SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare is 342 days and no foal

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Mare is 342 days and no foal « Previous Next »

Kylee Loop
Neonate
Username: Kylee_loop

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So we have a 5 year old Appaloosa mare who is currently 342 days along. This is her first time foaling and I've never had a pregnant mare before. Can you help me with signs and what to watch for? Her belly is extremely huge and her bag has been, maybe a 1/4 way full from a lot of pictures I have seen. She had clear liquid about 7 days ago and I haven't check anything lately. She hasn't lost her appetite yet.. at all, gosh she sure loves her food but she is getting to the point where she is eating her straw now also.

Can anyone help? I can post pictures if needed.

Kylee Loop
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh and also she has very very thin diarrhea. Her tail is sometimes up all day then others it is tucked in and sometimes she lets me go near her and others I can't even touch her.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 4126
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is a great site called www.yellowhouseranch.com that has many great pics and signs of foaling. As far as the appetite, not all mares lose their appetite....many don't. 342 is well within normal range, and some go much MUCH longer. It would be helpful to post pics here, for sure! If the mare has diarrhea, I'd certainly have her checked by a vet to find out why...as that is not a normal symptom in pregnancy. Loose (cow like) poo in the last couple of days is normal though.

Kylee Loop
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2012 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some pics, they are from last night.
http://i40.tinypic.com/xgioeo.jpg
Oh and she also has this weird red waxy type discharge on her bag. Here is a pic, it was the closet she allowed me to get. http://i39.tinypic.com/alta2d.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/wko5z5.jpg

and here is early this morning at feeding http://i41.tinypic.com/dgrq79.jpg

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4127
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2012 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know about the weird red waxy stuff, my guess is that it would be what they call "rusty pipes". Her udder still has a ways to go, and honestly, she is not that big to me. I have a few minis who are carrying BIGGER than her LOL!!! Watch her shape from the side and the back, and have a look at the yellow house ranch site. If you want help evaluating her shape as foaling nears, take your pics at about the same distance as yellowhouse, and make sure the mare is standing square. It really helps to see them in that stance. Also, watch that vulva for loosenin/lengthing.

Kylee Loop
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2012 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pics aren't that great. When you stand behind her she is and her belly is extremely hard if that counts at anything? i have compared photos to yellowranch but they are different horses.. this is my mares first foal plus she may/may not show some signs. i heard that some horses don't even get milk until after they foaled. my mare does have milk, it is like pretty much clear with yellow hints.

we did wrap her tail, been watching her hips and they look a little relaxed. 3434 days so far. oh and the red stuff did go away, no idea what it was though..

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4128
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2012 - 09:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a good idea, if your mare has milk, to pick up some ph testing strips from the pool supply store (or walmart) and start checking ph. Usually,in my experience, mares are all or nothing...in otherwords, if this mare has as much of a bag as she has now, I'd assume she's going to go ahead and fill before foaling, and give you ample notice. The ones who don't get a bag, and don't produce milk first, usually don't have ANYTHING down there! :-) Start taking pics of your mare and posting them here, We enjoy analyzing!

Kylee Loop
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2012 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright. Well I'll go get more pictures. This morning she neglected her food for the first 10 minutes then acted partially interested, like she was just eating it so the others wouldn't get it.

Kylee Loop
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, got the pictures but they aren't uploading.. It has been.. 347 days, she does have a little bit more milk, it's still a yellow clear color. Two days ago, around 9pm-2am she was constantly rolling and pacing, and biting at her side. I thought for sure she'd have had it last night but she showed absoultely no symptoms other then her hips moving and she swelled up. She does every night, but no baby.. She just stands in her stall all night.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2450
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2012 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kylee, is she a pony? She reminds me of my pintaloosa pony mare.
Firstly, has she been confirmed in foal by any means?
My pony mare was quite hefty when I got her, she is about your mares age, and her udder looked similar to your mares. Shes been on a diet and her udder is normal now.:-)
My pony mare is also very sprung in the ribs, making her very barrel shaped, and looks wide all the time.
Can you get a picture of her from the side view? its much easier to see them that way. And from a bit of a distance to get the entire body in the pic...

Kylee Loop
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2012 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is definitely in foal, I've had her for three years now and you can feel the foal kick. She isn't a pony, just a appaloosa mare, she stands around 15.1-15.2hands. Here are a couple pics

She showed no signs last night.. she would lay down for a bit then get up and go eat. weird on day 345 she just rolled for around 3 hours straight and now nothing. But still, her hips move every night and her udder also swells at night.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2e5tv91.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/15y9qmd.jpg

and this is back in november
http://i40.tinypic.com/2a5lizd.jpg

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2452
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2012 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the earlier pics she looked a lot shorter LOL!

Well she def looks bred from the side view. 348 days is still in the normal range, and sometimes maiden can carry longer. Her udder may just fill right before foaling. Like Diana said keep watching!

Kylee Loop
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2012 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've read a few where mares have gone 390+ days. Eesh! I can't imagine waiting that long, so far I've spent 3 weeks watching her. Might as well wait until she has it. And yeah, she does look short, and earlier I figured out she has black eyebrows with her winter coat. LOL.

Kylee Loop
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2012 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just realized Valentines day is on Tuesday. I'll gladly wait until she has it then.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US