SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Foal alert??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Foal alert?? « Previous Next »

Tammy Snell
Neonate
Username: Qcfarm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi-
Iam new to the board, well new to posting, I have been reading on this board for about 1 year and Iam finally getting closer to foaling for my first time, well the big day should be around the end of Feb. Anyhow I was talking to my vet yesterday about installing a camera system when the time comes closer. He suggested Foal Alert, he told me how it works and where it goes, but that is about all he knew about it. Could someone tell me some more about it, if you have had good luck with it etc etc. Also where you can purchase it. Thanks in advance.

Terri Berwanger
Neonate
Username: Terrib

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know anything about the foal alert, but even with that I would still suggest the camera. You can see everything that's happening and you shouldn't miss the birth. And even though you will be completely exhausted, you will be addicted to that TV. Personally I think I should get a big screen for watching the mares this year!

Rooty (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know there are people who are happy with the Foal Alert, but I decided against it for myself. Right now I use FoalWatch and my observations, we have only missed 2 out 11 foalings, and that was the same sneaky mare.
If I was going to add to my arsenal I would get a foaling camera and/or the halter alarm.

Tammy Snell
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rooty
Could you please tell me what the FoalWatch is? Is it the same, (just different name) as Foal Alert??? Are there any websites that this equipment can be purchased on??
Thanks!!

Joanna
Weanling
Username: Joanna

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foal watch is a milk test kit, and Foal alert is a type of alarm that is sutered into the mares vulva, when her water breaks, you are notified. If you put in a search on google or yahoo.com, you should be able to find more info.
Joanna

Lisa Weir
Yearling
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 06:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We use the halter alarms. I can't imagine why you would want to stitch something to your mare's vulva when there is a much less intrusive option....ouch!

I guess you would get less false alarms, but still, it wouldn't be my choice.

Cameras would be great, but you have to be awake to see when the mare starts foaling and I would think you're better off actually being with her as the camera wouldn't show if there was a bad presentation early enough, in my eyes. But I haven't used one, so am no expert there.

Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly Lisa! I also prefer to be in the barn already when the mare's water breaks, we have had a couple of premature placental detachments and every second counts with those, which is why I use the FoalWatch and my own observations, and basically stake out the barn, at least with the FoalWatch I know I won't be sleepless and off work for more than 3 days. I would like a halter alarm because obviously I do come in the house from time to time, then if a mare did decide to try and sneak a foaling I could hustle out there. I do like the idea of a camera for those times when you're pretty sure she's not going to foal in the next few hours, then you don't have to haul your butt off the couch to go out and look, also less disruptive for the mare. However the budget doesn't extend to such fancy devices!

Tammy Snell
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 11:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, thanks now here is my next question, what is and how does the halter alarm work??

Its a good thing you guys are so patient with these questions!!

Lisa Weir
Yearling
Username: Pals_pal

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The halter alarm is a little box that is attached to the halter, under the mare's chin. There is a receiver that you plug into the mains in the house, or barn or wherever you will be sleeping. When the box is tipped on it's side for a couple of seconds, it sets off the alarm in the receiver. You can't sleep through that noise, let me tell you!
Anyway, there are two possible problems with this alarm. The first is that if the mare lays down for a sleep, rolls or even rubs her head on the fence, you can be woken up many times for nothing. The second is that on very rare occaisions, a mare may not lay down to foal, or until it is too late to do much to prevent a fistula.
The vast majority of the time, though, this is an excellent device.
I have also seen advertising for an alarm that is attached to a surcingle and moniters the mare's heartbeat and perspiration, warning you earlier than the halter alarm. I have never spoken to anyone using this one, though, so can't offer you any information on it.

Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vet has a halter alarm that only goes off if the mare stays down for more than 60 seconds - that cuts down on the false alarms, but I wouldn't use it as my first line of foaling alarms. I do think it's a great idea as a back-up and certainly would have saved me a few sleepless nights with my one mare this year who went the full 72 hours after hitting 200ppm on the FoalWatch!

Renee
Yearling
Username: Reneec

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tammy,
There are quite a few different styles of foaling alarms that can be bought. I have heard mixed resposes on all of them, as i have been doing a bit of research on them myself because i am planning on buying one. Here are some websites that i have found that give you prices, explanations, and you can buy them. Hope this helps- i think i have settled with the halter alarm for my mares, as they are minis, and i think this is the best option for them;

http://foalert.com/
www.magicbreed.com.au
http://www.foalingalarm.com/
http://www.kingstons.net.au/category63_1.htm

This sight has some comments from people who have had different experiences with different alarms, and they talk about the pros and cons of each alarm;
http://www.scottcreek.com/alarms.htm

Goodluck, and i hope this is of some help to you. You should find all the info you need...

Tammy Snell
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, November 02, 2005 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renee
Thanks soooo much!!

Kim S
Neonate
Username: Kim

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tammy,
I have used the Foalert for a couple of years. It does work very well as a back-up. My apartment was actually attached to the barn, so when the alarm went off it only took me a minute to get to the mare. We also had a phone dialer hooked up to it. The alarm would go off and then it would call up to four different numbers with a pre-recorded message. Works great for calling the horse's owner or even the vet.

The problems of relying completely on the Foalert, The mare has to be within range of the receiver for it to work, the transmitter has a tendencey to get dirty as it is sewn on the vulva and needs to be cleaned on a regular basis and the last problem is that it doesn't go off until the mare has broken her water and the amniotic sac is already presenting. If it is a normal foaling, then it isn't much of a problem, but if there is a problem and you are more than a minute or two from the barn, it could turn into a large problem by the time you reached the mare. The other downfall of the system is that it is rather spendy and the transmitters only last for so long, then need to be replaced.

I only had a problem with one mare who rubbed the transmitter off which set off the alarm falsely.

I have also used the Foal Watch kit and think it works well also.

I hope this helps a bit.

Tammy Snell
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim
Thanks for the input, I think I will use the halter alarm along with a camera system. Can you tell me where I can get the Foal Watch Kit?
Thanks!!! Tammy

Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FoalWatch is made by a company called Chemetrics - I believe they have a website and I know you can order directly from them. We used to get it from our vet, but discovered if a few people went in on ordering a number of kits at the same time it was cheaper to order directly. We are in Canada so with ordering individual kits the shipping and border costs worked out to the same as the vet's markup, but when a few band in together and split the shipping costs it works out better.

Renee
Yearling

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tammy, here is a website that will give you info and contact info for Foal Watch
http://www.chemetrics.com/analytes/foalwatch.html
Renee

Tammy Snell
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 11:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You Renee! Ok I have another question for yall, I noticed that my mare is starting to produce a "bag", she will be 9 months along on Dec 17, should I be worried? The baby is VERY active every evening.

Tammy

Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is she a maiden? Is it a bag proper, or just a little fluid? I would call the vet about it, but not panic. Could be something, could be nothing!

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tammy, Alot of times the "bag" will appear to start to develop and then like magic it will disappear, especially if this is a maiden mare, although it is seen often in experienced mare as well, alot will depend on the condition of the mare, the feed and hay in which the mare is being fed, and the activity level of the mare. Sometimes they will seem to have a bag with more development in the morning(after standing in a stall all night) and then once they are out and about all day and come in for the night--the "bag" will seem to have disappeared.
Hope this is some help.

Tammy Snell
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Thank you so much you guys, here is some more info, now I feel a little better. Noticed it on tuesday night, tuesday it poured rain all day so she was in and this am it was alittle bigger than last night. I also have within the last week and a half gotten new hay, it is a much ritcher hay and I have also uped her grain a small amount. I was wondering if being in all day and the hay change, and the slight grain up that would be the answer. I get a little nervous as she is a maiden and so am I. She also was confirmed with twins, however, a later U/S confirmed that one twin had one out, and you could visibly see that on the U/S, in fact the remaining pregnancy you could actually see the vertebrea (sp)and the ebtire shape of the baby. Lets hope Iam just a NERVOUS Nellie!!

Tammy Snell
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more thing, what is a "bag proper"?
Tammy

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 159
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

?? I think you are asking what is the proper term for "bag". Udder , but alot of people use the slang term of "bag". In my experience and I think that most would agree what you are seeing is probally pretty typical of a "maiden" mare. But what would concern me would be the twin situation--but as I understand your second post is that the twin no longer exists from what was seen in a ultra sound? If all that you are seeing is some swelling in the udder that goes up and down with the activity level throughout the day and night , then i would be apt to say there is no worry--additional grain and a richer hay can promote better udder development , as well as better quality of both too, producing better milk development and quanity of it as well in a nursing mare. But if there are any questions in your mind a vet call is always worth a piece of mind, especially for first timers !!

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 160
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That halter device sounds sortta neat, are they very costly ? I could use them on most of my mares , but I have one mare that foals standing up, or at least she begins her foaling process in the upright position. She does not lay down many times until the water has broken and the feet are coming out.

Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I meant by a "bag proper", was did she really seem to be developing an udder, or was it just a little increase. You will often see the development of fluid in a maiden mare's udder much earlier than an experienced mare, because it has never been stretched out. You wouldn't notice the same amount of development in a seasoned mare. My maiden did this too me at day 240, pretty much had me in a panic for a week!

Renee
Yearling

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim, The halter foaling alarms are supposed to be good. I am actually waiting on one to arrive here on Monday, so ill be able to give you first hand experience soon enough. They are around the Thousand dollar mark... so not too bad considering it can save a foal and mare, and you some sleep!!! :-)

Tammy Snell
Weanling

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanted to give you guys an update, you are all so informative and encouraging. My mare now seems to have some fluid in front of her udder, on her belly, I noticed that today sat. not much of the fluid or swelling goes down during the day, w/turnout, doesnt get worse but not much of a change. It seems to go up at night and not come down much during the day\clipart I have been reading A LOT trying to ease my mind, I will also be calling the vet on monday AM just to come take a look. Till then I will keep my fingers crossed. Boy I thought I would be excited to be in the shoes of all you expecting breeders, not so sure now!

Tammy{chewfingernails}

Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds exactly like how my maiden mare's udder went at around day 240. She had a little fluid in front of the udder right from about 120 days, but at day 240 there started to be distinctly more fluid and it moved into her udder. I was pretty nervous for a week or so, but that was all the development she had until she was closer to her due date. Sometimes the fluid would move back into the little pouches in front of her udder. She ended up foaling about 4 days early, so it wasn't a problem. I did call the vet though!

Tammy Snell
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hate to say this but she now has fluid dripping out last night it was a orange clear fluid, today it is an opaque white. Iam sick to my stomach about this. I wil not be getting any sleep tonight. Can anyone ease my mind. she is like about 260 days

Renee
Yearling

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tammy,
I would call your vet out asap. She shouldnt have milk dripping already.
Please let us know how you go, and fingers crossed for you
Renee

Tammy Snell
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Renee
Just talked to the vet and she was not worried, she has some fluid dripping looks like Very watered milk kinda sticky. Vet said she would worry if the fluid was thick and very white. Mare has nothing else going on, eating drinking all good, no temp. Her bag is hard but not all that sensitive, her teats are not full. Her but is normal vulva normal, etc. Just turned her out in the indoor she was her normal self. If I notice any changes I will have the vet out ASAP. Not sure what else can be done????
Tammy

Renee
Yearling

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tammy,
Thats good news. I hope its all smooth sailing for you then.
Keep us posted!!
Renee

Tammy Snell
Weanling

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renee-
Bad news - my mare aborted twins last night sometime. My heart is sick for her, she is such a wonderful mare, Thankfully all is good with her, she is a trooper!! I guess I will be waiting until spring to try all this again. It is sooooooooo frustrating to go 8.5 months and have this ending. I will also be taking her to a repro specialist after she is bred again, for fear of the twin thing, so I guesss my next venture will be seeking out a good specialist, If anyone can reccomend someone, I am in Massachusetts, with access to Tufts Vet School, but I dont know if there is anyone else or even anyone at Tufts. Well its been a long morning, gonna see if I can get some down time. Thank You to all for your prior info.
Tammy

Dorthy (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So sorry about your loss

Kim Winter
Nursing Foal
Username: Clafairy

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Im really sorry to hear that tammy - have been following your posts - Mines 5.5months and it goes so slowly when your first time breeding and waiting for results - Hope you get what you want from your mare next time around. All the best.

Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear that Tammy, but better that she aborted them now without difficulty than risk losing her along with the foals if she had carried to term.

Tammy Snell
Weanling

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all for your support, I have a quick question, is it true it could take up to 24 hrs to pass the fetal membrane??? I seem to be a little gun shy in relying on my vet now! Thanks!
Tammy

Renee
Yearling

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tammy,
I am so sorry to hear that! I feared that was what was going on when you said she was leaking milk already... I really feel for you and your mare. It is a long time to wait and have such a sad outcome! I am so glad your mare is ok, and i am sure you will have better luck next spring. Thinking of you both...
Renee

Emma
Weanling
Username: Emma

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 11:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tammy
Sorry to hear about your mare, as to your question, It is not good to leave retained membranes any longer than 4 hours, If they are left longer infection will set in. It is common practise for any mares here who retain there membranes any longer than 4 hours to get a vet to remove them and then flush the mare out and also give her a Oxytocin injection to help her uterous contract back up and also help empty it. Sometimes the vet will have to come out again in a couple of days to do a second flush and also a second Oxtytocin jab.

Sandy Pintaric
Neonate
Username: Sandy3695

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 07:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tammy,

So sorry for your loss! It's what all of us new breeders fear. As far as retaining placental membranes, I'd been told three hours by my vet, but in no case 24! That leads to infection, which can leave you with a sterile or subfertile mare, or even founder. I hope that this situation has resolved itself by now.

I'm with you about finding another vet. Usually twin pregnancies can be detected on ultrasound and can be (and should be if at all possible) pinched off by the vet. Very easy if the embryos are in opposite horns, not so easy if they're side by side (but it can be done if the circumstances are right). If they can't be separated to pinch off one, my opinion is that they should both be pinched off so you can start over. As you've so sadly found out, equine twin pregnancies end with the death of one or both foals, the mare or all three. Most stud fees come with a live foal guarantee (stands and nurses), so rebreeding isn't super expensive--you usually just pay a chute fee and shipping. And none of this is repro-vet necessary; a good general vet should be able to do this. Although in your position I'd definitely have a repro vet come out, because of whatever complications might exist from the pregnancy loss.

We live in Ohio, about three hours from Ohio State. I took a four day breeding management course from them last December, and am going again in about a week. Superb course, and they treated us like vets--we did all the palpation, biopsies, etc. that the vets did. Colorado State has an excellent program, if you're out that way, and you could check with your local state agricultural university to see if they offer anything.

There were three books that have helped me enormously: Veterinary Guide to Horse Breeding, by Giffin MD and Darling DVM, The Complete Book of Foaling by Karen Hayes DVM, and Complete Foaling Manual by Theresa Jones.

I send you hugs through the Internet. Good luck.

Sandy

Sandy Pintaric
Neonate
Username: Sandy3695

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 07:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more thing, Tammy--I wouldn't wait until after she's bred to get a repro specialist out. I'd do it before you breed her.

Tammy Snell
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all-
Well had the vet out yesterday afternoon to give oxytocin, and he was sure he got all that was left (membrane) however this AM she had a temp of 104, Iam currently waiting for the vet AGAIN. I pray that she will be ok, she seems ok shes eating here and there, but she definitely is not feeling well. I feel so bad for her as I was the one that started all this by breeding her. She just seems lost, after all that work delivering and she has nothing to show for it, the guilt on my part is overwhelming!!! I will be seeking out a repro specialist before I breed her again, and the twins were side by side on the US but one of them was soooo small my vet thought it would be starved out.Live and learn I will never take that chance agin, I guess 50/50. When they were born the filly was beautiful well developed great size and very healthy. The colt was VERY small and not normal, trouble causing little bugger! he just staked his ground and wouldn't go away. Keep your fingers crossed for my mare, she was very healthy going into and during all this, hopefully she will come out the same way
Tammy

Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck Tammy, I hope your mare pulls through this OK. If your vet told you 24 hours to pass the placenta - get a new vet. Any vet I've ever used said to call them if it hadn't been passed in 2 hours.

Kim k
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sorry for your loss. I know the guilty feeling , its not good. Just remember that someone has a different plan and if they were carried to full term you may have had more complications. Best of luck to you , will be thinking of you
Kim

Tammy Snell
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just thought I would update everyone. My mare is at Tufts Vet Hospital. This is how it goes. I have had the same vet for 30 yrs he owns his own practice, large and small, he has 3 other vets that work for him and with him. I called them after about 3 hours had passed to inform them that whatever was hanging had still not been passed, that was about 12:00noon they arrived at 4:00pm to do what I posted prior. Long story short the vet that works with my vet came out this AM was not comfortable with waiting on the antibiotics and advised me to take her to be flushed. My chief vet wanted me to wait, hope Iam making sense, its been a long 48 hrs. What I have learned is that while my vet is Wonderful at everything else, he sucks at repro work, ok lesson learned, If, and that is a BIG if I ever decide to do this again I will find the best repro vet I can.

Tufts said they feel I got her there in time, however, there is still a piece of placenta attached to her utrine wall, Iam sure I dont have to go into the fine print to you all to explain. So please, please keep fingers crossed for her, I will be devasted if this gets any worse.
Tammy

Emma
Weanling
Username: Emma

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tammy, Thats just horible, what a hard way to learn. I hope everything goes OK with your mare. She has been through a lot so she sounds like she is tuff! Fingers and toes crossed.

Renee
Yearling

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 12:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tammy,
What a nightmare you and your mare are living right now. I am so sorry.
I hope and pray that your mare comes out of this all well and healthy. I am so sorry your introduction to breeding began like this! **Hugs for you and the mare***
Renee

Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please let us know how she does. I'll be sending good thoughts your mare's way.

Tammy Snell
Weanling

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a quick update, my mare seems to be doing well. She is on 1/2 dose of bannamine and fever has not spiked. Feet are still cool, and digital pulse is good. Last night the iced her feet. Still waiting to get the blood work re: toxcicity, Iam hoping that her temp staying down is a good indicator. The piece of placenta seems a little more loose than yesterday phewwwwww.

I think when she comes home she will be my daugters show horse. She is honestly the best mare, and yes she is pretty tough. Hooves still crossed. Thank you guys again for all the support Tammy

Tammy Snell
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally some good news, just spoke with the hospital, my mare finally passed what was left of the placenta last night!!!! wooohooooooo! after a couple more flushings, when it becomes clean they said she should be able to come home, possibly tomorrow after noon or sunday, I cant wait to put this entire episode behind me! I know I sound like a broken record but Thank You, all of you for all your well wishes. I dont know if you will be seeing me on this board as an expectant mom anymore, but I will stay in touch, keeping the info I learned that may help someone else not have to go thru what I did.

Thank you again!!!!! Tammy

Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 10:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news Tammy!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US