SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Foal under gate

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Foal under gate « Previous Next »

angel humphries
Neonate
Username: Angel_humphries

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all. I just wanted to give a heads up on fencing with pregnant mares. We had a mare that we penned up in a small paddock with a stall. The fence went all the way to the ground except for the gate, which is a walk through panel gate, with the bottom about a foot off the ground. Anyway, i had stayed up with the mare most of the night, (her milk was white that day), but finally gave up waiting. the next morning my husband went out at about 7 AM, no baby mare was eating hay. At 8:30 AM, we found mare running fence, afterbirth hanging. The baby was out in the yearling pasture. As we got closer we noticed he wasn't using his right front leg. We were able to get him back to the mare by carrying him and fed him colostrum by milking the mare. Vet came and did xrays, leg was completely fractured. We had to take him to an equine orthopedic surgeon, who placed two titanium plates and many screws. He's doing okay now, but we are having to bottle feed him now.

Dianne Edwards
Weanling
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angel,
I am so sorry to hear about your baby, we watch and worry and try to cover all the bases but sometimes things like this slip through on us. I hope your baby and mom will be okay, I know it will be alot of work, that little guy is lucky to have grandparents like you. Hang in there!
Dianne

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Evie

Post Number: 361
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angel- sorry to hear about your foal being injured, we've learned the hard way too, you can "think" you have all the bases covered and they still manange to get into difficulty and get hurt sometimes. We came home one night to fine a new foal ( just born and had been trying to stand ) with his legs ( all four ) sticking out into the hallway under the door of the stall! Luckily, he was stuck enough that struggling only caused minor scrapes, we opened the door carefully and he stood up shortly thereafter. Even in a stall they manage to get into predicaments! I hope your foal makes a full recovery! Good luck with him! Ev.

angel humphries
Neonate
Username: Angel_humphries

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all. Just wanted to let you know that we had to have our little man put to sleep today. We noticed this morning that he wasn't using the injured leg. Our vet came out and did x-rays, and the screws and plates had completely disconnected from the upper radius. He said there was nothing else we could do, that the bone would not be able to heal now, so the best thing to do was to put him to sleep. It makes me sick to my stomach, but I know that he was hurting, and there wasn't anyway to fix it at that point. Thanks for the good wishes. Angel

Dawn Garbett
Neonate
Username: Stlfarm

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so sorry. That is horrible.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 227
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angel - What a terrible experience. I can not imagine your grief.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 250
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 02:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angel - So sorry to hear this. Best wishes for you.....

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 164
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 05:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angel- So sorry to hear about your foal.

Leslie Walker
Neonate
Username: Nala

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angel,

It breaks my heart, so sad for you and everyone involved including the mare. I am going to completely walk my pasture and check every inch. Even with that these little guys can find ways to get into trouble. I'm so sorry for you. Please accept an email HUG.

Joanna
Breeding Stock
Username: Joanna

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Angel,
So sorry for your loss. The whole situation is just a crummy thing to go through. Hope you feel better soon, and know that you are not going through this alone. If you need anything, even if it is just to vent, that is why these boards are here.

Daniel Crouse
Nursing Foal
Username: Sneakers17

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so sorry I can't imagine what your going through.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 260
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the way we solved our bar panel gates issue. It is a temporary fix because we need the ventilation for our long, hot summers, but I wanted to protect the foal. I hope the pictures will show the real efect. There is no space between the bars and the wood. We used pre fab fencing and cut it to the correct length to extend the gate to the ground. I probably isn't resistant enough as a permanent fix, but this was an inexpensive and practical fix of us.
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/Misc%20Horse%20Pics/?action=view &current=Babyproofinggate2.jpg

Joanna
Breeding Stock
Username: Joanna

Post Number: 108
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I put a railroad tie under my gates, but they are all about 9 feet wide. It seems to work very well, and the perk is it teaches the foal to step over obsticals while in the halter. The only way to follow mom out of the pen is to step (or jump) over the tie.

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 172
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 05:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joanne that is a very good idea with the railroad tie.

melissa
Breeding Stock
Username: Mbgirl

Post Number: 170
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sorry to hear this. I am now looking over our fences and gates. We had a foal last year cut his back leg on something. My vet and us look all over the fence area, we never found what cut him. Who knows what they can get into?
TAKE CARE AND WE WILL BE THINKING OF YOU AND YOUR MARE,
MELISSA

Susan Lea
Neonate
Username: Brandysgrandma

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so, so sorry about your poor baby. That is heartbreaking. The first day we let my mare and foal into the paddock, the foal laid down by the fence and rolled under and out into the pasture. Luckily we were there and could drag her back in.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US