SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Foal not suckling

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Foal not suckling « Previous Next »

jayne malkin
Neonate
Username: Jayne

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my 5yr old shire mare foaled 3 days ago no problems with the birth .she was 3 wks over ,delivered a strong colt foal who has not suckled ,vet has given plasma and tubed him for feeding, he is not a dummy foal as he has a sucking reflex.we have tried everything to get him to suckle the mare but no luck so far . any suggestions please

Virginia Tache
Nursing Foal
Username: Painted_acres_farm

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 01:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya Im having the same problem , he isnt latching properly on mom :-( he will suck out of a syringe though , very strange ? any suggestions ?

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 572
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes the mares udder is too full and the foal can not latch on properly, you may have to milk the mare out a bit in order to get the foal to latch on correctly.

jayne malkin
Neonate
Username: Jayne

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we have a 3 year old shire stallion who shows all the normal interest in mares but will not mount,any one got any suggestions

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 753
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 02:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jayne and Virginia: Congrats on those strong foals!

I had a dummy foal, and he did have a sucking reflex. There are a lot of other sumptoms possible with those little guys. It took him two or three days to really get it together.

I suggest you keep at it with the foals, several times a day. You might even try putting the tip of the syringe (or bottle) on the end of mama's teat, when they are really hungry and slowly removing the syringe/nipple as he begins to grasp the teat. Just an idea.

Also, you can milk mare a little, rub some of the milk on her teat and even let the foal suck your finger, dragging their mouth to the teat at the same time. That is what I did with my foal and also used that when teaching calves to drink from a bucket. Do the foals know how to position themselves so they can reach teat? If that is the problem, then obviously correcting them would go a long way in helping.

Good luck to you both. I know how worrisome it can be. Hopefully, someone else will have another idea, or the little guys will catch on soon! Please keep us posted.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 183
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 08:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jayne and Virginia

They may not be full fledged dummy foals, but it sounds like a mild case. We would have already have given them IV DMSO. You may want to suggest it to your vets if he still isn't nursing. Also how is the output from the other end? A few stuck meconium balls can make them do some weird things.

Kim Peavy/Blk&White Pinto Colt 6/16
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 289
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmm...looks like jayne and virginia's posts are from 2006? weird....

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't think the DMSO will help much know! Good eyes Kim!!!!

Kim Peavy/Blk&White Pinto Colt 6/16
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 292
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I was losing my mind as I went back to the top to see what the thread was about...I laughed...those babies are what...getting ridden almost by now LOL...however, they could certainly try some DMSO...you never know...(giggling)....

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock
Username: Dystocia

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnny-on-the-spot there dude.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 757
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa! How did that happen? No wonder they are not responding to our posts! And I thought it odd that two would be born with a day of each other this late in the season, although I suppose it happens.

Good catch, Kim! So no, I suppose intervention at this point is pretty much useless! LOL.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 07:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim

Want to tell them how you hurt your ankle, Genius? I don't think you can make fun of me for a while.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 995
Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, all of the sudden, Tim disappears.....
C'mon Tim, we really want to know! LOL

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't want to brag about my heroic actions.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 761
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 01:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enquiring minds want to know, Tim. Sounds like a good one and you'd probably want to tell it, rather than have Jonathan tell it, huh? HeHeHe!

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 141
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 02:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright

It was part of a kitchen renovation project gone wrong. I was applying the final coat of polyurethane to my newly installed, freshly sanded white oak floor. Roughly 90% of the floor was done and I just had a couple more passes to go, everything was going smoothly, then all of the sudden...STEP!!!!!!!!.....S!!T!!!!!!

As my right foot rolled off the side of the step, I noticed the adjoining living room floor approaching at an alarming rate and remember thinking..."this is really gonna suck". Shortly after impact, I tried to gather myself. "Where was the poly-applicator" I thought to myself, good, I'm laying on it ( more about that later). I looked up to see a half-gallon of polyurethane oozing down 2 steps and on to the living room carpet. I quickly sprang to my feet to stop the river of polyurethane and realized I was in trouble, only one foot was working, the other one was quickly filling up any void left in it's shoe.

I managed to spread out the poly good enough while calling my wife who was about 5 minutes away to take me to the ER. Bone chip in one of the small bones in the ankle, and a small fracture in the Fibula.

After my ER experience, my wife an I are sitting on the back patio, and she starts laughing uncontrollably and I was buzzing pretty good from the painkillers, so I started laughing too. When she settled down, I asked why she was laughing so hard, she said " we purposely bought a house with very few steps so that when we get older, they won't be an issue, but you STILL managed to fall down the only 2 steps in the whole house!!!" ha.....ha........I'm going to the bathroom, then take a nap. I hobble to the restroom and try to prepare for relief,....... uhhh...... we have a problem........ Remember the poly applicator I was laying on??? it was full of poly and consequently, the right, backside of my pants was soaked-through with poly, Dried polyurethane, dried, stuck-to-the-hair-and-skin polyurethane.

So after my half-assed butt-waxing, I realized I had enough fun for one day.

I go back next wed. for a 3rd set of x-rays, hopefully everything will be on the mend.

(Message edited by dystocia on October 02, 2008)

Linda Bauer --Rebel due 4/3/09
Breeding Stock
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim good thing you already had the painkillers in ya before that wax job.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 831
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG! That is about the funniest thing I've heard! Polyurethane is much like super glue when it dries...I'm surprised you even have a butt left! LOL! Wait till that hair starts growing back...it'll itch BAD!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 998
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim, I laugh and cry on your behalf! LOL That's a great story! (I am both proud and ashamed of you for telling it though! ) LOL!!!!!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 837
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana: I'll bet he never asks his wife to bikini wax again! ROFL!

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, October 02, 2008 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats my super coordinated boss!!! Can't ever polyurethane a floor with out trying to kill himself.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 763
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 06:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Tim, you're around over a hundred LABORING mares, who sometimes require you to go into "dark places with gloves on," administer all kinds of stuff and just generally bug them to death when all they want is for you and everyone else to leave them alone-and not one scrape? So I guess the insurance companies have it right-most accidents do happen at home." LOL.

I do feel for your painl. OUCH! However, what your wife said is hysterical! "...the only two steps in the whole house!" You are a very brave man to have told this story.

But, I would love to see the doctor's face when you tell them about the butt waxing! Believe me, as one who was once in the medical field, it will be a story that will stay around for many years to keep bored staff laughing, on those slow nights.

So, you have done a great service to the community. You ought to be proud of your "heroic," sacrifice for the sake of comic relief!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 851
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 03:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim: It is with great pleasure and my sincere desire to help you out as much as you have helped all of us out. I bring to you this guide to ease your pain and discomfort. Friends are friends, but buddies just can't be beat when it comes to being thoughtful and considerate of your poor condition that has occurred recently in the past. If I can be of further help or assistance, PLEASE let me know and I'm sure that I could come up with some more helpful solutions.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6254330368208047131&ei=VGrmSJWPIIqK_QHJ1 YX4Dw&q=tripping+steps&vt=lf

Bonny
Breeding Stock
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 581
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMGOSH!That has to be a classic! Sorry to get a chuckle at your expense....but thats great!

Bobbi, your so helpful! What a great friend!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 859
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bonny! I AM a great friend. Think Tim will still talk to me after that?!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And since I'm such a good friend (and bobbi's chicken)...here's one on proper technique for waxing! LOL Enjoy!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvdQh64SC2o&feature=related

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 774
Posted on Friday, October 03, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

POOR TIM! All this funning at his expense and pain. I truly do feel for you Tim. But you must tell us, was the waxing quick, or was it done, square inch by sguare inch?

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 142
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj

There was a sense of urgency about the whole process, most painkillers have a mild diruetic effect.

Bobbi

"finish strong"....classic!!!!!

And, no, there will be no more waxing for EITHER of us, although I do have a strong urge now to exfoliate and get a pedicure.

(Message edited by dystocia on October 04, 2008)

Bonny
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 610
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, Tim, this gives a whole new perspective on smooth as a babys butt.....

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 778
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I have a coupon I can send ya, Tim. LOL

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 782
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way Bobbi and Diane, I should mention that you had me rolling out of my chair! Especially the clip on how to walk down steps. Good grief. How did you two even think to look that us?

In all seriousness Tim, Now that I've stopped laughing, I hope your pain is decreasing and you'll have a better than average recovery.

Cheyenne Queen
Yearling
Username: Bunnygirl

Post Number: 73
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG Tim I'm so sorry about your foot i know how it is to have a bum foot as i had three bones in my foot broken by a horse! It really sucks, right?!!

Bobbi, Diane, you guys are so funny!

Tahra Sky 3/14
Breeding Stock
Username: Tahra

Post Number: 186
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't they say laughter is the best medicine? I think everyone has helped speed Tim's recovery. Of course he may fall of the char from so much laughing that we may put him back a few weeks. Maybe we need to put a "CAUTION" at the beginning of this thread.

Another note: this thread feels like some sort of a secret club. The title has nothing to do with the topic. I sometimes forget what topic to look for.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tim and others, we've been discovered....need to move to a different thread....
CODE NAME: oh....can't tell you in front of Tahra...shhh!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 783
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, .

Tahra, no worries. We don't know what title we're under either!

Tahra Sky 3/14
Breeding Stock
Username: Tahra

Post Number: 187
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 01:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Diana, don't make me pout. I have been following this from the beginning it was just that my brain finally caught up to the rest of me and I decided to post. All my vet courses are keeping me up at night. I come to this site to give me some humor. If I don't watch out I may be the next one with the injury. I fell of my chair when Tim told his story. I was laughing so hard I got another 2hrs in. (don't know if it was a good thing as the next day I was really dragging) Keep it coming!!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 862
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tahra and Everyone: Hahaha...what thread is this?!?! Oh, that's right, its the "Razz the Foal Watch Experts" thread! I'm glad that we are making Tahra's "education process" bearable! Just make sure you keep that sense of humor with you when you go into practice. Goodness you'll need it!

Tim: I LOVED the "strong finish"...I liked the step by step process and the comment of "pretty simple to do if you just follow these easy steps"...(took me forever, thank goodness I was bored, to find one that had just a couple of steps and lo & behold, a tutorial...who'd have thunk that some kid would bless me in my search for sick, sick humor!)

Diana: My cape cruisader partner in crime...you ARE braver than I! I had found some of those lovely tutorials as well but I was too chicken to actually post those up! You are now the Queen!

Cj: You KNOW that they'll be talking about Tim's predicament for awhile at the ole ER! Hahaha! I wonder, was it some Big Bertha who just walked in a rrriiipppped it off, did it sound like velcro, did they put bumm balm on it afterwards? Inquiring minds just wanna know!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 865
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since this is the board that is "off topic" I'm sticking this post here.

To all my fun friends, and I'm sorry to rain on the parade of jokes (we can still joke around, its what keeps moments like this tolerable), I'm asking that you all keep me in your thoughts today. It is with great sadness that I may have to say goodbye to my beloved Blossom tonight (GiMooseraffe's mom). I am meeting the vet out again this afternoon to see if there is anything that we can do to try and salvage her. She has a serious leg injury. You'll have to excuse me if I don't want to go into great detail as we're still in some serious conversation about options, if any, are available. Currently she is in a pressure cast and has stopped eating and drinking. Since she was already stressed and underweight, developed mastitis and aborted. It just doesn't seem fair that in a simple gallop across a field that she would happen to step wrong and have bad luck strike her once more. She is going downhill quickly and its not looking good. I haven't been on here all weekend as I've spent a great deal of time keeping her company and comforting her. I brought back the Moose and put him in with her as of yesterday. He is keeping her quiet and content for his company. He, of course, has weaned successfully but I felt it only right to give her this time with him. Let's just hope that the three vet consult doesn't come back as bad as I suspect it will.

Do you know how to tell if you have a great team of veterinarians??? When they will drop everything they are doing on their time off, load up their kids, and all come out to join in to lend a hand, AND not charge an emergency call. Of course, it is pretty wonderful when two of the three are married to each other! You get two heads for the price of one! I'm really lucky!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi you are definately in my thoughts and prayers. It doesnt seam fair that all this should happen to one poor girl all so suddenly. Please keep us posted as you are able I wouldnt mind you starting your own thread for this after all she was pregnant and we all want to stay informed.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Bobbi, I feel for you. This is just not right at all. Poor Blossom, this is terrible. I hope everything turns out ok. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi~You are in my thoughts and prayers this is one of the hardest parts of being a caretaker of our beloved equines. I pray that you have clarity as you make your decisions. Big hug and squeeze.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi

I think I can speak for Tim also in saying you will be in our thoughts. We both know how precious all of your animals are to you.

Bonny
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 631
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Bobbi. I am also very sorry. I am keeping you in my prayers as well as Blossom in hopes of a solution . Please keep us informed. Hugs to you and Blossom.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 791
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, I am so sad to hear of Blossom's condition. Poor girl. And you have been through so much with her lately, and she was doing so well-now this.

I praise you for putting in Moose with his mama. You are a kind and loving horsewoman. That simple act says a lot about who you are.

I'm rooting for Blossom. And I agree with Jennie, about starting a new thread. It seems appropriate. She is one of your breeding mares, after all. A lot of threads have been started on less relevance; (of course, not by any I've posted) haha!

I'm sending healing throughts your way Bobbi. Please keep us updated as you are able.

Judy Dosher
Weanling
Username: Mom2kpbaa

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I'm new to the thread but I am so saddened by what you must be going thru. I will say a prayer for you and Blossom.

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh geeze Bobbi.....

I truely dreaded reading your post. You most definately have my sympathy.

I am confident, however, that whatever options are or are not available at this time, you will make the right decisions. I have come to know you as a wonderful, compassionate steward of these animals.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 134
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, so very sorry. You and Bloosm are in my thoughts and praying for a good outcome.

Marilyn Lemke - Asia born 7-11-08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1818
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 07:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is truly sad news Bobby... I wish I was there to give you a hug, but I'm with you in spirit. I know you love your animals and you'll do what's best for her welfare. I'm so sorry...

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 884
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again to you all!

Tim: Hope you're healing yourself there!

Some friends once posted on here that this part just never gets any easier...is it ok to say that I no longer want to be in control?!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 888
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a more humorous note: Dr Chris played a terrible practical joke on Shannon, his vet tech yesterday. He pulled up to the cabin and told her that she needed to check out our exotics that we have in the pen. She walked over and said, "OMG! They have hippos in their pond!" He was grinning and saying, "Yep, isn't that something that Mark & Bobbi have hippos!" She was just all over herself in awe...until Betty & Cora raised their heads up from their water nap...and then it was heard, "Those aren't hippos! Those are the biggest hogs I have ever seen in my life!" It was pretty funny. I never realized that my big ole sows look like hippos when they're mudding around. Dr. Chris said his two-year old asked him that last week when they left the farm..."Dad, how come those lady's hippos aren't at the zoo?" He thought it would be pretty funny to freak out his staff!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 1312
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi Thaty is pretty funny bout the hippos l0l
Yes it is ok to not want to be in control anymore I understand the feeling well. 2 yrs almost to the day I had to make the call on my best friend of 13yrs sometimes I still wonder if it really had to be done but deep down I know it was the invetable. However you are in control and you will be until the end wether it be good or bad. I am thankful that you have an awsome team of vets to help you make the best desicion. Prayers are with you and Blossom God Bless.

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 01:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, a friend of mine posted something last year that had a very positive impact on me. I think you'll recognize it.........

This is certainly when the frustration kicks in. There is so much to be learned in the tragedies we suffer; not because there is some sort of "miracle" cure out there, but because we learn about ourselves and the tenacity that these horses and humans have to strive to achieve the possible in sometimes an impossible set of circumstances. We tend to think of these magnificant and large powerful creatures as hearty when in fact, they are one of the most delicate of nature's four legged animals. They are so "handicapped" in the world with their delicate digestive systems, their massive weight supported on leg bones that defy even logic on how this possible, their "flight" reaction that only escalates during stress and turmoil that usually results in further injury or distress, and their inability to withstand the shock of injury itself, makes for heartache that is bound to occur the more years you experience horsedom.

It is in the joy of the successes that keeps us going! And we remember those who have touched our lives with the commitment and bravery that only we know that made them one of the greats!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 890
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 09:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim: Thank you my friend.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim great post, Bobbi I'm still here pulling for ya.

Marilyn Lemke - Asia born 7-11-08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim, that gave me goosebumps. I love that post!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim, that was wonderful of you. You're so very thougthful and helpful in Bobbi's time of need....and
Bobbi, I remember you writing that, it was amazing then as it is now.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 895
Posted on Wednesday, October 08, 2008 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana: Tim did good sending me my own post didn't he?! He has an uncanny knack for knowing what I needed to hear.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 809
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Tim and Bobbi-I've never heard it said better. When Tim posted it, I remembered it immediately. I didn't want to respond until Bobbi did, and I guess others felt the same way.

Funny how one seems to be able to get a sense of another's character, even online. There are some super folks here.

Bobbi, you've helped so many of us, it is our turn now. Hope things are better. In the meantime, try to take care of yourself too. Thoughts are with you.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US