SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Baby kicking in front of udder????

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Baby kicking in front of udder???? « Previous Next »

tammy love
Neonate
Username: Nahbia

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare to which the due date is unknown. She is completely bagged up and soft around tail. I noticed small beeds of wax for the past 2 days but nothing to-day. When checking her about 1 hour ago I noticed that i could see the baby kicking about 3-4 inches in front of her udder.
Is she going to possibly foal to-night????
I am only asking because my husband got hurt at work to-day and I need to be home to watch him so i can't be at the barn with my mare. My barn is about 4 miles away.

Joanna
Yearling
Username: Joanna

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't tell you if she will foal tonite, although I do know that the baby moving in front of the udder is normal. If you can check the liquid in her udder, that could give you an idea of if she will go sometime soon. If it is clear and not milky or opaque, you are probably fine to leave her for the night. If it is obviously milky and you can't see through it, it means that she is getting closer.

(Message edited by Joanna on March 21, 2006)

Elena Vieira
Yearling
Username: Opheliaimmorttal

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I usually see kicking there, I've probably seen it the last month or two and she's 324 days today.
Elena

Dianne Edwards
Weanling
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too saw kicking in front of the udder about a week before she foaled, the kids said the baby was dreaming it was a race horse. I think it is normal but not much of an indicator. Good luck to horses and hubby!
Dianne

Ashley Beavens
Neonate
Username: Bearcreekfarm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I am new to the site and I have read many wonderful stories and learned alot. Sorry if my message gets to long!!
I also have a problem though. I bought a horse from a guy that lived in the cities, but boarded his horse at a Ranch near my house. She was a pretty little mare that had been beat up by the other horses and was about to be sent to auction so I decided to hand over (only!) $500 for her. After bringing her home(July) and training her, she turn out to be the best horse on my farm!! She is just a sweetheart, but one day she got caught in the fence and when I came home she was all bloody. She had cut her hoof(from her frog all the way to through her hoof) on 5 feet of barbwire(Dec 13, 2005). It was terrible, but with alot of time, and before I new it I was riding her lightly again(Feb.28, 2006) Then March 1 came around and I was brushing her and noticed that her "Hay Belly" was huge so I reached under her and she had a BAG! I was shocked to find out that she was pregnant. I called the Ranch were she was boarded and he had said that he had a big round up and had 1 stud with about 15 mares in a pen that day, but he really didn't think that she was pregnant/in heat. But Know it is March 29 and her bag is still the same as it was on March 1. How will I know when she is getting close (My vet is on vacation so I can't get an estimated date). The only different thing is that her vulva is getting giggly. And do pregnant mares really go from pink to darker when they are within 48 hrs of foaling? Since she had lost so much blood from her cut will that have hurt the baby?

Dianne Edwards
Weanling
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I have read on this board, the only sure way to predict impending foaling is the color of her milk.

SDS
Yearling
Username: Whisper05

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw kicking in front of the udder just before my mare went into serious labor,but they kick around all over when they get to doing "hot laps" inside the belly so hard to tell sometimes if baby is just rolling around or is getting ready to come out,LOL

Ashley Beavens
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had milked her 3 days ago and she did have a yellowish fluid, then about 10 min ago, I went down to put her in the barn and I tried to milk her, but I only got a tiny drop of white milk.(hard to tell if it is thick or thin.) She is really sensitive tonight, but she is eating and her vulva is getting darker. And of course there is something in her belly because s/he is constantly moving! This is going to be the first foaling for both me and the horse so I want to be there!(If she doesn't mind :-)

Ashley Beavens
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O ya before I forget, how much does a pregnancy test cost? I would like to know for I am a student who is attending college, but my horses live at my parents house so boarding is not an issue. I don't really have alot of money and I am just woundering what the prices range from. If my horse does not "POP" before my vet comes back from vacation then I just might have her do a preg. test just to know!!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US