SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Breech foal- sad story

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Breech foal- sad story « Previous Next »

Coco
Breeding Stock
Username: Baraaks_storm

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the worst of the worst came about last night for my friend. She called me at 5:42 last night and said something was wrong with her mare (Missouri Fox Trotter) who was 311 days. When I got to her house (right close) I called my vet thinking we had a red bag delivery as I just saw red until I got into the stall with her. Come to find out that it wasn't red bag but that the sac had broken inside the mare and there was no baby with the mare straining.

My vet had me reach in the bag and see what I could feel. I wasn't sure but I thought it was a tail and butt. When My vet got there she confirmed it was butt and that we'd already lost the baby, now it was saving the mare.

C-Section was not an option at being qoated 5-7,000 with no issues, so we tried another that was 3-5,000 and took her to UF. Price was then quoted again at 5-7 but we were looking at 8,000 and we're planning to have Princess (mother) put down. Vet said foal was breech and also upside down, a fluke of nature that couldn't have gone more wrong for us.

Vets decided to try and hoist Princess up after being put under and try to manually manipulate the foal. After an hour they were able to get one back leg straight out, but the other wouldm't budge and they cut it off to get the rest of the leg straight. After 2 hours rolled around they had to call it quits and let mother nature reign.

Princess was put down around 3:30 AM after being a wonderfull broodmare with more than 15 foals on the ground with never any issues foaling. She will be missed but is survived by many foals, one of which the owners have and will never sell now (2 year old filly).

The vets said that the way everything went, they felt the foal was deformed because they could feel intesting, and that the foal had been dead a while and never got to rotate into correct position when mare tried to deliver. This was just a case of the bad going horrible.

My thoughts are just on how often can a live breech happen (without baby being dead so it couldn't turn). How common is breech foals?

Kim Peavy
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 600
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just so so sorry for your loss. This is just so sad to read. Hugs to you

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3177
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Breech presentations are rare on the equine, but deliverance of a live foal is almost non-existent. It is usually a rapid progression to saving the mare... :-(

Coco
Breeding Stock
Username: Baraaks_storm

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2011 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jos for the information. I know that a lot can go wrong with foaling but it's still sad to see happen.

Cheryl Johnson
Neonate
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 12:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't know that breech delivery usually ends in dead foal, even if one intervenes right away. Sad. Sounds like nothing could have been done then.

Katrina O'Neal
Neonate
Username: Katrina

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Per Karen Hayes DVM book, breech is rare -- about 1 in 500 cases.

I had my own experience with breech early in my breeding career. I was there -- as soon as the water broke I cleaned up, washed the mare and stuck a (gloved) hand in. Felt like it was a wall.

Immediately called the vet, and she was 40 minutes aways. Meanwhile the mare started hard labor.

Vet arrived, and after several failed attempted, finally managed to perform an epidural on the mare.

Vet was amazed to find the mare actually moving the foal down the birth canal! We got straps on the hind legs and began to pull...I SO wish the vet (a woman) had told me to call for man-help!

We did get the filly out and she was alive, but died about 5 minutes later. I've often wonder if oxygen or quicker help might have made a difference...but this thread makes me feel alittle better that we did the best we could.

BTW, mare was fine...she didn't even tear...

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3200
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You indicate that the mare was "moving the foal down the birth canal"" and that you "got straps on the hind legs". From these comments, I presume that it was the hind legs that were engaged in the birth canal and therefore moving down it.

If so, it was not a true breech presentation, but a reverse presentation. In a breech presentation, the rump of the foal is presented at the cervix, and the hind legs (and forelegs of course) are still pointing downwards in the uterus and not entering (and cannot enter) the birth canal. With a reverse presentation, the hind legs enter the birth canal and then the rump (rather than the head and forelegs). In fact, a mare can often foal unaided with a reverse presentation, but the biggest issue is that as the foal's abdomen passes over the mare's pelvic brim, the umbilicus is likely to be pinched off, preventing the passage of oxygenated blood to the foal. Consequently there is a high risk of hypoxia or even death during the foaling process, with (in the case of hypoxia) production of an hypoxic ischemic encephalopathic foal (aka "dummy" or "neonatal maladjustment syndrome" foal).

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US