SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Prolapsed vagina (one one side) on 3 day old foal ...

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Prolapsed vagina (one one side) on 3 day old foal ... « Previous Next »

True Colours Farm
Neonate
Username: Truecoloursfarm

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 08:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine is panicking. Her 3 day old foal has a prolapsed vagina on one side only.

The vet who came to see her and has a large repro practice in his clinic, said that this is the 2nd one he has seen in his life (and he has been in practice for 25+ years), he pushed it back in, the foal is on antibiotics and he recommended icing it several times per day to get the swelling down, putting an antibiotic cream on it, give her probiotics and yogurt to have everything flow as smoothly as possible and watch and see ... he said if it was older, they might be able to staple it, but it wasnt recommended in a 3 day old ..

The foal has no temperature and is perky and bright and eating well.

He felt that either she strained to pass something (but what??? as the milk is coming in now and she has the mustard poops and is on the verge of diarreah anyhow) or - as she was nursing, if she was being rough, he said the mare may have reached around and bitten her on the lips of the vulva and pulled hard enough to prolapse the vagina on her on the one side only.

Has anyone had this happen before? Treatment? Prognosis? Complications? Anything I need to tell her to watch for or question?

Any/all suggestions would be MOST appreciated that I can pass on to her!

Thanks everyone ...

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10575
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 01:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With respect to your vet, are they absolutely sure it's a prolapse of the vagina? With such a prolapse the organs cranial to the vagina would have had to moved - i.e. the uterus - which would be unlikely. If the mare had bitten the foal, a hematoma would be possible. Or another possibility that springs to mind would be a prolapse of the bladder.

Photos?

True Colours Farm
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spoke with them again this morning and the vet said that it is not an absolute prolapse as one would see with a uterus, lets say, but the mecona of the vagina is what is protruding from the anal area, probably from trauma of some description ...

Does that make more sense?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10576
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummm... Not really :-)

I'm guessing he meant "mucosa"? But why would that be protruding from the anal area?

It sounds more and more like a hematoma - quite possibly as a result of the mare nipping that region.

If you can get a good photo, it would help! If you send it to me, I can post it here for everyone to see.

Laura
Weanling
Username: Horssports

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think my filly is experiencing something similar. Although, my vet hasn't been out to see it yet. We have spoken on the phone.

One side of the filly's vulva is swollen and sticking out and looks very red.

After describing it to my vet and taking the kids temp., my vet thinks it is just swollen due to the mare being on foal heat right now.

He told me to keep the baby's butt cleaned up and put some vaseline on it to keep the vulva moist and to keep her butt from being irritated by the foal heat diarrea.

The swelling has gone down some today. The kid is nursing well and feeling frisky as ever.

My vet told me to call if there are any changes and he'll be right out.

True Colours Farm
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos - it was the mucosa - sorry!

And yesterday it had gone down a LOT!

They are putting Panalog ointment on it and icing it and the swelling has gone down and as it is doing so it is shrinking and retreating back inside

So perhaps it was simply a hematoma from ??? whatever trauma was caused to it and as the swelling is going down, everything is returning to normal

But her owner is breathing a huge sigh of relief as each day shows definate improvement ...

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10577
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear that it is improving. As noted above, my inclination was towards something such as a hematoma. A prolapse with that profile would be unlikely - although in this business one "never says never"!!! :-)

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 387
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do either of you have a pic? I think that would be educational to see.

Laura
Weanling
Username: Horssports

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Kathee, I didn't take a picture. The swelling is down tremedously on my filly. Practically back to normal now. There is still some redness, where her vulva got dry and cracked a little. Poor girl.

I"m treating her with some A & D ointment to keep it moist.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 401
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like everything is alright and that is more important than anything! I am glad it was nothing serious.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US