SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Changes in milk????

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Changes in milk???? « Previous Next »

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 09:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,I am hoping someone can shed some light here for me...I bought a Mare in April, she became ill, so I thought(in June). Took her to the vet, ran alot of test and all that came back was she was in foal. Well I am new to the foaling thing, I have been watching her like a hawk since we have no due date on her. Vet thought she was due in July, and won't do a ultra sound since she was so close. They didn't want it on their hands if they broke the sac. Okay so now here we sit....she has gain nice weight, I haven't felt the baby, her tail area is like jello..but not sunk, Milk was a water..to yellow water...to yellow sticky...then last thrus. night she went to a skim milk or 2%...white but water that you could see through it..then tues night it went milk white..can't see the bottom of black plastic with one drop. Can anyone tell me how many more months or weeks this could go on for???? I think we must be in the last month????? Hoping someone out there checked milk before or knows some of these changes I have typed...Please I want to learn and need help??? Also tonight her vulva opens far and ya can see way up in it..but its not long like the books say, is there something wrong???? I know thats gross...but I guess I been watching everything to a tee...maybe someday I can help someone else from what I have learned and saw...Thanks Pam}}}

Emma
Neonate
Username: Emma

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I know that my mares milk went white and she foaled within 1 hour of it turning. I think once the milk changes white you have a 24 - 36hour time frame for when she foals, It wouldn't surprise me if by the time you get this message she has foaled.

Kim v.
Yearling
Username: Twhgait

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like she's progressing towards foaling very soon.....just stay with her to be present for the birth, but like Emma says, it may have happened already!

Pam (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, well no foal yet...she still has the white milk and no other signs that I didn't already post....how long could she have this milk for...she went through the water to yellow to skim milk....since last Thrus. the 15th and has had white for 3 days now...so can this last for sometime then???? so far she doesn't know how to read the text book cause she hasn't followed it so far...lol Thanks Pam}

Emma
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Pam, most mares unfortunatly don't read the text book, I'm a little puzzled by her, but just keep a close eye on her it doesnt sound like it will be long. There is no rock solid times with these things. Just look on the bright side, It has to come out sooner or later! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's sooner for you!

Pam (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay being new and all she has skim milk, since I took a pictures of her milk and got some skim to see the diff....now can someone kinda give me som clues on how long this stage can last???? I really need sleep right now if I can, I have no due date on her so this has been a long 3 months since we found out and are blood test pretty much right???? Thanks alot Pam

Pam Worrell (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI. We check the teat position as well as milk color. Are her teats pointing down, out or inward? When they are more out/down she is closer. You can also get a milk test and test her milk. The test is pretty accurate and is only $35 from Valley vet, Omaha Vaccine, any of those type stores. (they will overnight it to you) It is called the Foaling Predictor test or the Milk test. Saves lots of time worrying.

Renee
Weanling
Username: Reneec

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam,
Do you have a new arrival yet??
It sure sounds like she is really really close! I would have thought she'd have had it already! But if she is in no discomfort, then she'll be fine/ Keep us posted!!
How full is her udder?? Is it still soft, or is it really hard? Have you seen any foal movement up near her tail? Has she acted out of the ordinary for her normal temperament? These are all also signs of impending foaling. Goodluck!

Pam (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good morning, Nope still no foal, she has been very crabby towards the geldings I have, biting, whinning and pushy. But towards us she is fine as long as you rub her tummy she just stands and bobs her head. Udder is still soft, with the skim? milk color even thought ya can't see throught black plastic. The belly hangs real low still, tail head is still jello but not dropped any...and we are going on 2 weeks of these changes. This is so hard not knowing a date..the people we bought her from said there was no way she was in foal....But he had a stud there, now a gelding. Funny he also said geesh maybe I should check my other mares. I know our blood work showed her in foal, so he prob. has alot of them due now. She breathes fast sometimes then she slows down again she has done this 2 times over the week end, but other then that seems okay eating and keeping the boys away from her stall and stays far away from them when let out for a snack in the field. Still hanging in there...Pam

Emma
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi pam, the milk my mares have had just before foaling has been like cows milk and very sticky. I have also been told that when she is within hours from foaling the milk gets very sweet to taste (im not suggesting you drink a glass of it just taste a drop)Her bag will also become very hard and will stay hard. Once she starts to show these signs then you well on your way to having a cute little bub on the ground. Hope this has helped a bit more

ftdarabians (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Pam, I too know how it feels to be waiting blind so to speak. Last year we purchased a two year old mare that started bagging the end of june; so we had her palpated and guess what she was in foal. The people didn't bother to tell us there was a possibility of her being bred as a yearling!!! I also used the milk calcium test strips, ultimatley they were right on but the first time they tested the highest block (depends on the brand you use)she was spraying milk down her legs so I could have guessed it would be soon five hours later and in the middle of the day! Nevertheless though even with the strips my husband slept in the barn for almost three weeks as we felt it was absolutely necessary to be there because of her age and the possibility for complications. It is frustrating though especially when you're sleep deprived. Hang in there she can't stay pregnant forever.

Anonymous

Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 06:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi I am new to this but would also like some help our little mare was purchased at the end of may 05, since then she has got bigger and bigger, the pervious owner said there was no way she was in foal even though she was running with a stallion, she has not bagged up much but when you squeeze her teats there is a definate stream of milk, Vet could not do internal on her but thought she was in foal by putting the ultra sound just on her belly, looks like the vulva area may be changing a little, anyone please shed some light for me,

Kim k
Breeding Stock
Username: Kimk

Post Number: 419
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 07:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if she was running with a stallion , sure there is a chance , unless for some unknown medical problem that would prevent it from happening(unknow to you-not disclosed from previous owner) Sure she could be pg.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock
Username: Katheekj

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have a pic of your mare? Has she ever foaled before.

Anonymous

Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, Yes this little mare foaled in November 2004 and was put back with the stallion in December 2004, I bought her in May 2005, when would she be due approx, any help would be great as I have never had anything to do with horses and as the vet only visits once a month I am a little lost.

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Generally, they come in season 9 days after foaling and then every 28 days after that (approximately - every horse can be a little different) until the winter months. It is affected by the hours of daylight although some mares will season year round. I would think that if the stallion had no reproduction problems and your mare has none that there is almost no way she is not pregnant after spending 5 months with him. Can you post a picture of her?
There is no real due date. There is an average of 340 days, but the range of 320 to 370 is considered normal and they are not past due if they exceed 340 days. Under 300 days in full size horses the foal will not survive. If she has actual milk in her udders, it would seem she is very close. The "bigger and bigger" comment would support this also. There is a wide range of external shapes a mare will take on. Some "look like they swallowed a coffee table" and others look like they are just overweight. Usually a mare that has delivered before will show more than one that hasn't, but it also depends on her size and conformation. A pic would help alot.

(Message edited by katheekj on March 04, 2006)

Kathee McGuire
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 08:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an example of the difference in mares, these two were bred with days of each other and one is much bigger than the other.
http://photobucket.com/albums/d106/katheekj/?action=view&current=10monthsFrontvi ew.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/100_5700.jpg

patti ann carlson
Neonate
Username: Pattiann46

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi I'm new here also....have question...I bought a mare that was bred 8/7 & 8/8 2006 she has due date of 7/14/0r 15 this week!! vet had said she wasn't in foal, but girl I bought horse from said he could have missed it back then. anyway the last week or so her milk glands have gotten bigger...yesterday her milk was kinda milky clear today it is more milky looking, hasn't bagged up but is big in fron of teats and down her belly.she was round belly looking and the last few days she isn't round anymore, just a bit lower...have seen no movement...can mare have this milk and swollen glands and not be in foal?? also this am she stopped eatting and dripped a little urine(?) walked out to corner and pooped and came back to eat, is this normal?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no such thing as a due date in the equine - the average range of normal foaling is anywhere between 320-370 days (so if you like due dates, the mare has 50 of them! :-)).

Having said that - get your mare checked by a vet. You need to know if she is about to foal as there are things that should be done to assist the foal (e.g. immunize the mare to increase colostral antibody levels), and you need to be prepared to watch the mare in case there are any problems foaling.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US