SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Foal size

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Foal size « Previous Next »

Theresa Kamp-Peters
Neonate
Username: Big_black_crow

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I have always seen on other forums posts about how a mares system doesn't allow a foal to grow to large to be born. So why does it happen?

I purchased a mare last early winter. She was 9 months along. She is a sturdy 16.2 mare, 1300# she was bred to an equally sturdy 17hh Shire cross. The mare herself is part draft.

Normal pregnancy, she went into labor at day 352. The front feet presented but no progress was made, called the vet since the mare decided 11am was a good time to foal, the vet was hours away at a farm visit. Scrubbed up reached in and found the muzzle was trapped between the front legs and tried to reposition foal. There was absolutely no room. Tried for a long time on my own since calls to 4 other vets resulted in the same out of town answer. Ultimately I did get a vet and a trailer out at the same time. By this time (hours later) the foal had passed and the efforts were to save the mare. Decided to load her up and take her to Cornell Veterinary. A fetonomy was performed to remove the 150# (YIKES) filly. They weren't even sure after removing the head if the shoulders would pass. after foaling, she was in ICU waiting for the placenta to pass....it took 5 days. Thank goodness she never went septic or foundered. (She wore ice boots and an iv of antibiotics constantly until 24 hours after passing)

The hauler (a local wb breeder) commented that she had never seen hooves that size on a newborn...heck she had yearling connemara's with smaller feet.

So what could have caused the foal to grow so large? Mare wasn't on feed until she came here and then it was minimal until the last few weeks, and even then it was 16% and less than 4qts a day. (she lives on air...)

Vets said all is well with the mare, no tearing or damage and she is breeding sound. I just wondered what could be done in the future to prevent this from happening again, should I ever get the guts to breed her again. I could rationalize it in my mind if the sire and her were different body types and he was hands taller, but then everyone says drafts can be bred to ponies.... ideas?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3529
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The uterus controls the size (height and mass) to which the foal grows, but may not have reliable control over width and depth of chest and hips, causing problems when a narrow-pelvic-opening is encountered. This is typically where "size" issues are found.

What you describe actually is more of a dystocia situation, which was probably coupled with an exhausted mare unable to push adequately after the 4 hours that you worked on the mare before she got to Cornell.

There is one exception to the uterine-control rule, although I doubt that it applied in this case, and that is if endophyte exposure is encountered. This can lead to abnormally prolonged gestational duration, with the fetus continuing to grow in utero. As I say, I doubt that applies here, as 352 days is well within the "normal" range of 320-370.

One also has to consider that animals are not computers, so there are always exceptions to "rules"! :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US