SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Septic foal

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Septic foal « Previous Next »

Nicole Hoffmann
Neonate
Username: Aussiegirl

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone, I am brand new here but have been 'lurking' and reading for a while.
The story so far:
First time breeder and a maiden mare 5yo. Gave birth to a beautiful filly 3 weeks early from 'due date' - filly small but up and feeding quickly and passed first stools quickly. Filly's first week was textbook - vet came and checked placenta and all was normal, filly was feeding well, naturally curious and full of beans and life, was down on her hind hocks initially but straightened out as tendons got stronger within a coup,e of days.
Day 8- foal sluggish, lethargic, hobbling with a limp in front offside. I called vet immediately, foal deteriorated during the day, not feeding much, shivering, limping. Vet did igG test - less than 400 so we gave immediate bag of plasma and
started antibiotics via intramuscular injection twice a day.
Yesterday, day 10, filly has a bit more life in her, limp is more pronounced, no injury visible to area, does not appear to be sensitive or cause pain to touch, slight swelling (barely noticeable). Blood tests came back confirming severe septicemia and vet added another antibiotic to the list. Filly's temp has come back down, no longer has a fever, now within normal range. Up and feeding more frequently but not as much as initially.

My questions are this: vet will not give indication of odd of survival - I can appreciate this but can anyone give some perspective here?? Feel like my heart is breaking while I watch my little girl struggle and fight.

If she survives will the limp etc (which we think is the localized septicemia) effect her performance later in life - she is very well bred from cutting and reining lines and had super potential?

I know there probably isn't anything else I can be doing but does anyone have some suggestions or wisdom??

Thanks

Vet will not give us odds of survival

Michelle R Hamilton
Weanling
Username: Michelleh

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Nicole,I am so sorry to read your story:-(I don't know anything about yor problem so I can't help.I cant imagine having to go through somthing like that after waiting for 11 months.Hopefully you have found out something by now.I am on foal watch,just checking post's.I will be sending prayers and best wishes your way!

Cheryl Johnson
Neonate
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can only assume that by now this issue has been resolved, one way or another. I hope the outcome was positive.

I never understand why vets don't automatically test the IgG within 24 hours of birth. I have forgotten what the ideal time is. Seems like after 12 hours, but not sure.

Anyway, I hope your little filly is "full of beans," again.

Brenda Weddle
Breeding Stock
Username: 3_horses

Post Number: 378
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nicole, what happened with your filly? Is she ok?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US