SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Foaling signs

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Foaling signs « Previous Next »

Mindy Lanier
Neonate
Username: Mindyj

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2011 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi there! I was wondering if anyone can tell me some signs of foaling. My mini mare has a huge bag and has had milk for 2wks. When I checked her today..the milk seemed more white. Shes also standing alone in her stall. This is my first horse and baby!! We raise broilers,cows, and pigs..no horses..so im completely in the dark.Im also a nervous wreck..!! I got the mother nature milk test strips but they show one color in the foaling range and one color in the non foaling range..Any ideas of what else to look for?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 4052
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI Mindy! Visit a site called www.yellowhouseranch.com and theres a link on the left about foaling. It has tons of information thats easy to understand!! Or you could post pics here :-)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4053
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 12:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

milk will be extremely sticky, and turn from sweet to salty.....temp drops to around 99....ph drops below 7....those are the best signs :-)

Mindy Lanier
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 02:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok! I will check that site out and check her temp.. Shes was still standing in the same spot in the stall the last I checked. She never stands there ! She has been the last 2 days. Im so excited! I have never seen a baby foal before! When I married my husband 3 yrs ago..I went into farming. I used to be a nurse!!! I love farming way better!!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4054
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol!!Would be a great idea if your local library carries it to get a book called "Blessed are the broodmares"....it presents alot of useful situations and what to dos.....i have been breeding /foaling for years and still read it every year before foals begin arriving. :-)

Mindy Lanier
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will have to check that out:-) Molly still hasnt foaled. Shes still standing alone at the end of stall. Lastnight she had the wax substance on both teets. I will try checking her temp this afternoon. Ths is so tricky lol Oh shes agressive more than usual. I'm the only one she will let near her.Thanks for all you very helpful suggestions and advice:-)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4055
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

taking her temp at the same time of night each night will give you a more accurate assessment of her condition. Temp changes thruout the day, so be consistent in the time you take it :-)

Mindy Lanier
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok I will do that!! How long does a pony usually produce milk before going into labor. I've noticed milk for the last 3 weeks. Ive noted its more thicker and more white the last couple of days. I ordered that book that you recommended. I read some of the highlights from it and find it very interesting and helpful:-)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4056
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

id' have gone to barnes and noble to buy it...doesn't sound like you have much time LOL
Can you post pics to photobucket or facebook, and put the link here? Keep an eye on that vulva and the shape of her udder....It will be noticeable changes. IF she had wax on her teats, she's probably pretty close. Usually minis dont go but a day or so with wax...and it's unusual for them to get it at all...take pics of her udder and vulva and post them here!

Mindy Lanier
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok! How do you post pics? I have a facebook account. It was a crusting on her teets that I assumed was wax lol. But yeah Id love to post pics!! I purchased the book off ebay..hopefully the baby will get here before the book lol... It will come in handy for my other little mini tht im going to breed..This time im going to pay close attention to when it gets bred lol With Molly..I have no idea!!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4057
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2011 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm hoping the baby DOESN'T come before the book....as it can be a real lifesaver in a situation that minis are KNOWN for! you can either post a pic to a public photo album on facebook, or you can post them to photobucket.com (free) and post the links here

Mindy Lanier
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I went and checked her again.. her teets are seperated ;pointed outward, her tail is pointed out as if she needs to have a bowel movement. The milk is white but not sticky.. Oh and she's swishing her tail as if shes knocking flies off. Her cervix has dilated with a noted "white sheath" like substance. What do you think? Does the milk have to be sticky or can that come after she foals? Yes, I agree ...I need that book!! :-)

(Message edited by mindyj on October 22, 2011)

Mindy Lanier
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g337/mindylanier/

Mindy Lanier
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally figured it out lol... These are a few I took from my cell phone tonight. When I get batteries for camera tomorrow..I will make better ones. What do you think from these?

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4060
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, i'd love to help, but it's hard to see those photos. It's easiest if you take shots from far away, so you can get an accurate assessment of body shape. in the minis, squat down at belly level to take photos from about 20 ft away. Try to get strait side shots, and strait from behind shots. How would you know her cervix has dialated? You wouldn't really see it, unless you went in looking....?

Mindy Lanier
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will try tomorrow with a camera. I did open her up some. She didnt like it at all! I was using resources based on my nursing skills and what I had learned reading a previous website. Totally different than people!! Well I think so anyways. Isnt that her waterbag showing? Or how is that on horses? Im talking about the white sheath material inside her . I will post those pics tomorrow if she hasnt had it! Its so interesting to watch and learn..however , I learned real quick to leave it to experts such as yourself:-)

Michelle R Hamilton
Neonate
Username: Michelleh

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mindy,I am waiting as well :-)only with a full size mare which happens to be doing things way different then my other mares did,and as I am by no meens an expert,Diana has been giving me helpful advice also.You hear & read so many different things sometimes it's hard to tell what info is correct and what is not!Diana seems to know exactly what she is doing & talking about though.I definatly trust and am thankful for her help on here!I was about to prematurely have the vet out :-( anyway I love the mini's,they are so cute!They make you just want to grab them up and snuggle them!You are lucky to be getting a new foal,I can't wait to see your photo's of baby :-) How many days gestation is she?I am going to try to figure out photobucket today.I started a thread a couple of days ago about interrupting my mares labor.GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4062
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 02:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys ....I am by no means an 'expert', but have done, seen, and learned ALOT over years of breeding mares. I have my mares on live cam when they foal, and we have a 100% success rate of knowing when they will foal and being present. (as well as having MANY viewers catch it live as well). It takes diligence, patience, and seeing many many mares foal to truly know what to look for. I spent years filtering out the 'fluff and nonsense' that you hear from alot of people claiming to know it all.....it's not easy when you first start breeding, it takes experience looking at lots of udders and hoo has (and the ph test strips are extremely handy) to know what night to expect a foal.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4063
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ordinarily on this site, you'd have a million people offering advice....it's kind of a slow time of the year, foaling in October! :-)

Mindy Lanier
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michelle, I have no idea when she got bred!! THis is first time I have owned a horse!!We have a farm and raise 90,000 chickens for pilgrims pride every 6wks and we have angus cattle we raise. I had no idea about farm life untill I married my husband!! I gave up nursing completely and do farming full time.. I love it!!I will pay so much more attention to when she gets bred next time . Diana experience is what makes you an expert:-) When I was a nurse I had older CNA's that actually knew more than me because they had seen so much!! (I was R.N). I didnt know there was a foaling season lol... Is this a bad time of year? I got a few more pics of Molly..hopefully you can tell more from them. Oh her milk strips have changed colors to the foal range. I don't have the ph strips. I got the mother nature foal strips. I bet the PH strips are cheaper!!

Mindy Lanier
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a few more pictures. I posted one of me and "trigger" The daddy !!http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g337/mindylanier/

Michelle R Hamilton
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mindy,He is very handsome!Now ready for the baby pics!:-) Diana,I am thankful for your "experience"aka expertise!I know where I live october is a very slow time for foaling,not ideal at all,usually real cold.I'm not sure why she was bred at this time of year.If I had not have bought her already bred I would have waited until late spring for our area.Luckily we are having a very mild october this year!I just wish my mare would take advantage of the warm sunny days right now instead of foaling at night when it is so much colder:-(

Mindy Lanier
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you!! I cant wait until baby gets here! Thats my worry... I'm afraid of the cool temps at night. I went and checked Molly a bit ago and she has no noticeable changes since last time. This is nerve wrecking ! lol... Espically when you have no clue what to do ! Its like being a mother for the first time who runs to L&D every other night lol:-)

Mindy Lanier
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 06:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh one more thing..Do horses experience the ''braxton hicks'' contractions like we do when pregnant? I just noticed tighting off and on around her abdomen. Thanks again!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4065
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know much about the mother nature foal strips, as I usually just use ph strips and hard water testing strips from the pool supply. But that belly looks DROOPY to me LOL!! without knowing what her udder looks like,theres really nothing new i can say. If she's testing within range on the test strips, then I wouldn't take my eyes off her for a second! One way to know is to taste her milk....if it's really salty, she's probably got another night...if it's tasteless or sweet, it's ON!

Mindy Lanier
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh !! I can taste it? I will try lol... Id get u a pic of her udders but shes acting a little "ill" towards me lol

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2434
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mindy, (and Michelle too) And dont forget My Diana.....I am also waiting on a maiden mare to foal. She will be 302 days on November 1st. Her foaling thread will be started then.

Good to see other late foalings. Best wishes for yalls Mares and foals during foaling.

Mindy Lanier
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, I tasted it and it didnt really taste like anything. It might have had a small hint of salt. Holly, good luck to you as well!

Michelle R Hamilton
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey guys,I have got some photos uploaded to photobucket but I dont know how to get them on here.I know it is probably so simple but beyond email and facebook,stuff like that,i'm clueless on the computer!help?!?!thanks!!! :-)

Michelle R Hamilton
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 09:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Silly me Diana!I just seen your post on our other conversation!sorry!I will try to put photo's on :-)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4066
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Send it to holly, she'll taste it...she just LOVES mare milk! ROFLMAO!!!!! (took me a LONG time to talk holly into the taste test) hahaha!!

Mindy Lanier
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 09:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh gosh..i wasnt thrilled lol i had to research it
I read were people drink it...kinda blew my mind lol

Mindy Lanier
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was I supposed to drink a little bit? I hate milk of any kind lol I just dabbed my finger in it after thinking a bit... Im desperate as to when shes going to foal!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4067
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dont drink it, just touch it to your tongue
haha!! no mare milk shots!!

Michelle R Hamilton
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have put pics. on under the ready and waiting foal watch 2010-2011.thread-did i disturb my mare....:-)If anyone wants to take a look and tell me what you think,that would be great!!thanks!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4069
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just did!

Mindy Lanier
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michelle..Thats a beautiful horse! I dont know a thing about them though lol.. relying on Diana through all of this!! Diana, I did it right then..I dabbed my finger ..I cant believe I did that. My husband thinks I've lost my mind!! lol He knows everything about cattle, chickens, and pigs. Nothing about horses..he admits it to lol.. He had to read where you told me to try that lol Oh do you suggest I look at her every 2 hours?

Michelle R Hamilton
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MINDY,IM GLAD TO SEE YOU TOOK THE TASTE TEST!LOL.I only wish I had milk to taste right now!To many more sleepless nights I may not be able to function well enough to care for a newborn!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4071
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is it possible to go out, hold your camera near the ground under her, snap an udder shot, and upload it? The mares are smart....they know when you check if you're on schedule, and you can BET they will have it right after you walk out the door and even before you get back into your jammies LOL If you're in foaling range (12-24hrs) and no camera, I'd probably make camp at the barn somewhere away from her stall if possible

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4072
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and take her temp!! LOL

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4073
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michelle, you got no milk in that udder??

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2436
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH Gosh I hate Tasting it UGH!!!!!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4074
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's an acquired taste LOL

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2437
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, sure is. I posted tonights pics of Kate in her Kiss me Kate thread in foaling 2011.

Mindy Lanier
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michelle,I didnt like doing that lol... I would take a snapshot of her udder but I had a bad exp with a goat. I was looking at her udders one time and she literally dragged me down and I broke my leg!! I just got my cast off 2 wks ago.! So embarrassing when I had to explain how in the ER where I used to work lol... Id love to post them and get a good opinion. Maybe I can con hubby into taking it.:-)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4075
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

omg! bad goat!! lol that is a helluva story though!

Mindy Lanier
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it is... I never dreamed goats would do that.!! We laugh now about it but wasnt funny at the time!!

Michelle R Hamilton
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeeze Mindy!what must have been going through your mind...like how am i going to explain this,and ouch,that really hurts!at least you can laugh about it now:-)

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4077
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

regardless of udder pics, if the test strips say she's within 12-24 hrs, and her milk is not salty, i wouldnt' take my eyes off her....heck , she maybe foaling right now :-)

Mindy Lanier
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Michelle... The ER coworkers laughed so hard after they gave me my pain shot lol... diane I will run back over and check... How long do you stay on here? lol I will so panic if something goes wrong, I have vet on my cell. I just wished I knew more about them so i could help more if I'm needed.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4079
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If i'm not here, you might catch me on my site...my (and hollys) barn cams are live and there is a chat at http://www.mysticrockminis.com/LiveCams.html :-)

Mindy Lanier
Weanling

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shes fine for now... Diane thats so awesome!! Never heard of that!! checking it out now!

Mindy Lanier
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was watching the foaling videos... Is it quite common to have to pull the foal out? That has me nervous!! Do you sometimes have to cut the cord? Or does it come off without help? These videos are so amazing!! I need cameras!!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4080
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL....usually, i do not like to pull a foal. I will usually let a mare go until it's just evident shes far too exhausted and isn't making any progress. I try never to cut the cord....but sometimes there's no avoiding it. When the foal is born, let it and mom lay still as long as possible. If one of them gets up and breaks the cord, that's fine. The placenta will still be hanging out of mom....leave it alone, tie it up to itself, so she doesn't step on it and pull it out...you want it to pass naturally and whole...not with pieces missing!! if the mare should pass the placenta before it breaks from the foal, just wait till the foal stands, and usually just pulling downward on the cord will break it in the right spot. if that doesn't work, tie it close to the body, and cut it off. I think it is more common in minis to have to assist with foalings (ONLY when the mare is contracting!!) but i usually do not pull unless we're in a situation. Many times, I will simply apply traction to help the mare along without actually pulling.

Michelle R Hamilton
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2011 - 01:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Mindy,I will keep watching through the night,I am going to try to get a few hours of sleep though since Diana thinks I may have a little time left!I hope you keep posting and keep us updated,foal or no foal :-)

Michelle R Hamilton
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2011 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No foal for me thismorning Mindy, how about you?

Mindy Lanier
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2011 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No...she's being complicated lol. Me and my dad have been taking turns watching her. He thought for sure she would foal lastnight.

Mindy Lanier
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2011 - 03:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I go back for next check.. I will try to get a pic of teets and udders.:-)

Mindy Lanier
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2011 - 04:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a few pics... Not real sure what you can tell by them.. Molly seems so sad looking:-(. She's pacing a lot . Her vulva would have opened wider. Since i'm new to this it sortive freaked me out to open any wider. It looks somewhat more red than what the picture shows and udders look way larger. It was hard to get a good shot.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4083
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2011 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG! where do you live? In the alaskan tundra?? LOL...i've never seen so much hair on an udder LOL it's really hard to tell much thru the shag carpeting, but typically, the crease in between the two udder halves will go away, and become completely flat between the two halves. How is she testing today?

Michelle R Hamilton
Weanling

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 03:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mindy,the mares temp should go down just a tiny bit i guess,about 1 degree or less i think...and only just a day or two before foaling...Diana,is this right?even though our vet told us we could check this last time,we got a themometer just for the horse,(not a digital one though,we were told to get the mercury type,next time I will get digital,easier!) we never ended up having to use it.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3421
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 05:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have discussed temperature changes prior to foaling previously on this board several times, but the general summation is that it is not a reliable predictor. Here is a copy of what I have previously written:

quote:

Be cautious relying on rectal temperature changes to predict parturition. The results are variable depending upon the time the mare is going to foal and you may even not see a change. There is a change in core temperature, but one cannot easily take the core temperature of a horse (big core!).

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 4084
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

true, Jos, it is not a reliable predictor on it's own. But (not to be arguementative) if you have no experience, and do not see/notice the basic signs, it's at least something that can be found helpful. Over the last couple years, I have been doing rectal temps, and found that in all of my mares but 2, the temp actually does drop the night of foaling...and it's a noticeable drop. (from about 100.1 to 98.5) One of the other 2 mares temps actually went UP, and it was a noticeable amount as well. And the other never changed enough to notice. I would never try to use this as my only source of information, but have found it helpful in the otherwise sneaky mares. Of course you cannot get the core temperature, and ambient temperature can affect your results...but it's better than nothing sometimes :-)

Michelle R Hamilton
Weanling

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you both for the info,every little bit helps!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US