SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare Bleeding after very quick foaling

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Mare Bleeding after very quick foaling « Previous Next »

Renee
Yearling
Username: Reneec

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 12:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Had a little colt born thismorning at 7.50am.
He was born very very quickly, in the short time of about 3-4mins. The bag didnt break, so we had to go in a pull it off his head, and the mare had already jumped up and was standing beside him nuzzling him, so there was very litle transfer of blood.
The mare was showing signs of abdominal pain about 30mins after he was born. She was laying down often (not rolling) and doing big stretches, and she kept bleeding from the vulva. The vet said it could be that she has had a little tear, which would heal itself, or that she may have displaced something with such a quick birth, and this would involve surgery to correct. She has had a shot of penicilian and some muscle relaxant at the moment, and it has just gone 4.5hours since she had them. So far so good, she doesnt seem to be hurting. (hopefully she'll stay this way, and there will be no need for my concern).
I was wondering if there is any thing else that this could be? The vet said he could not feel any tears when he did a rectal and felt her uterus, but he also said he didnt want to feel around too much as she was very uncomfortable with him in there, and as she is a mini, he didnt want to damage things more by poking around.
The vet had a look at the placenta, and said it came out whole- so that is not the problem.
She is eating well, and letting the colt drink.
She has not done a poo since, but she did about 8 or 10 through the night leading up to the birth, and she has eaten thismorning. She was also drenched with oil to help her "move things" if this was the problem.
The vet also said she has no gut sounds and that her heart rate was a little elevated.
At the moment, i am hoping it was just a small tear, and as she seems alot happier now, and has stopped bleeding that she is ok, but is there anything else we should be considering??
This is her 7th foal, and she is 12yo
Thanks for any input!!
Renee

Rooty (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everything sounds like it's right on track to me, except the elevated heartbeat. I would continue to monitor her, but I don't think I'd be panicking. It isn't unusual for mares to go close to 24 hours after foaling without passing manure. More than 24 hours and I would be calling the vet. I always start my mares on bran mashes once they are about 2-3 days out from foaling and keep them on bran for 3-4 days post-foaling too. Hope everything'll be fine.

Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep an eye on her capillary refill too.

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 165
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renee,
I too would not panic just yet with the information provided. Mares will continue to go up and down for up to a couple of hours after birth, they continue to have contractions to help shirk up the uterus after giving birth and to help expel all the after birth. The manure thing again too, just watch it , as long as she is eating she should pass something within the 24 hours, if she does not then I too would be calling the vet. Everything is very compact with the having the foal in there and when the foal moves for birth it puts pressure on everything else and can cause her to have problems with the first stool after birth... not uncommon, but just keep a eye on her and if the vet has already given her some oil then things should start to slide through and her system should be working---if she goes off all feed without having a bm then I would be concerned

Good luck and Congratulations

Renee
Yearling

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all, thanks for the replys.
**An update on the mare**
She went all night without showing any signs of pain at all. I did checks on her all through the night, and she was quite contently standing in her stall. This is good news...
My concern is she has hardly touched anything to eat, and has only drank about 1 litre of water all night. She hasnt passed anything (poo or wee). She isnt showing any signs of pain, and is happily letting the foal nurse etc. Her temp is fine. Her milk is still good. She is not dehydrated. She is not acting even the slightest bigt collicy.
The vet is coming back out again to have another look at her and see what else we can do to get her system flowing again... but this is 26.5hours after birth- surely she should be eating and passing her food by now???
I am so worried! Is this as serious as it sounds??

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 171
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renee, I had a mare this past spring, was a very experienced mare. Foaled for us many times , and never had any trouble.She foaled the first of April and went off grain totally would not eat. Everyone else in the barn was being fed the same grain and had no problem. I had a fresh batch of our own receipe mixed up and she chowed down. Make sure the feed is fresh. If its been in her stall for a day or two take it out and give her fresh hay and grain. Maybe try a differnent cutting of hay if you have more in the barn. If you are feeding alfalfa try a grassy mix. May be she is just being picky . Some horses like bread, or try other treats like apples and such to see if it temps her tummy , maybe it just what she has in front of her that she does not want. I learn this after 20 years :-) The mare never did this to us before and it was puzzeling to us. If she was totally empty before foaling (some empty before foaling and her food intake may have been low the day of foaling anyways) so it may take up to 48 hours, but anything after that would really worry me, especially if she is eating. One litre does not seem like enough to keep a mare hydrated with a nursing foal at her side. I would be worried with this. Her gums still pink and responding to pressure in a quick fashion? You know to push on her gums having the pink color go away and then it returns quickly?? Or grab the layer of skin up by her shoulder and see if it lays back down quickly, if it does not stretch back out over her shoulder quickly then she is dehydrating...

Renee
Yearling

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim,
I had been keeping an eye on her hydration as i too was worried about this. She was a bit dehydrated when the vet finally got here, so we dripped plenty of fluids into her. He felt around in her uterus again for a tear, but couldnt feel anything. As she is a mini, he couldnt get his hand in far enough to feel the back of the uterus, so she is being treated for a tear anyway.
She has been eating fresh grass that i picked for her, and has shown a little interest in her chaff. I made up a small pen outside in the shade on the grass, and have moved them both out here for the day to see if she'll keep eating the grass, and so far so good.. she has kept up with eating, and she has drank a bit too... so i am a bit happier now. Upon checking on her, there is a wet patch in the corner of the pen, where id say she has urinated. So i think things are picking up! Just waiting for her to pass some grass and then we know al systems are working again! :-)
At this stage i am confident that her tear doesnt turn into anything too major. She is on antibiotics and penicillan for 5 days to treat it, and fingers crossed there will be no infection arrising from it...
People must think us breeders are mad to do this every year!!! LOL

Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't sound to serious, but I would have gotten the vet out too! Glad to hear she's doing OK, and thanks for the update.

Renee
Yearling

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well my mare has fully recovered. She has finished her course of antibiotics, and she is back to her beautiful self. What a relief! Her and the colt are doing wonderfully! Thanks all :-)

Kim Winter
Weanling
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 06:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great to hear Renee - Enjoy your new addition : )

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US