SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Foal Movement ( 35 days till foaling )

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Foal Movement ( 35 days till foaling ) « Previous Next »

paintedacresfarm (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Howdy folks , this is my first time foaling out this mare she is due in about 35 days , she is slightly bagging , but I have noticed I havent been able to see much movement if any of the foal , my other mare she always has a active foal right up till the day of delievery , should I be panicked ? Cause I can't even get this baby moving with my tickles and touches ?? ?

Virginia

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Id also be interested in any responses to this - My foal was shifting around like a mad thing, but the last couple of days has been quiet... Normal??

Alex Abel
Yearling
Username: Paintedhorses

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know wether its normal or not, but I can tell from our 5 preggies that the babies werent always active. Some days I wouldnt see any moment at all and others they were kicking up a storm in there.
With the mare that had her baby this morning, I hardly ever noticed any movement. Just every now and then.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 428
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that sometimes as the foal gets into postion the activity level starts to decrease. There is little room and very cramped in most cases. I think it also seems to have to do with the sex of the foal, from my experience, a filly seems to be less active, then a colt,as well as if it is a maiden mare or not... maidens are much more tight than multiple birth mares.
Nothing scientific here ! Just my expereinces and observations!

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys - I have just been to feed my mare and Im pretty sure it was shifting about in there again, I think it is just a different movement??? Before it felt like kicks underneath her where my hand was, but today if I put my hand above her side, it felt more like it was just shifting/rolling about, but nothing underneath her...

Its all very exciting, and being so new to me I just feel better to have asked the question, I think Id go mad wondering to myself all the way along!!

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Evie

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto what Kim K said, and if the movement looks less or different,remember as the foal changes position to get ready for birth, they are no longer laying sideways but with their hind feet down towards the mares abdomen. (and there's less room in there now for them to be active!)

Jan H
Breeding Stock
Username: Jan_h

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to feel something really weird just wait until the day before or two days before they foal and you can see movement near their tail! on some mares you can see the area quiver like a Jello mold giggle. I love foaling season!

Amber Tedford
Weanling
Username: Amber

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, lol, I thought I saw my mares rear/tail move yesterday! I thought to myself "surely not," but I gues maybe so, huh? We have went through so many signs and still NOTHING, so I don't get my hopes up anymore.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan- I flinch every time I see that. Sage's colt would do that on Saturday and the poor mare would just flinch.. it must have hurt something fierce.. he was a lively booger right up to when he foaled.. poor mamma. I'd planned to not breed her this year, but if I don't I won't get to cross her back on that same stud, he's due to be auctioned in April and he'll cost far more than I can afford.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock
Username: Kris

Post Number: 230
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too am noticing lots less movement, and when it does move it is no longer back towards flank/udder area, it is lower abdomen area. Normal? it almost looks like my mare has he hiccups.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 05:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a bit concerned : ) My mare still has just over nine wks till 'due' date and I am noticing this...???

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris I have seen that many times and yes it is perfectly normal and fun to watch! :-)

Kim I am sorry to what are you referring? Do you see or feel fetal movements? and even if you do not that can be normal too as my maiden mare shows very little movement and I feel very little on her, but she is pregnant and is 330 days today. :-)

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 171
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had alot of movement under her belly towards her flanks and her udder at first, then recently it seems to have quietened down but is further forward as though the baby is just shifting its weight around rather than wriggling and kicking his/her legs. That is what was described as when the baby changes position, but its a little early for that!! Im only at 276 days!!

But it is normal for them to shift and move differently throughout though is it? I really oughta find something else to occupy myself while Im waiting, instead of reading into all these little changes!I cant help it - Im sooo excited, and having seen some of the beautiful bouncing babies on this board already I cant wait to see what mine looks like : )

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim - I have chased this baby all over my maiden mare trying to feel it. Sometimes it would be days and nothing at all and then it would show up somewhere else. I guess I didn't know enough to worry! Now that she is in her final month (I hope), the baby has been pretty much in the same spot. I hear people talk about watching it jump all over and mine has never done that. There have been times when it was very active and I could feel consistant kicking. I have only seen it move a couple times.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like my little monster kathee! Thanks

And I will be looking out for the arrival of yours real soon then. Not long now...

Jan H
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto what Kathee said what your feeling on your mare is normal, a little more cookin and you will see your baby then you can be excited and exhausted trying to keep up with him/her. :-)

Virginia Tache
Neonate
Username: Painted_acres_farm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well spent most of my afternoon watching Cinnamon and finally seen the little fart moving around , its just moving in a different place :-) only 32 days left :-) if she doesnt keep it longer heheh !

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim- I've noticed that the foals are more quiet in the mares right now too, however, if I get close to their abdomen and talk, they tend to start up kicking..maybe you need to talk to that baby? (I'm not sure if they recognize me and are excited or if they are thinking, "oh no, it's her!!" but whatever the case, I seem to get a reaction every time..lol

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 246
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you know one time i was standing with my hand on her belly and had to yell at he dog, baby jumped, mom squealed and pinned her ears and swished her tail, thats too funny...i thought it was a coincidence! i am going to have to talk to the belly today and see if i get a response!

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris- try it and see if it works.. it sure does on my mares. I'll bend over to look at their udders ( closely ) and if I'm talking to someone (or the mare..lol) I almost always get a reaction. Maybe since they are in position for birth, they can hear more of what's going on outside?? You'll have to let me know how your experiment works.

Gynna Meiller
Breeding Stock
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the movement has a lot to do with the foals actual personality as well as other factors. Our maiden mare had all kinds of movement and I would have sworn it would have been a colt with all the "running" we would watch it do..NAH ..its a born on the ground RUNNING filly folks..and let me tell you she is driving her poor mamma NUTS trying to keep up with her..she was just about 10 hrs old and started running around in short burst..LOL..now she runs the length of the turn out( about 160 ft) does a skippy slide stop , waits for her mamma to catch her in the corner..slips outa there and runs to the other end..I was on the ground with tears in my eyes today!! she ran into the stall, waited for my mare to get there, scrambled under the mares belly and took off AGAIN..mamma is shaking her head at her and calling her back while she is trying to get her sore butt into something managable as a trot...she is the bulliest little filly I have ever seen!! and she is only 3 days old!!

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 441
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Gynna,
Seen your filly from the other web site. She is pretty . :-)

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E- nothing, no reaction, course Tsaharah issnt too cooperative either, she dont really want me too close to her. We have some progress though (i think!) I found milk veins today without even trying, i actually found them with gloves on they are so big. They are swollen feeling veins leading right to her udder, and today for the first time her udder looks to be getting a tiny bit bigger, and it is WARM! usually it is cool...not today! maybe she will make some milk afterall! :-) her vulva is looking "thick" (swollen?) with spasms. she takes lots of deep breathes and when she "poops" it si just a couple soft apples...what do you think?

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 193
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris- LOL, I think EVENTUALLY, you'll get a baby!<giggle> this watching and waiting is making me a little crazy and VERY tired. Last night I didn't even check mares late at night like usual. I just didn't think we'd see any foals this morning, I was right and I had a good nights sleep! Maybe I'll see some changes this evening when I get home and check them again.. I'm ready to see the next little set of ears peeking up over the stall front! (filly ears)

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 257
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GOOD MORNING! NO BABIES HUH?
I HAVE NOT FOTTEN TO THE UP ALL NIGHT STAGE, I THE AM! A FEW MORE CHANGES AND I MAY BEGIN CHECKING IN THE NIGHT THOUGH! THIS AM HER VULVA IS REALLY DROPPING AND WIDE AT THE BOTTOM(OPENING). I AM NOT SURE IF THEY WERE SPASMS THIS AM OR IF BABY IS KNOCKING ON HER DOOR, BECAUSE IT WAS PUSHING OUT AT THE SAME TIME HER BELLY HOPPED...WEIRD, THATS ALL I CAN SAY, IT HAPPENED REPEATEDLY! LIKE 20 TIMES,AND SHE JUST HUNG HER HEAD AND CHEWED HAY...WELL OTHER THAN GETTING INCREASINGLY CRABBY, DRINKING A TON OF WATER AND LICKING SALT A LOT NO REAL CHANGES THIS AM.
ANY CHANGES IN YOUR MARES? OR SAME OL' SAME OL?

Alex Abel
Yearling
Username: Paintedhorses

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The baby that was born here past monday night, didnt show much movement all at during pregnancy. Really there was only one time that I did see him kick around like crazy in there about a week before he was born. But he's not quiet anymore. This morning I was ready to strangle him and his mom. Baby kept on running around and mom was too worried about him to come to her stall to be fed. She wouldnt let me catch her and I had to wait about 45 minutes for the both of them finaly settling into their stall. All while its starting to rain and we are under a tornado watch. I was almost ready to just throw the towel ( ahem feed bucket).

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris- Sage did that ( or the foal did ) the last couple of days before she delivered, I'd say you could be getting close, the foal is probably in position which would account for the lack of movement you've noted and the change in your mares shape. The next thing I'd hope to see is a change in her udder, Sage had a significant change the day before she foaled. The other mares are still hanging out, not doing anything different really.. and I'm watching them like a hawk, checking twice a day, sometimes more often if I'm down at the barn all day.
Alex- I have to brag, my little man followed his momma right out of the stall last night and down the hall and then right back when I took them back after cleaning it.. I was SO impressed, usually we have to push the foals out the first time and they tend to act a little silly and run everywhere, he was a perfect gentleman.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I nearly got my mares hoof in my face today - The first time shes kicked out! I fed her as usuall but in the field rather than the barn and then moved to her belly to have a feel and..BOOM - She kicked at me, I grumbled at her (normally she just lifts her leg, I grumble and she puts it down again) and this time - she kicks at me again! Both times just as I was feeling for baby. Must be moving around more than I thought - It certainly annoying her today : )

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EV-
SO DO YOU THINK A CALL TO THE VET WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA? LET HIM KNOW HER CHANGES SINCE I TALKED TO HIM LAST WEEK AND LET HIM KNOW STILL NO BAG? (LIKE I SAID MAYBE A EVER SO SLIGHT CHANGE IN SIZE, BUT WARM AND VEINS VERY LARGE!)
ALSO NO ONE SEEMS TO BE ANSWERING THIS QUESTION, DO THEY INCREASE THEIR WATER INTAKE AND SALT PRIOR?
SHE IS ONLY ON 14% GRAIN, DO YOU THINK LACK OF PROTIEN COULD BE CAUSING LACK OF MILK? ALSO VERY LITTLE ALFALFA, SO SHE ISNT GETTING A WHOLE LOT OF PROTIEN, WOULD A PROTIEN SUPP BE A GOOD IDEA?
THANKS MAN YOUR A LIFESAVER!!! OR AT LEAST A MIND SAVER!

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim- you should get after her for that, even pregnant, that's not good behavior. Sage will lift her foot and threaten me sometimes when she's really pregnant and crabby, but she promptly will get an open hand across the hip to remind her that I won't tollerate it, no matter how rotten she feels. Be careful, a kick in the head could be deadly.

Kris- sorry, tell me again the dates she was covered? our mares are on 14% year round and hay, no pasture (it's brome hay, not alfalfa) they do fine. I keep my mares on mare care plus too, but my husband doesn't, they all seem to do just fine. If your mare hadn't had trouble with milk production before, I'd be less concerned. Since she has a history of it, you could have a repeat situation. In my opinion, it would be best to be prepared for her to foal and not have milk. I believe you can get collostrum to supplement your foal, it might be good to have that on hand just in case, as well as a tube of the paste that will bring her milk on. I'd say, call the vet, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANKS- CALLED VET LEFT A MESSAGE, TOLD HIM SHOWING ALL SIGNS OF LITERALLY ANY TIME BUT NO MILK!
SHE WAS COVERED ON APRIL 14,16,17,18,20,23,24,26,AND THE 28TH(HAD TO BE TWITCHED, WAS NOT REAL RECEPTIVE). SO BECAUSE SHE HAD A DOUBLE LONG CYCLE COULD SHE HAVE TAKEN A WEEK EARLIER THAN THOUGHT AND BE LIKE 324? OR TAKEN FISRT BREEDING AND BE FURTHER YET? I KNOW THE LAST BREEDING DATE IS USUALLY USED..BUT???

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 203
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use the first cover date, that way I don't get a surprise foal. I'd rather be watching sooner and have to wait than not have the stall clean and ready when they come earlier than I'm expecting. Let me know what the vet tells you to do.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 264
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SO SAGE WHO FOALED AT 320 DAYS WAS FROM HER FIRST COVER DATE?? AND YES ILL LET YOU KNOW IF I GET A CALL BACK FROM THE VET.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, she sure did.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 266
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! I JUST USED THE FOALING CALCULATOR...THAT MAKES 329 DAYS!!!! AHHH, YEAH, I SUPPOSE ID BETTER GET REALLY READY....AS YOU SAID JUST IN CASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she's about the same as Avery then, maybe a little ahead of her, but Ave does have a firm udder, it's not totally full, but it's rounded out and hard to the touch.. so she's getting ready..

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 446
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris,
for your question on water intake.... I would say yes to the increase in water. I know that she will use that water to make the milk for the foal.... They increase their intake after foaling as well.... The more water intake the better for milk production. Just as in humans, they say that a human mom should drink a extra glass of water every time she nurses to help with milk production. If you should stall her, make sure that she has water in the stall after baby is born all the time so she gets enough.
salt ?? some mares are a bit low during pg., so she may feel that she needs it. I had a mare that we had to suppliment salt in addition to what was already in their feed other wise she would have spasums.

Good luck everyone!

Jenn
Breeding Stock
Username: Jenn

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would also imagine that if she is heavy in foal she could be sweating more than usual just from daily activity in which case she would need to up her water and salt intake. Does she seem to be hotter/sweatier than usual?
Good luck and best wishes to all. I have apx 2 1/2 months left to wait.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris - I had to put and second water bucket in Dream's stall at 10 full months. Before, she would have anywhere from 1/2 to 1/4 left in the AM. When her bucket (22 quarts)started being completely dry in the AM I put the second bucket in. She drinks at least one and a half buckets now in a 12 hour span. She doesn't touch her salt or mineral block.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 176
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 04:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I HAD TO UP MINE AT ABOUT 7MTHS AND NOW SHE HAS SLOWED DOWN AGAIN ON THE DRINKING

Wow kris - real close then now - we hope....... looking forward to the next arrival! : )

E.Watkins - She knows better than to take a swipe at me, I trust her that it is just threats normally - This once I let her off as I did put her feed down and then go and grab at her belly, not exactly fair, I usually try and give her her space when shes eating as long as if I need to do her feet or change her rug I can (and I can). It wasnt malicious, but she wont get away with it on another occasion.
I agree with what your saying though.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris- what's the latest? how's she doing ?
No new babies for us last night, I have a feeling that we'll get a couple dropped on us this weekend. (which is better, this is one of our LESS busy weekends)
Kim- I get what you are saying, I've done things before that warranted a negative reaction and felt like I deserved it, I try to respect the horse the same as I want to be respected, it's when they are out of line for the sake of dominance that I have issues with mine. (and I don't see that too often) Hopefully, she'll have that foal and feel better soon and not be so crabby.

Kris Moos
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 274
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E-Watkins-ohh, crabby yes! i tried to just look this am (no baby by the way) at her udder, and wow,she TRIED to let me have it! I fixed that though, she got "spanked" and i grabbed her head turned it sideways towards me and held it as i looked under her ( i figured if the picked up a foot she would lose bablance and not succed), that worked well she behaved and let me look and feel! changes, well she is wide again, and she actually stod on all 4's with hind legs apart insted of together so i could check her udder, funny how it changes when they stand up straight! she actually looks like she may developing one! I am hoping that she has a few weeks and will develope one.(although the waiting is killing me!) The vet did call yesterday late aftenoon, he said wait another week since it appears she may be starting, but he said make sure i either know where to get colostrum or have some on hand "JUST IN CASE". and he said if she foals without a bag baby will need colostrum and milk replacer for a few days till hormones kick in. He is really thinking she may just be very relaxed due to size of foal and that she will hold out and develope a bag. he said the issue with first foal was she did not let her milk down but it was there, not developing a bag is a whole different issue!
so i guess maybe i am gonna get lucky and she will develope a bag!!!(YEAH!) so teh waiting is really on...but you can bet i will really be checking her ALOT!!! oh and she is eating like a pig!! but still really sucking down the water!
so hopefully she is in milk production!!!
thanks for asking!
well hopefully this weekend for you, wouldnt that be ideal? let us know...any new signs with your girls?

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 220
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris- nothing different really, I checked the barn before I left for work this morning. Avery was covered in sawdust from rolling, and she's been laying around grunting & groaning off and on but still no big change in her udder. It's firm to the touch, but not full like I'd expect before she'd foal, she's 323 days now, but a maiden, so I could have a little wait. The funny thing about her is she was the FIRST to show changes in her udder and that started the first part of Feb, so she could surprise me any time and actually get a full bag AFTER she foals. Daisy is now 330 days, I thought she'd foal the other night the way she was acting, but nope.. and this morning I couldn't see any difference.(and I don't get too close to her because she WILL kick you, she's nasty..and she likely won't get to keep that foal too long as we don't want it to develop her attitude. also, we'll be able to correct her once the foaling is over, for now, she just gets scolded but not really corrected for her nastiness) Sassy is 328 days and she too isn't showing anything different than she has all week, their udders are all about 1/2 what I'd expect to see when they foal..but Sage changed over night..that's the sign I'm waiting for..it'll happen eventually, I just have to be patient.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corr, patience - isnt that just something we all need... And the more new babies I see on this board the more green I get with the envy! the crabbiness is on and off - some days shes really cuddly, some days...not so much : ) She wickered for her tea when I got there this morning but still wasnt too keen on me searching for baby.Funny animal.

Glad to hear you both think you might be getting bags for your babies after all - Its much simpler if the bag just forms like its meant to!!! All this trying to confuse us, will she, wont she - Cant they just all get the same syptoms at the same stage so we know when babies arriving (I know, I know, what fun would it be then!!) But I have to try and work a two week holiday around the birth of this baby so that I can be there!!

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 221
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim- no kidding, ( about the patience thing ) if it were totally predicatable though, it wouldn't be nearly as exciting..lol. The guess work can make it fun, up to a point. LOL. The last foal we lost was out of a mare we'd bought at auction, we had no idea she'd been on fescue, she foaled (no warning it was coming) and had no milk. We tried everything we could, but in the end the foal didn't make it, it was very sad and I'd hate for anyone to have to go through what we experienced. The poor little foal was a fighter, I called him Tyson (after Mike Tyson the boxer) for the short time he was with us.

Kim Winter
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 180
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arghhh - We bought out own lttle tyson from a dealer, He was a tiny iron grey Welsh sec A - Beautiful, he was only about4/5 mths and had been seperated from mum, we snapped him up and about 4 mths later a guy bought him as a surprise for his wife on their aniversary. He had a beautiful home to go to. I dont normally do that, but we shared a farm with a dealer on the other side and she had some horror stories! Sometimes you just would rather buy them and starve yourself wouldnt you! My girl was from a place renowned for this and Im just sure she was fate - She was way too special to be where she was for no reason and all her backround and her owner before she got there is like a fairytale.

Im sorry about your tyson, I wonder what it is that drives us to carry on anyway after a set back like that. Well done to you- this being my first bred foal - I am just praying for the best. Like I say though - Everything about my mare just seems to have been so protected up till now..

Heres hoping I get plenty of warning so I can get my holiday right - Whats the betting she has it right on the last night so that I get to be there for the birth but cant play with the baby because I am back at work in the day!!!

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 224
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim- you would not believe the condition of some of the horses we've bought at auction, we fit them up, get them healthy and trained and then they end having good homes and probably work very little.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US