SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Are we close ???

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Are we close ??? « Previous Next »

tracy tomlin
Neonate
Username: Magic_promises

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is my first post i have been involved with horses for 20 years but never foaled well my baby is now 326 days and she has be growing really well. The vets here on the island where are live are very old school to what i am used to and pregnant is pregnant vets just are not called before. Anyway her bag has been filling and restless is present for the last few days. the foal has dropped and tail relaxed. today thought her milk vein is full and running the full length of her belly it is also very thick both sides are even. However no waxing and either i am bad at milking which is possible or there is only a little milky fluid.(it could be me)
It is her 1 foal and she is 10 in very good health standing 1.72

Ok my question is the milk vein being now so very prominent a sign we are really close ?? i am not one to panic but................. all help would be great

Brenda Weddle
Breeding Stock
Username: 3_horses

Post Number: 232
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A more reliable sign would be her vulva relaxing and the inside turning bright red. From the other signs you give, it sounds as though she is close.

tracy tomlin
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi Brenda

Her vulva is relaxed and has a gap at the bottom now. inside is pink not the bright red.

what do you think ?

Brenda Weddle
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think she is very close, but the best sign of imminent foaling that I have found is when the inside of the vulva is bright red. Do you have any pics you can share? I'd love to see her. Also, go to yellowhouseranch.com They have the best pics I have seen of pregnant mares during gestation, and especially when they are close to foaling. Best of luck and please keep up posted! One other reliable sign is testing the milk for pH and calcium. there are some posts here that explain how to do it.

tracy tomlin
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi Brenda

I dont know how to put the photos on here so i have mailed you the ones i took today, i think tonight she is waxing i say that because it was after i squezzed here teats it could have been milk left on the end that dried but the milk shooting out so i think tonight could be it !!!!

tracy tomlin
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we are waxing 100%

Brenda Weddle
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 236
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To post photos, I upload them to photobucket and then copy and paste the links to the pictures, but e-mailing them to me is fine. It could be tonight! How exciting! I took these of Pammy last night:
http://s934.photobucket.com/albums/ad185/bweddlern/Pammy/?action=view&current=10 0_0185.jpg
http://s934.photobucket.com/albums/ad185/bweddlern/Pammy/?action=view&current=10 0_0251.jpg
http://s934.photobucket.com/albums/ad185/bweddlern/Pammy/?action=view&current=10 0_0248.jpg

tracy tomlin
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shes lovely the pics are great how long has she got ??' have you had many foals before ?? thanks for all the support i am now very excited :-)

Brenda Weddle
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not sure how long exactly Pammy has. I just know not long. She snuck this one in on me. We have had her since she was 9 months old and she just turned 4. We had her separated from our two stallions by a 4 strand electric fence. About 2 weeks ago, I thought her hay belly looked different. Sure enough, she had an udder. Off to the vet who told us she was a week or two away from foaling. Boy, did I feel dumb. The sire is either the paint warmblood we sold or the bay Clydesdale stallion we still have. Either one would make a beautiful baby with Pammy.
I have not had a lot of foals before as we are not into breeding, but some of our rescues come to us pregnant. It really is an exciting time!

tracy tomlin
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2012 - 03:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150709835711348.454095.691976347&type =1&l=ded8e6f832

Here is the link we have a boy he looks like hes gona be a bay with a white sock and star. mums not letting him suck to good and despite getting up every 2 hours i still missed the birth but maybe thats a good thing :-)

Brenda Weddle
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 238
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2012 - 06:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's beautiful Tracy! Please be sure to have a vet come out and test his IgG level within 24 hrs of birth, since he is not being allowed to nurse much. That tests his level of immunity and is VERY important. You may have to hold Mom so baby can nurse. He has to get that colostrum in the first 12 hours for immunity. CONGRATULATIONS! I am so happy for you and glad everything turned out well.

Brenda Weddle
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 239
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2012 - 06:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might try giving her grain to distract her while he nurses. Is she a maiden? Also her udder might be tender.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 4150
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2012 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

test the IGg within 12hrs of birth, that way if it's low, he can still be supplemented or transfused before the gut closes!

Brenda Weddle
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 242
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2012 - 08:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you for correcting my mistake Diana.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US