MacDonald
Neonate
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 03:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Dee

My mare didnt show such a dramatic V shape (first timer) but managed to produce a lovely bay colt last night. Mum and baby doing really well and he's already trying to canter round the stable!

Sharon Malmberg
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 112
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maidens are tighter, so they don't sag as much. It will be harder to see.

My mare Ruby carries high still after three, and didn't get a dramatic 'V' but it was still there. You can also look for asymetry on the mares sides. When the foal is moving into position, one side will protrude a more than the other.

I know it's hard to wait. I would look at Ruby and think there was no way she could possibly look more pregnant!

Keep checking for the milk change, that is the best way to tell when they are very close.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 438
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dee - here is a pic of my maiden 6 hours before she delivered. I could really see the differnce, but it was not dramatic like some mares get. http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/339dayssideview.jpg

kerry hauff
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare just looks miserable I feel so sorry for her.. We are at 344 days now and counting.....

kerry hauff
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed last night on my Mare that her vaginal area is really getting long and opening up, she is getting really red inside also and really starting to rubb her butt more on things. Hopefully her mild will turn and she will foal by this weekend.. The lady I bought her from called the other day and was really surprised that she had not foaled yet also. she has the stallion that she was bred to......

Dee
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is almost like yours Kathee!

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 447
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dee- in pregnancy shape or in conformation and color? I couldn't find a pic on the board for her.

Dee
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 02:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In pregnancy shape.My mare is Sorrel and she is roaning out. I will try to get a pic up!

kerry hauff
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I think my mare is getting closer. Her milk is now yellow and very sticky and her valva is swollen and a medium pink. I noticed last night that she has dropped somemore also... My sister has a mare that is pg and due also. She called me last night to tell me that her mare started bagging up I just laughed and said mine has been bagged up for 6 wks now. She is starting to get very stubborn though last night when I was feeding her she laid her ears back on me twice so we are starting to get protective about things. I am hoping that by this weekend I have a baby.....

kerry hauff
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Checked my mare this morning and her milk is now yellowish white but I am not noticing any other changes.. I am so hoping she has it by this weekend.

anita kabat
Breeding Stock
Username: Akabat

Post Number: 157
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 02:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kerry- It could very well be this weekend, my mare was yellow looking some call it a amber color sticky yes The day i noticed the white she foaled that night. I have heard others say they have went longer. THe day she foaled her stools were like cow patties and her milk was white.

kerry hauff
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anita - I sure hope she goes this weekend. She is at 357 days today.. I noticed last night and this morning that she is staying away from all the other animals and just staying by herself so hopefully. I am really trying to be patient but it is really hard....

anita kabat
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 158
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hang in there girl, also watch for pawing at the ground mine rolled a few times and pawed at the ground a bit and paced .

kerry hauff
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well no baby yet. I tend to get excited over every little change and think oh this might be it. I noticed last night that her butt has dropped some more, and this morning her bagg is so big and so tight there is no possible way it can get any bigger. My sister called me this morning and said her mare foaled at 3:30 last night. I was so mad... My mare was breed before hers. Oh well mine will go someday.... Hopefully....

Christi
Neonate
Username: Northwindpratt

Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Quarter Horse mare, Cody, last year dripped milk for 5 days after being waxed for 3 before she foaled. Those were some sleepless nights. She kept doing the positioning, half-roll all those nights too. This year she waxed for 2, dripped a little bit on day 3, and had a filly in the early morning hours. Our other AQHA mare showed no sign at all before she dropped her filly. She was about half bagged and surprize!

anita kabat
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kerry- how are things going milk yet?

kerry hauff
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 01:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare had a little filly yesterday at 8:15pm. She is a beautiful all black with one little white star on her head. My mare started leaking milk at 7pm during feeding and was laying down at 7:45 we had no problems at all and she is a wonderful mother. I will post pictures sometime this week when I get a chance. I just can't believe how fast she went she was eating up until she laid down....

kerry hauff
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a picture of my baby. I hope I did this right.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h188/khauff/starlight005.jpg

Dee
Weanling

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 08:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no baby yet but, I talked to my vet and he said to wait till the end of the month. I hope something happens soon. I know it is just a waiting game though.

Dee
Weanling

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is pics of her. Her name is Suzie
these pics were taken a while ago.
http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j11/AmandaSchutter/
its under my daughters name (Amanda Schutter)

Daniel Crouse
Weanling
Username: Sneakers17

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DEE whats the password?

Dee
Weanling

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 03:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

amanda is the password.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 462
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dee- she is a pretty girl. Is she a maiden? Does she have the other preg signs like an udder, etc?

P.S. Here is a tip, if you go into your photobucket profile and mark the box that says "share pictures" then people can see the pics without a password. When you give out the password, it gives us full access to editing including deleting. My friend had all her pics deleted that way.

Dee
Weanling

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes she is a maiden. She has been getting very round but, she hasn't dropped. Some days she looks very preg. but, then some days she doesn't.
Her udder hasn't really done anything in the milk production, she has gotten somewhat saggy around the udder (the udder itself). She does have big glands just in front of the udder itself. Do you think that if she is preg. that she is holding the baby very high? The vet told me he will preg. check her at the end of the month(May).
Thanks for the tip!

Kristen
Neonate
Username: Sgtrebelk

Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone, I have been reading and learing alot from everyone and wanted to say thank you. I also have a maiden mare who is over do. May 19th she is at 400 days. I think she is going for the record of 417 days although I hope she doen't make me wait that long. I was wondering if anyone else has had to wait this long befor?

Dee
Weanling

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 05:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I have been waiting for about 4 years on suzie! Suzie is a maiden mare and everytime I breed her it comes out she doesn't take but, this year i took her to the vet and the vet said she is pregent. This time she looks like she is but, she is at a kind of stand still! Anyways my mare Suzie was due on April the 7th! This is her 383rd day. As I said at the top of this message though I asked the vet and the vet siad on maiden mares they can go longer then expected.

Jennie Hollis
Neonate
Username: Jphollis

Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kristen and Dee, I think the 3 of us should form some kind of support club. I, too, have a maiden mare that is going way over. She was bred on May 4 (live cover)is now on day 384 and still looks as though she has a way to go. I had the vet check her last night and he felt a nose and 2 legs by rectal exam. He says the foal was active and not overly large and that he felt that it could be another week to week-and-a-half. She did not eat all her grain on Sunday evening so my husband and I stayed up all night watching her. It was a false alarm. Has anyone out there had foals that go this long and if so are they healthy. I have read some pretty disturbing stuff about long term foals and retarded fetal growth (hypothyroidism and contracted limbs)and I'm wondering how all this is going to turn out.

destiny b
Neonate
Username: Destiny_b

Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dee suzie is very pretty. good luck with your mare and foal hopfull!!! keep us posted!

Dee
Yearling

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! I be sure to keep everyone posted.

Jennie Hollis
Neonate

Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All,
Kristen and Dee, I was wondering if your mares ever foaled??? Mine finally did at day 386. No record but certainly long enough!!! Delivery was normal except the placenta had detached and came out with the foal and the mare had very little milk. The foal has had a rocky first week and required a plasma tranfusion but seems to be holding his own now.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 12:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennie,
Congratulations on your foal making it. What a way to start out. Was it a colt or filly? color? Come on we want the details! You are fortunate, I lost a foal this year because the placenta detached early and no one was there to assist. Post delivery we checked my mare and she had a uterine infection. She has since been treated.
Hopefully the rest of the growing up will go on uneventful!

Jan

Dee
Yearling

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 01:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No but I still have some hope I have to make a app. at the vets this month so, I will let you all know then. The app. will be soon hopefuly!

Kristen
Neonate
Username: Sgtrebelk

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 07:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Jennie Hollis Sorry I haven't been on this site to much any more. I lost my foal on the 25th. I'm going to try and rebreed my mare for next year. I hope all goes well with you and your horse.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 496
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristen - so sorry for you loss. Did you post somewhere what happened? I can't imagine the hurt. Again, so sorry.

Jennie Hollis
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all
Jan: Thanks for the well wishes. The foal was a bay colt with 2 white socks. He's half TB and half Dutch Warmblood and real leggy with a nice shoulder and neck. He still has a slight temperature and is on antibiotics but his last bloodwork shows he has no major infection so I've still got my fingers crossed.
Kristen: I am so sorry about your foal. I know you waited such a long time and that did not make your loss any easier. My heart goes out to you.
Dee: Keep us posted on your mare and good luck .

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 01:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kristen,
I am so sorry. It really sucks. It is kind of scary to under go the whole process again. I don't know the terrible details but in my case I had my mare cultured and a cytology performed. She had an infection. She has been treated and I am taking the plunge again. Hope is always optimistic. I have learned much from this terrible experience and I am picking up the "package" tomorrow at the airport and we are AIing Saturday and Sunday. As you look toward the future my Hope is that you will try again!
Jan

Dee
Yearling

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

******UPDATE******
I am so upset!
About 2 weeks ago I went to the vet with Suzie my mare, and had her checked. The vet said now that he doesn't even know if she is preg. any more. So he checks her and said she must have lost the foal becuase he can't feel anything. Then he asked me if I seen any sign of a problem with her in the past 3 weeks and I say no. Well he confirms that she is no longer preg., but he also says that about 2 months ago when he vet checked my mare he wasn't sure she was preg. anymore than. I got so mad at that time becuase 2 months ago he said my mare was preg. and that he was for sure. Well at that time I just took her home, it was so hard not to just sit down and cry. I am still upset and the worst part about it is I have been trying for 4 years to get this mare preg., and I know she is 100% sound to breed becuase I have had her checked by 2 different vets. I guess the only thing I can do know is to start back at the drawing broad.}

I tried to post before this but I had alot going on and than the board was down!

keysfins
Neonate
Username: Keysfins

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, for all those of you with long gestations, how are things progressing? Or have you finally had an arrival?? We are on day 356 on the mare who is carrying my foal (ET). Showing progress, but as a newbie, I've been sleeping in the barn since before her due date. Mare owner says all is progressing, and mare just wants me to see every change that occurs prior to foaling.
Today she had clear yellow fluid from a very nice size bag.
Any encouragement welcome!

Beth Nesbitt
Weanling
Username: Ponygirl

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This seems to be the year for long gestations. Look for her milk to change to white. My mare is still pregnant, but not overdue. This too will end.

margaret conner
Neonate
Username: Sexyandcool9

Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I HAVE A PAINT QUARTER HORSE THAT IS I HOPE DUE ANYTIME NOW AND I HAVE A QUESTION.HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME.HER BUTT IS LIKE JELLY AND TITS ARE SMALL. IM KINDA DON'T WANT TO CHECK HER TO SEE WHAT COLOR MILK IS BECAUSE I HEARD SHE COULD SET UP INFECTION FROM CHECKING MILK IS THIS TRUE. THANK YOU

Gynna Meiller
Breeding Stock
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 150
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 04:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have never had a problem with giving a mare an infection by checking her milk, just clean you hands first. Remember that some mares, especialy maidens, may not bag up until just before or right after foaling either.
Aslo check inside her vulva. Its usualy pink, but I have found that a few hours before foaling it will turn red due to the small capularies rupturing from the internal pressure. You may also see a little bit of blood pooling or driping in the bedding as well.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 997
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 03:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The idea that one can cause an infection by checking milk comes from cattle that have a different sphincter and structure on the nipple than a horse, and which it can be an issue for. With the mare though it is not a problem.

maxine clough
Neonate
Username: Kiaraapple

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 05:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jos i am new to breeding i have a 5 year old mare coloured part bred arab, which idecided to put in foal to a striaght egptian stallion.

she was coverd 3 times, and very willing on each occassion. i thought about having her scanned before bringing her back but changed my mind. I had her brought into season.
so left her her there for a month then brought her home, i then changed my mind on the scanning so arranged for the vet to come and scan her, by this time she would have been approx 42 days. however he was uable to find her uterus, he said she had taken it up front ! i was not concerned that he could not find it because she had been scaned to ensure she was fine for breeding and it was there then.

so he decided to take blood to try and confirm the pregnacy-(not sure where you are from jos)- i was told that my results would be back in 7 10 days depending on how busy the lab was well to my amazment they were back in 72 hours a (record for none emergency blood work) they were negative. but i still felt that she was in foal i have had this mare since she was 4 months old i know what she is thinking before she does; she had changed, and so did her comformation over these months i have seen the foal kicking, she is now at 376 days and the clear fluid from her teats today changed to amber she is open but the colour inside is only slightly darker than pink, today she has been very restless pacing sweating in patches laying down then getting striaght back up again she is not quite sure what do with herself, it was at the end of the day i tested her teats as i always test them at tea time so the colour change occurred since yesterday. any idea how much longer before the milk turns milkly coloured

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 999
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Visual observation of the "foal kicking" is not overly reliable. It is surprising how many times gut movements can be mistaken for a "foal".

Having said that, I would have grave concerns with a veterinarian performing an ultrasound check for pregnancy at 42 wherein he was unable to find the uterus. The uterus does not go cranial and out of reach until about 90 days of pregnancy or so... :-(

Then to compound my concern, the blood test that is used at that point should be checking for eCG, but testing at 42 days is at the early end of the range - especially if the exact date of ovulation was unknown.

If you really want to know, you might want to have her palpated - but you might want to use a different vet from the one you used before... :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US