SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Worming mare and foal heat scours

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Worming mare and foal heat scours « Previous Next »

Paula Rollins
Neonate
Username: Paula

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi I have read that if you worm the mare the day of the delivery that it will stop the foal from getting the foal heat scours. The thought is that parasites being shed in the mares milk are what causes the scours in the foal. Is this true and is it safe for mare and foal to be wormed on the day of birth? Also has anyone done this and has it worked? thanks!

Deena
Breeding Stock
Username: Morganslil1

Post Number: 246
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yeah it works im a believer.

Paula Rollins
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Deena,I am going to try it this spring, I just found a thread that explains my concerns and answered my questions, Thanks again

Gynna Meiller
Breeding Stock
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 04:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have done it for years and have NEVER had a case of scours in my foals! I use only ivemtrine(sp) types of de-wormers as they are safe for pregnant and lactating mares..good luck with your foal!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10495
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The two advantages of using Ivermectin within 12 hours of foaling are seperate and distinct, not connected:
  1. It prevents the transfer of the larvae of Strongylus westerii in the mares milk to the foal;
  2. It reduces or eliminates the incidence of foal heat scours.
Essentially as was outlined above, but they are not connected - the worms do not cause the scours. It is now thought that the scouring is as a result of the foal consuming environmental "bugs" and having a slightly upset stomach.

No matter the details - it's still worth doing for the end result!!! :-)

Paula Rollins
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, do you mean bacteria from the udder and other environmental places or parasites from manure and soil? Very interesting,so it helps because the foal is recieving some of the ivermectin in the milk? Why does it stop the upset stomach? Thanks for your reply!

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 393
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It stops the transfer of the parasite in the mares milk, there fore not giving them the squirts. It is believed that the scours are from the introduction of the parasite into the foal through the milk and not related to the foal heat just by accident that the foal heat and scours occur at the same time.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10498
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By "bugs" I meant environmental pathogens (bacteria).

It's not understood why the Ivermectin has an impact on the foal as far as reducing or eliminating the scours are concerned - we're just glad it does!! :-)

Kim: As you will notice in my post above "foal heat" scours are NOT caused by the transfer of Strongylus westerii larvae in the mares milk.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 395
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 08:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I see that in your post Jos, from things I seem to have read and understanding they were connecting the two together. scours/paraisite and not connecting the scours/foal heat. If this is not the case how does the ivermectrin affect the foal in order not to create scours, that happens about the same time as the foal heat?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 10499
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As previously noted, it's not clear why the Ivermectin has an impact on the foal as far as reducing the scours are concerned, but it is known that the scours are not caused by Strogylus westerii.

Rebecca Kate Smith
Weanling
Username: Iheartskeetles

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i wormed my mare 15 minutes after foaling with zimectrin as reccomended by the people of these boards. no scours or diarrhea as of yet and mare is doing fine. i'll let you know how the next couple of weeks goes. so far the foal is 3 days old.

Meghan Nichols
Neonate
Username: Mekn

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare foaled yesterday. I have not wormed her yet. Should I go ahead now or is it too late?

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 294
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

de-worm that mare!
AND we want pics ASAP :-)

Meghan Nichols
Neonate
Username: Mekn

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will Do!

[URL=http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/8/21212074229.jpg&s=f10][img]http://f10.putfile.com/thumb/8/21212074229.jpg[/img][/URL]

[URL=http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/8/21212051946.jpg&s=f10][img]http://f10.putfile.com/thumb/8/21212051946.jpg[/img][/URL]

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US