SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Help!! advice on pregnant maiden mare PLEASE!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Help!! advice on pregnant maiden mare PLEASE!! « Previous Next »

Tracy Macintyre
Neonate
Username: Tracyhendo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2012 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Firstly hi!! I was googling for advise on impending foaling and found this site rather full of helpfull advice :-)
Ok we have got no idea on dates regarding this pregnancy, vet guestimated possibly a couple of weeks ago as a due date!! It didnt happen though....Mare has had loose muscles for last few weeks bag is pretty large and its tight and hot, her teets have seperated and are themselves larger, her vulva is long and loose (but again she has had this for a while) she seems (poor) around her flanks but is in great condition everywhere else, she went from VERY large to quite v shaped then changed again to flat underneath and is now kinda rounded underneath! she has been very uncomfortable for about 4 wks, biting at her legs and belly....dancing on her feet and has had her tail well away from her vulva for about 2 wks! She had a very small spotting of wax about 2 days ago but didnt seem to have any milk on her legs......wax then disappeared :-( although today she has dry milk on inside of her legs and all down the back of her legs! when i literally touched her teat my hand was soaked....it was almost light gray in colour cloudy white and had no taste at all, not salty or sweet? very bland, she also seemed quite clingy and didnt want us to leave her paddock but on the other hand seems very calm although still uncomfortable! has anyone any ideas on if foaling could be quite soon or am i getting excited for nothing lol.....as you can probably tell its not just the mare thats a first time mum :-P ....i would appreciate any advice possibly even if its just to settle me or even get me more excited lol xx

Brenda Weddle
Breeding Stock
Username: 3_horses

Post Number: 373
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2012 - 07:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would keep a close eye on her. It sounds as thought she may be getting ready to foal.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 4236
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2012 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is the milk thick and sticky?

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2530
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2012 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Back! How about pictures? Would love to see her!
Sounds like she might be getting close to me :-)

Tracy Macintyre
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 07:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Diana its quite runny but has got a slighty sticky consistancy to it...although not very sticky :-)

Holly as soon as i can do the picture thing i will lol i do have a wee video on my phone are video's able to be posted on here? Brenda im exhausted keeping a close eye lol xx

Tracy Macintyre
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 07:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This video (if it works) is about a month ago! friend is chasing her around a bit as the vet wanted her to try to get rid of some swelling!

http://http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=10150741881660139

Jane Whritenour
Breeding Stock
Username: Quarterhorsetimestwo

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 08:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can tell you that my mare was slowly dripping milk on a sat- then stopped- was uncomfortable- sun same thing - sweating both nights - monday morning baby waiting for me when i got up. I tasted the milk droplets as well - had no taste either looked like 1% milk. Her teats were very elongated. My girl is 15 and had a few babies before i got her. This is her last. A filly born 3 weeks ago. She is a draft cross, so she will be a big girl.

Tracy Macintyre
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh sounds promising Jane :-) i cant comment on percentage of milk but without being crude it looks like sperm :-/ sorry you missed it :-( did you just presume it wasnt going to happen and left or was it a going for a coffee situation? Rosie is on cctv at a friends in her foaling box but because she is so uncomfortable every night its hard to judge if its a goer or not, so she is reluctant to tell me to get there, as we have had so many false alarms :-( xx

Tracy Macintyre
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey guys friend managed to get some test strips and mares milk is measuring 6.2ph and calcium 500+ what do you think?? xx

Brenda Weddle
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 375
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummm, I think you'd better watch her very closely. It sounds as though foaling may happen VERY soon! (like today or tonight).

Brenda Weddle
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 376
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the yellowhouseranch website and go to "foaling". There is a wealth of info there.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2534
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6.2 and over 500 is foaling range.... I would watch her closely!

Brenda Weddle
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 377
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracy, we know about exhaustion on this bulletin board, lol! Most don't get much if any sleep during foaling season. Previously I've had one during a foaling season. This year I have one mare and 2 Jennets who have foaled and one miniature Jennet who is due to foal soon. By the way, what is sleep?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4237
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the friend tested....did you use DISTILLED water? IF not, the results wont be accurate! Mix 1 cc mares milk with 6 ccs distilled water, then test...if you did this, expect a foal tonight

Tracy Macintyre
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 08:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda I have absorbed every word on that website lol.....sleep i believe is something non horsey people seem to be able to achieve :-)congrats on your baby's so far and good luck on the last one :-) Diana yes it was distilled water she used! not sure if we are all in different time slots on here lol but i posted the milk results at about 9pm last night and nothing, but............today she refused to come out of her stable and has been consistantly uncomfortable since about 8am and has only stopped dancing to eat for about half an hour at about 12.00 then still standing with bottom on wall and ears back dropping her head to the floor quite a lot and dancing on her feet.....and its now 2pm sooooooo fingers crossed we are going to see some new life today or early evening :-) :-) :-) how exciting....oh and i also had 11 chicks born today from 2 chickens, so maybe this is the day of new life :-) I will update everyone later or as and when there is any news....and thankyou so much to you guys for your words and support.....eeeeeeek rather excited lol xx

Brenda Weddle
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 379
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracy, there is a time difference. I think the time on the bulletin board is Eastern US Time. You siad in your post it was 2 pm where you are, but the time on the post was 8:54 am. Where are you?
I can feel the excitement in your words! I hope your foaling goes well for everyone! Thanks for your congratulations and I your right about sleep being something non-horsey people can achieve, lol! Congratulations on your baby chicks!

Tracy Macintyre
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2012 - 06:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Brenda Im in England! Where are you?? Right update i went to my friends at about 2.30pm and she was very uncomfortable..done her milk test at 8pm, same results, she has barely had any hay all night and has danced fidgeted, dropped her head to the floor all the night long, she tried to lay down twice and was unable too :-( her normal evening routine is pillow and duvet flat out at about 10.30-11.00.....she didnt even snooze all night i left at 7.30am.....now at about 11.00 she has so much wax on her teets that it can be seen from anywhere you can see her on the yard not just from looking below her closely.....so another long night lol, i just hope if it is tonight that she has the energy to deliver after no sleep :-( poor girlie!! so still very excited...off to cuddle my new chicks and other horses and i will then return to my night shift position :-) another update tomorrow :-) xx

Brenda Weddle
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 382
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2012 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am in west Tennessee, USA. Your poor girl sounds so uncomfortable! If she doesn't foal in the next 24 hrs I will be VERY surprised. Madison, our mini donkey still has not foaled, but I don't think she is quite ready. Hopefully soon! Also, just for peace of mind, you might want to get your vet to check her. What is her name?

Lauren Piercy
Neonate
Username: Lauren26

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2012 - 08:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fingers crossed she foals tonight for you Tracy. Im in Scotland and the time differences on here were confusing to start with but i think im slowing getting to grips with it. Where in England are you? Looking forward to some news later that she has foaled safely :-)

Jane Whritenour
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 179
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2012 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of us across the pond are waiting for good news.....

Tracy Macintyre
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2012 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right chit chat out the way first lol....Brenda you will be ok with the times than as its your time slots that show up :-) Lauren im in Milton Keynes but I am a scottish lass :-) where are you in scotland? ................ ok for across the pond and here, update is Rosie continued to dance and press bottom all day, we turned her into the paddock whilst we cleaned her stable out, and she just stood at the gate watching us, the second we put her back in she litterally just gushed milk everywhere this was about 3pm, so we settled her down and went for coffee and tv screen to watch her.....she danced and pressed her bum....went for a walk around the stable and as she turned her botty to the camera her waters broke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she then threw herself to the floor and started to push......no pawing rolling sweating lip curling nothing lol, we ran to her stable and delivered at 5.15pm in daylight....she did need help as baby was rather large and shoulders were not budging at all.....she delivered her placenta 20mins later and is the most beautifull mum to her rather large filly :-) :-) :-) baby stood after about 5 mins and took almost an hour to work the bar out....both are very very much bonded and are doing very well :-) vet is coming at 1.30pm tomorrow to check after birth and both parties.....i havent slept at all since saturday night so i can now go rest my weary head and have beautifull restless dreams....i will post piccies tomorrow...and thanks again to all for words of support :-) xx

mynutmeg
Weanling
Username: Mynutmeg

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2012 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay, happy birthday to your filly
Sweet dreams

Lauren Piercy
Neonate
Username: Lauren26

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2012 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations on your filly, I cant wait to see some pics. So glad to hear that mum and baby are doing well, fingers crossed the vet checks are all ok too. Im in the Scottish Borders not too far from Kelso.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4241
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2012 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is awesome!! so glad all went well!! Pics please!! :-)

Brenda Weddle
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 384
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2012 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Tracy! I am glad all went well! Looking forward to pics!

Tracy Macintyre
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 03:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeh...... thanks guys, i have been coughing and spluttering all night so havent managed much sleep, but i have been smiling rather stupidly through out :-) xx

Jane Whritenour
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hoorah! I'm glad every thing went well - Cant wait to see pictures . Now take care of that cough and get some sleep yourself.

Tracy Macintyre
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry its taken so long to post pictures....needed my daughter to do the deed :-/ not very good with technoligy lol, anyway this is Rosie and her filly Blossom within the first hour after birth :-) xx

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r631/tracyhendo/rosieandbubba203.jpg

Tracy Macintyre
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r631/tracyhendo/rosieandbubba207.jpg

Tracy Macintyre
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r631/tracyhendo/rosieandbubba226.jpg

next morning after birth, not evevn 24 hours old xx

Tracy Macintyre
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r631/tracyhendo/rosieandbubba216.jpg

Tracy Macintyre
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/r631/tracyhendo/rosieandbubba218.jpg

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US