SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Help! Question on waxing

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Help! Question on waxing « Previous Next »

Kathy Bakken
Neonate
Username: Kalie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everybody! I am looking for some information. This is my first and my mare's first foal. Can someone tell me if they will ALWAYS wax before foaling or not. She is on her 342nd day and her bag isn't as full as others that I've seen on this site. I've been sleeping out in the trailer, but does it sound like she isn't even close to foaling???

I've been reading everybody's posts and getting information from there, but I have a question about the waxing. I know it's been said that maiden mares may not bag up until after foaling, but the waxing is what I am wondering about.

Thank you for any help

Cathy
Breeding Stock
Username: Cathy

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not all mares wax, even those that have had numerous foals. Good luck.

Kathy Bakken
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 08:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Cathy! This site has so much great information on it and everybody is so helpful. I guess it's back to the trailer tonight. I can't wait for that baby. It's so exciting even my husband is offering to sleep out there. Thanks again. I really appreciate the input!

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is amazing how all of a sudden the husbands get involved in the foaling process. But it is usually at the last few days.

good luck with your mare!

Paulette Gustafson
Neonate
Username: Ndarabian1

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Kathy, What I go by is if the mare is very pointed in the stomach and if she has lost her pear shape (meaning the foal in now in position to deliver). If that butt is not making the belly very pointed, then she probably has a few days to go. Also sometimes a mare waxes and knocks the wax off, without you ever seeing it. I have had several mares that wax one year and not the next. Every mare is very much a unique individual, but with all of the foals that my mares have had, every single mare has been very pointed in the stomach the day before foaling.

Kathy Bakken
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Paulette! I will watch for that also. I brought the camera monitor in the house tonight. Do you think they know that you are in the trailer and hold onto the baby? The only thing I can't get in the house is the sound, but I think I will just set the alarm to go off and check the screen.

My husband said that two nights ago she dropped to the ground and then got up and her butt was jiggling and her tail was sticking straight out and then she paced the rest of the night. What's up with that??? She is on day 347!

Thanks!

Laura
Neonate
Username: Horssports

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulette,

in what way is the stomach pointed? from side to side?? or pointed on the underside??

My mare is getting close. We are both maiden's at this. My barn is 20 minutes away. I'm planning on camping out in the horse trailer as of tomorrow night. I noticed more progress today in my mare.. like her tail bone is more pronounced and/or her butt dips in more.

I sure hope she doesn't deliver tonight! I don't want to miss it. I also have a camera set up in the stall and I have the monitor in the horse trailer... so, I can watch from the warmth of the trailer.

Her vulva was also a darker pink than yesterday and I heard that's a sign that you are within 72hrs. ???? We are currently at day 332.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 208
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laura - here is a picture from a book of a mare with the V shape. It is caused by the foal's rear end pushing down after moving into the birth position. The foal's front legs and head would be up by the tail head.
http://photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/Misc%20Horse%20Pics/?action=view&cur rent=Vshapestomach.jpg

holly southgate
Neonate
Username: Hollysouthgate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how long would u say before there bellys go to v shape this is my frist time she has had many foals she has milk in her tits they are not waxing that I know of do you think she might be close not sure when she is due I bought her like that and they don't rember when they bred her they said she should be close.

Kris Gray
Neonate
Username: Littlekpine

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok Guys, I'm pretty new to the board and also to horses. My mare has gained an huge amount over the past 10 1/2 months, I believe she is pregnant. Last week she had wax with red spots(not blood just spotted ) on one of her teets, and my husband was able to get white sticky stuff, but nothing since. I've included a link of a picture of her belly..
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/littlekpine/LadyyMay22006.jpg
Any idea if she might be pregnant any help would be appreciated.

Kris

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 434
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris G - sounds pregnant! It's hard to tell with just one photo, but she does have the round look. Does she have any bag to go along with that wax? When did you get her and did she have access to a stud?

Kris Gray
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathee, Ladybug is 5 and has never been pregnant. We had two 1 1/2 year old stallions in the pasture with her and the other mares last year, really didnt think anything would happen quite yet. What a way to learn..

She is bagging up and is in the "V" shape. I just went out and took a few pictures of her that I have included here.

Please excuse her dirt, its been one muddy winter here and everytime I get her cleaned up she rolls..Someday the sun will dry it all up..

Kris

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/littlekpine/Horses/ladymay3rd3.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/littlekpine/Horses/ladymay3rd2.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/littlekpine/Horses/ladymay3rd.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/littlekpine/Horses/lady.jpg

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 439
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, now you know about the yearling studs! I found out that the stud I used for this baby was left with his Momma for a little over 12 months and then Momma was sent off for breeding and he was sold. The next year when they went to register his Momma's new baby...the blood didn't match and there was only one other possibility...and that blood did match! (sounds like an afternoon talk show topic!)
Does the bag go up and down? She doesn't appear to have one in the pics. She does look very rounded all over which is what my maiden did.

Kris Gray
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kathee, Yes it seems to be more full at night when we bring her in from the pasture.

What a shock about the blood match, guess this is how we learn..

Kris

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US