SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mares getting milk early?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Mares getting milk early? « Previous Next »

E Watkins
Weanling
Username: Evie

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, now I'm beginning to really worry/wonder what in the word is going on in our barn. We are up to 6 mares now showing changes in their udders and the earliest one will not be 320 days till March 6th. There is no question as to when they were bred as we live cover and sonogram at the 18-21 mark. I'm wondering if there could be something in the feed that is causing this? or could it be that their gestation could be shortened by being stalled and under lights about 14 hours a day? Last year, we did have a mare foal at 311 days and a few maidens that foaled around the 330 day mark. We've had a very mild winter also.. could that be affecting things? I'm hoping someone else out there has had this happen and can enlighten me.

Kris Moos
Yearling
Username: Kris

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is showing increased udder changes daily, she is only 275 days! i talked to the vet he said he is seeing a lot of that this year and that he is seeing many go a month early. worries me too!
good aluck to ya! keep us posted!

Terri Berwanger
Weanling
Username: Terrib

Post Number: 38
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare usually has a spring to her udder at day 300 like clockwork. This year she started at 280. She is now 296 days and once she sprung she has really just stayed the same. It goes back down some too. Was very worried myself, but things seem to be alright, she doing everything else right and baby is kicking up a storm. I'm in Ireland, so I don't think it would be geographical. Also my mare foals around 331 days, but thinking she might be a bit earlier. I have a maiden due at the same time and she is doing nothing and she is 302days.
teb

Gynna Meiller
Yearling
Username: Jw_kings_excalibur

Post Number: 94
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keeping the mares under lights can reduce their gestation by up to two weeks I've heard. Its been a wiered winter here in Texas too.( no winter at all LOL)

E Watkins
Weanling

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same here Gynna, no winter, well, except for one week in early December..lol I've never heard that about the lights, and it's not an intentional thing that we do, they just come on at chore time and stay on till after lessons are done and the horses are put up around 9 at night.

My young mare is now 284 days, but she started showing changes two weeks ago. I'll feel much better in about 3 weeks if she's still carrying that foal. We have 6 others (all due in March at various times) that also are showing marked changes so I think it's going to be an early foaling season here in KS as well. I'm very excited, but also very anxious. I have a photo of my mare if someone can tell me how to post it, I'd be glad to share.

Kathee McGuire
Yearling
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E Watkins - go to photobucket.com and open a free account. The steps are very easy for downloading the pics and once your have done that, you just copy the link name to your album and paste it into your post.

Lisa Weir
Breeding Stock
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 05:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's interesting to hear of you guys having no winter to speak of. It's supposed to be summer where I am and we haven't had much more than an extended spring.
Keep us posted, E!

Emma
Breeding Stock
Username: Emma

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 07:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lisa I am in Vic and we had the hottest humid couple of days the other day, you could have cut the air with a knife. We never ever have humidity here. It is always hot and dry heat .... we all melted away! that sort of weather should be left to the banana benders! lol

E Watkins
Yearling

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

isn't the weather really strange this year?

I learned from Jos just this week that being indoors under the lights might well have shortened the gestation cycle of our mares. I will be very surprised if we don't have several that are 330 days or less, maybe MUCH less. I'm just hoping that they are healthy babies. Speeding up the process was not our intention, we just have folks in the barns all day long so the lights are always on.

BTW, yesterday was sunny and 64.. incredible for being January 31st!

Kris Moos
Yearling
Username: Kris

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my horses are not under ANY lights except sunlight and moonlight...so what is her excuse for getting ready so early?
crazy girl...she just wants to be done i think...you know like us humans, we think if we get ready earlier than maybe the baby will come early knowing we are ready...it desnt work like that though does it ladies? in our world or hte horse world...

Alex Abel
Neonate
Username: Paintedhorses

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our pregnant mares were moved to our barn paddock due to the fact that our pastures are just burnt up from lack of rain. There is a city light there that is always on at night, however it doesnt illuminate the whole paddock. the mares have been in that paddock for a little over a month. I wonder if that makes a difference. But speaking of weather, we havent had a winter at all. Our horses didnt even grow a winter coat ( and my horse usualy looks like a teddy bear in winter). We've had temps in the mid 70's and 60's the whole time through January. Its crazy. It wouldnt surprise me if climate changes have an effect on our horses. Just like mares which are kept under lights for breeding purposes like syncronization (sp?) of heat cycles in recepient mares. Maybe someone who knows more about this could go into detail about climate and lights ?

E Watkins
Yearling

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the milder temperatures can make a difference too in the length of gestation (but that's just an opinion) It seems when we have a very cold, hard winter, even the mares indoors are late in foaling, when the weather is warm like it's been this year, they seem to come much earlier. As the period of light does not change (inside our barn) from one year to the next, maybe it is more the temperatures that affect them? (Which would explain why Kris' outdoor mare is doing the same thing)

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Jos

Post Number: 10443
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As in induction of cyclicity, light is the primary driving factor for gestational duration, not heat. If there isn't increased light, then you can have all the heat you want and you won't see a difference with either.

E Watkins
Yearling

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I see the difference in colder winters more then because of less activity in the barn when the temperatures are REALLY cold. i.e. no one is there so the lights get turned off more? That would certainly explain the patterns I've seen. The mares that were bred first are now at 297, 292 & 290 days. I would bet that within the next 2-3 weeks, we'll have babies. (let's just hope they are healthy ones)

E Watkins
Yearling

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just wanted to update, the mares are now past the 300 day mark, some have marked changes in their udders, others seem to be about the same as they were a three weeks ago.. maybe we will make it to 320+ days after all.

Terri Berwanger
Yearling

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare that started making a bag at 280 days is now at 321 days. Everything is normal and going to plan. I'd say she has a week to 10 days left.
Terri

E Watkins
Yearling

Post Number: 95
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terri- I still think we'll have some pretty early foals, but hopefully no premature ones, which is what I was worried about initially. My grulla mare foaled at 330 days last year and she was a maiden, which I thought normally were a little late. She's one of the "early baggers" this year, she's at 308 days now and showing more signs of getting close. I almost wish I didn't know when they were bred, then I'd worry less. LOL.

Terri Berwanger
Yearling

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I totally agree with you on not knowing when they were bred! Still no foal and I don't really think she's that close, well close in like tomorrow close. Our other mare who is 328 days has no bag, but is making loads of other changes. She is a maiden so I have no diary on her.
Good Luck!
Terri

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terri, this is a filly out of my maiden mare and our gray stallion from last year, she was born right at 335 days I believe. She still has that coloring, but I do believe when she sheds that winter coat she'll be gray underneath
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e23/Watehen/Filly2.jpg

Terri Berwanger
Yearling

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is so gorgeous! They are just so cute when that small! What a nice mare too. Such a pretty silver color!
Terri

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US